Problem Installing Redhat Linux 7.1

Post by Arvind Devaraja » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:34:32

hi,
        i am facing a strange problem installing Redhat 7.1 on my Pentium
100MHz, 16MB RAM machine.
        i am trying to install RH7.1 using loadlin: from the RH7.1 CD, i
used the vmlinuz image and the initrd.imd ramdrive for it. Command:
"loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img". I then get the messages
"Uncompressing linux", etc., and, after some priliminary messages, the
first message dialog (text based dialog) that pops up is: "You do not have
sufficient system memory to install Redhat on your system", with an "ok"
button, pressing which, the system shuts down without proceeding.
        I don't understand why this is occurring, though i have a 16MB
ram. I also tried passing "mem=16M" to loadlin, no luck.
        please help me!

regards,
arvind.

Problem Installing Redhat Linux 7.1

Post by Jeffrey S. Klin » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:09:53

I think it already told you!!! <grin>  16 Meg of Ram would have been fine if
your using ole Redhat 5.2 or something like that. The new kernels and all
that overheaded loaders, etc.. are all there but they've grown up a bit and
hence need more than 16 meg. Last I looked, a minimum was 32 meg of ram and
that is bare minimum..

--

Cheers;
Jeff

Quote:> hi,
> i am facing a strange problem installing Redhat 7.1 on my Pentium
> 100MHz, 16MB RAM machine.
> i am trying to install RH7.1 using loadlin: from the RH7.1 CD, i
> used the vmlinuz image and the initrd.imd ramdrive for it. Command:
> "loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img". I then get the messages
> "Uncompressing linux", etc., and, after some priliminary messages, the
> first message dialog (text based dialog) that pops up is: "You do not have
> sufficient system memory to install Redhat on your system", with an "ok"
> button, pressing which, the system shuts down without proceeding.
> I don't understand why this is occurring, though i have a 16MB
> ram. I also tried passing "mem=16M" to loadlin, no luck.
> please help me!

> regards,
> arvind.

1. Problems installing NIS+ client on Linux RedHat 7.1

Hi,
I have just compiled and installed NIS+ client (1.4.1) on a new Linux
Red Hat 7.1.  Our server is a Solaris 7 Sparc server.

There seem to be a problem with the portmap when I start the nis+
client. Here are the network packets exchanged between the client and
the server :

client.domain -> server.domain PORTMAP C GETPORT prog=100300 (NIS+) vers=3 proto=TCP (retransmit)
server.domain -> client.domain PORTMAP R GETPORT port=32772
client.domain -> server.domain ICMP Destination unreachable (Bad port)

The commands executed on the client is as usual :
% domainname domain
% nisinit -c -H server.domain
And no I did not forget to put credentials for the client on the
server. So I think everything is right, except that the PORTMAP goes
crazy when it receives the answer from the server...

HELP ME PLEASE, or give me a pointer where to find the right
information. Does RedHat have support for this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
--
Daniel Ouimet   Administrateur des systemes informatiques, CRM

Universite de Montreal, CRM,  C.P. 6128, succursale Centre-Ville
Montreal (Quebec) H3C 3J7, CANADA
(514) 343-6992        FAX: (514) 343-2254

2. sunos 4.1.3 boot won't complete

3. Problem installing RedHat 7.1 on Dell Latitude

4. Pioneer ROM changers on Linux?

5. Problem installing KDE 3.0 on Redhat 7.1

6. Microsoft using Linux

7. installing-problems with redhat 7.1.

8. FreeBSD SMP problem

9. problem in installing 2940uw in redhat 7.1

10. Redhat 7.1 / Promise Ultra 66 install problem.

11. Problems installing Bestcrypt on Redhat 7.1

12. Problem installing Redhat 7.1

13. KDE 2.2 & Redhat 7.1 - Install problem