xdm / graphic login

Post by Jan Schauman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings all,

now this happened to me for the third time or so:
My X hung and I opened a VT and killed the X-session. Since I boot into
runlevel 5, it should respawn the X. Usually this works. but every now
and then, it does not and there is no X anymore.
Now I can certainly startx buy hand, but I could not figure out how to
set up the xdm so that it respawns when X is exited (ie when I log out
of my x-session).

I remember that ps x showed x running something like "X --auth something
something"...

who knows the correct syntax (the one that's called from the
start-scripts when booting into runlevel 5) to hand-start the
background-x-daemon?

TIA,

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann
http://jschauma-0.dsl.speakeasy.net/

xdm / graphic login

Post by Kevi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Look for your startup scripts - distributions can differ on this
layout...

Under SuSE, the scripts are stored in /etc/rc.d and the file
/etc/rc.d/xdm is the script for starting/stopping/restarting X.

With this environment, if X hangs, simply open a VT and (as root) type:

/etc/rc.d/xdm restart

which will kill then re-start X.