'make config' Doesn't work in RH 5.2?

Post by Antioc » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I was trying to setup my nic in Linux and part of the instructions state
I have to use the 'make config' cmd to edit the kernel. Problem is I get
a bash saying make is not a recognized cmd. Any ideas? I am currently
running Redhat Linux 5.2. The file that has my nic info is called
Rtl8029.c.

Regards,
-DS

Post by Patrik Magnuss » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

|> I was trying to setup my nic in Linux and part of the instructions state
|> I have to use the 'make config' cmd to edit the kernel. Problem is I get
|> a bash saying make is not a recognized cmd. Any ideas? I am currently
|> running Redhat Linux 5.2. The file that has my nic info is called
|> Rtl8029.c.
|>
|> Regards,
|> -DS

The most basic check you can make is if make is installed on
your system. First look manually through your foo/bin directories,
if you can't find it try 'find / -name make'. It will take quite
a lot of time but it will find it, if it exists. If it doesn't,
you need to install it like any other package.

If it exists, make sure it is in a foo/bin directory (e.g. /usr/bin/),
and that you have permission to execute it.

And I recommend you use 'make menuconfig' instead, it's a lot
easier to use. 'make xconfig' is similar, looks better but it
can be a bit slow.

/Patrik, student.

Post by Ben B » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I was trying to setup my nic in Linux and part of the instructions state
>I have to use the 'make config' cmd to edit the kernel. Problem is I get
>a bash saying make is not a recognized cmd. Any ideas? I am currently
>running Redhat Linux 5.2. The file that has my nic info is called
>Rtl8029.c.

>Regards,
>-DS

Just install make.  It is in the C development stuff.

Cheers,
Ben

--
ir. Berend Adam Bos
Corporate Computer Systems

1. Tulip Driver worked under RH 5.0, doesn't under 5.2 or SuSE 5.2, any ideas?

I have been using RH Linux on a Compaq with an onboard DEC 23x4x something
or other.  It was automatically recognized  by the kerner and the tulip
driver was loaded for it.  Been running for months.  I upgraded my system to
RH 5.2, and the card is no longer recognized.  I tried to pass the IRQ and
Memory settings to the kernel, but it was still not recognized.  SuSE,
recognized it as a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PCI which would be fine if it
worked.  I can go down the path of finding the differences between the 5.0
tulip driver and the 5.2 driver, but If anyone has done this already, or run
into this problem, I would appreciate any information.  Thanks

Brian Sutterfield

2. Dell D1526T-HS (15" Trinitron)

3. 'make config' doesn't work

4. fsck question

5. RH 5.2 FTP doesn't work

6. ld can't find -lX11 (and others)

7. -Newbie-KDE doesn't want to work whith RH 5.2...HELPME !!8-)

8. Fix kdev_t in sr, st, sg (2.5.2-pre6)

9. Installed Directory Server 5.2 P4, but 'directoryserver -l' doesn't show version

10. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

11. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

12. Where's the 'config' in 'make config'?

13. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work