XDMCP

Post by jwim.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I was wondering if anyone has set up Redhat 6.0 as a true XDMCP server.
I tried to log into the box using an NCD xterm which logs into Sun
Solaris and HP-UX terminals without problem, as long as the Sun or HP
box is broadcasting itself as an XDMCP server.

The linux box does broadcast itself as XDMCP until you click on it and
try to log in.  At that point, it drops off the list of available
servers, although you can rlogin, telnet, or ftp to it without problem.
I've tried this using KDE, XFCE, or Gnome, none of which work, but the
Xserver works at the actual computer.

Anyone have a solution or ideas why this is happening?  All assistance
is most welcome!

Thanks
Jeff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

XDMCP

Post by Dave Edi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

This is a major problem with RH6.  I needed to set up a server at work where
having a real xdm and font server was essential (it was intended to serve
X terminals), and I ended up installing 5.2 instead.  XDMCP and font service
work great on all previous RH releases.  Only 6.0 is broken.  RH has a white
paper on their web site claiming they did it for security reasons.  If there's
a security hole, they should patch it, not shut the service down.  If RH
doesn't fix this in their next release, I'm going to standardize on another
distribution at work.  If Debian had a decent scriptable installer, I'd
switch in a heartbeat.  If RH got one thing right, it was Kickstart.

If you're determined to get it to work, my only suggestion is to recompile
XFree from source.  Not RH's source RPMs but the original distribution source.
There's nothing in RH that prevents this stuff from working, RH just crippled
it in their release of the X binaries.  I found it much easier to upgrade the
kernel and a few other things in 5.2 than to try to fix the brain-damage in
6.0.

Hey, Redhat, some of us run X over networks....  Ever heard of them?

>I was wondering if anyone has set up Redhat 6.0 as a true XDMCP server.
>I tried to log into the box using an NCD xterm which logs into Sun
>Solaris and HP-UX terminals without problem, as long as the Sun or HP
>box is broadcasting itself as an XDMCP server.

>The linux box does broadcast itself as XDMCP until you click on it and
>try to log in.  At that point, it drops off the list of available
>servers, although you can rlogin, telnet, or ftp to it without problem.
>I've tried this using KDE, XFCE, or Gnome, none of which work, but the
>Xserver works at the actual computer.

>Anyone have a solution or ideas why this is happening?  All assistance
>is most welcome!

>Thanks
>Jeff

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

XDMCP

Post by Morten Bergma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've experienced the same problem. however after this posting I found
a update on the Redhat ftp server
(ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/updates/6.0/i386/) which fixes the
problem.

I just did rpm -ga|grep XF and got a output that looks something like
this :

XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3.1-49
XFree86-Mach64-3.3.3.1-49
XFree86-xfs-3.3.3.1-49
XFree86-libs-3.3.3.1-49
XFree86-3.3.3.1-49

I then downloaded the corresponding RPM's from the site.
Then I did a rpm -U *.rpm in the download directory.

After this upgrade everything works quite fine.

A rpm -ga|grep XF should now give this output:

XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3.1-52
XFree86-Mach64-3.3.3.1-52
XFree86-xfs-3.3.3.1-52
XFree86-libs-3.3.3.1-52
XFree86-3.3.3.1-52

Anyway, this solved the problem for me ...... hope it does the same
for you.

Morten