EIDE as 2nd controller, 3rd drive need driver driver

EIDE as 2nd controller, 3rd drive need driver driver

Post by Steve Walk » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I need to find out if anyone has built a device driver for the
PROMISE Technology Inc. EIDEmax disk controller, which is used as the
SECONDARY controller with a third driver. or how to build a /dev/hdc
driver FAQ?

I need the device driver /dev/hdc, in order to re-compile the kernel for
a new boot floppy/system in order for linux fdisk to recognize my third drive.

 DRIVE ONE: first controller IDE
  /dev/hda1 first controller first partition

 DRIVE TWO:
  /dev/hdb1 first controller first partition          slave drive

*DRIVE THREE: Promise Technology EIDEmax
  /dev/hdc1 SECOND controller first partition

Any ideas/help?

Thank-you,
Steve A. Walker

Post by bill davids » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

| I need to find out if anyone has built a device driver for the
| PROMISE Technology Inc. EIDEmax disk controller, which is used as the
| SECONDARY controller with a third driver. or how to build a /dev/hdc
| driver FAQ?

Recent kernels support the dual controllers of EIDE. If you have
your two controllers setup with the correct IO addresses and
interrupts you should get instant gratification. If not, EIDE
controllers with 2S+P run about $19-$39 depending on the bus
(ISA/EISA/VLB/PCI) and quality of the UARTs. You could save a slot
and a lot of trouble buy throwing a $20 bill at the problem.

| I need the device driver /dev/hdc, in order to re-compile the kernel for
| a new boot floppy/system in order for linux fdisk to recognize my third drive.

See above. Configured right it should work with the standard EIDE
controller.

1. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

Hi to All!
  I have a NEC PowerMatev75 w/32MB RAM, and 2 EIDE drives.  They used to be
on the same chain, but when I installed them in this machine I gave each
its own drive controller.  Linux fdisk doesn't see the second hdd, or I
don't know how to tell it the right address.  /dev/hda doesn't work, and
neither does /dev/hdb.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Doug Hayden

2. SmartMedia and PCMCIA

3. EIDE as 2nd controller with third driver

4. Diskless-PC does not boot Linux via 3c905c NIC :-(

5. Help Mounting 3rd IDE drive on a single KT410A EIDE controller

6. Migrating net/sched to new module interface

7. IDE/EIDE controller device drivers

8. Emergency, please help

9. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

10. Linux Driver for EIDE controller?

11. Kernel driver for 2nd HD controller?

12. Need driver for 3rd H

13. Need driver for 3rd HD