Newbie question - which Linux version is best for making music?

Newbie question - which Linux version is best for making music?

Post by jlfonlin » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:29:40

I'm a newbie that is just beginning the study of Linux. So far, I've just
read the "Introduction To Linux" book from the Linux Documentation Project.

A primary use I'd like to make of my computer, would be for recording the
music I create & perform. I'd like to be able to listen to a track as I
perform an accompaniment track - then, merge things later. When I'm
satisfied with the final song, I'd like to have the option of writing it
onto CD as raw data or as MP3. Being of very limited means, I need to keep
the cost as low as possible - free, hopefully. I have no idea what software
is out there to do what I intend, or which version of Linux would be best
suited to the application.

Anybody have some insights, or recommendations, they could give me?

JLF

Newbie question - which Linux version is best for making music?

Post by Peter Pa » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 04:52:50

Your question concerning the music is rather specific and I cannot help you
there. As far as a distribution, try one of the major ones SUSE, Mandrake
(both usually very easy installs) or Red Hat. These all allow CD-burning as
you want.

Use e.g. rpmfind.net, sourceforge.net and others to check for software for
music manipulation

Jos

Quote:> I'm a newbie that is just beginning the study of Linux. So far, I've just

http://www.linux-sound.org

Post by jlfonlin » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:32:59

> > I'm a newbie that is just beginning the study of Linux. So far, I've
just
> > read the "Introduction To Linux" book from the Linux Documentation
Project.

> > A primary use I'd like to make of my computer, would be for recording
the
> > music I create & perform. I'd like to be able to listen to a track as I
> > perform an accompaniment track - then, merge things later. When I'm
> > satisfied with the final song, I'd like to have the option of writing it
> > onto CD as raw data or as MP3. Being of very limited means, I need to
keep
> > the cost as low as possible - free, hopefully. I have no idea what
software
> > is out there to do what I intend, or which version of Linux would be
best
> > suited to the application.

> > Anybody have some insights, or recommendations, they could give me?

> http://www.linux-sound.org

======================================

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

JLF

Post by jlfonlin » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:33:44

> Your question concerning the music is rather specific and I cannot help
you
> there. As far as a distribution, try one of the major ones SUSE, Mandrake
> (both usually very easy installs) or Red Hat. These all allow CD-burning
as
> you want.

> Use e.g. rpmfind.net, sourceforge.net and others to check for software for
> music manipulation

> Jos

> > I'm a newbie that is just beginning the study of Linux. So far, I've
just
> > read the "Introduction To Linux" book from the Linux Documentation
> Project.

> > A primary use I'd like to make of my computer, would be for recording
the
> > music I create & perform. I'd like to be able to listen to a track as I
> > perform an accompaniment track - then, merge things later. When I'm
> > satisfied with the final song, I'd like to have the option of writing it
> > onto CD as raw data or as MP3. Being of very limited means, I need to
keep
> > the cost as low as possible - free, hopefully. I have no idea what
> software
> > is out there to do what I intend, or which version of Linux would be
best
> > suited to the application.

> > Anybody have some insights, or recommendations, they could give me?

> > JLF

===================================

Thanks!

JLF

Post by jlfonlin » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:46:34

> > I'm a newbie that is just beginning the study of Linux. So far, I've
just
> > read the "Introduction To Linux" book from the Linux Documentation
Project.

> > A primary use I'd like to make of my computer, would be for recording
the
> > music I create & perform. I'd like to be able to listen to a track as I
> > perform an accompaniment track - then, merge things later. When I'm
> > satisfied with the final song, I'd like to have the option of writing it
> > onto CD as raw data or as MP3. Being of very limited means, I need to
keep
> > the cost as low as possible - free, hopefully. I have no idea what
software
> > is out there to do what I intend, or which version of Linux would be
best
> > suited to the application.

> > Anybody have some insights, or recommendations, they could give me?

> http://www.linux-sound.org

======================================

I just got through taking a skim through that website.

WOW!

What a load of information & links is accumulated there!

Thanks :)

JLF

1. Best version of Linux to install for a Linux/Unix newbie

I recently installed both Red Hat 6.0 and Caldera 2.2 on my laptop(1
distribution at a time of course). Caldera's installation GUI was
friendlier but Red Hat did a better job of correctly configuring my
display, modem and printer. I never did get Caldera to print properly from
my Toshiba Satellite 2545CDS. I have been very happy with the Red Hat
distribution and Star Office (which came the Caldera package). Good luck!

Craig

2. how to disable Stronghold passphrase protection

3. Kerberos

4. Mozilla: 2 GETs on every Reload.

5. Newbie: What is best packaged version of Linux?

6. KOffice broken

7. Which version of X86 based UNIX makes the best NFS file server?

8. Newbie to Linux question. Which version of Linux?

9. Making Music with Linux

10. Best apps for Linux-based music production