LILO / scsi-ide boot troubles

Post by Guenther Nowotn » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

hi!

Well, up-to-now I always boot from SCSI (scsi disks /dev/sda,
/dev/sdb, /dev/sdc). Now I bought the first time an IDE harddisk.
Installed on /dev/hda a new linux, lilo and so on, everything looks
fine,
but I can not anymore boot with lilo from the /dev/sd* disks.

# /etc/lilo.conf - LILO configuration file
#
boot = /dev/hda
linear
read-only
vga = normal
delay = 150
#
# Linux
image = /vmlinuz
      root = /dev/hda1
      label = linux
      alias = 1
#
# Linux.old (or Linux.new or Linux.test)
image = /my.vmlinuz
      root = /dev/sda2
      label = linux.old
      alias = 3
#
# WIN95
other = /dev/sdb1
      table = /dev/sdb
      label = win95
      alias = 3
#
# Last Line of /etc/lilo.conf?

if i choose 3, LILO is just writting "Loading 3" and stops... :(
(the bootable-flag is set, and if I deleted the IDE disk
from the BIOS it also works in a proper way...).

(don't ask why I'm using MS$ stuff, ;), but I don't like to install
it once again; and the work-around with the enable/disable the
IDE disk in the BIOS (or changing the boot sequence therein) becomes on
the long term run a little bit tired....)

thanks for any hint!

so long,
-gn

--
 __________    _____     ___   ___
/___   ___/|  /____/ \  /_ /| /_ /|  Guenther NOWOTNY

    | | |    | |__) |/  | |___| | |  URL:   http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/
    | | |    |  ___/    | | | | | |  Institute for Theoretical Physics,
    |_|/     |_|/       |_|/  |_|/   Vienna University of Technology,
Austria.
"I just want to know God thoughts. All the rest are details!" (A.
Einstein)

LILO / scsi-ide boot troubles

Post by Christian Tutschk » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[...]

      alias = 2
#
# WIN95
other = /dev/sdb1
      table = /dev/sdb
      loader = /boot/chain.b
      label = win95
      alias = 3
#
# Last Line of /etc/lilo.conf?

if i choose 3, LILO is just writting "Loading 3" and stops... :(
(the bootable-flag is set, and if I deleted the IDE disk
from the BIOS it also works in a proper way...).

(don't ask why I'm using MS$ stuff, ;), but I don't like to install
it once again; and the work-around with the enable/disable the
IDE disk in the BIOS (or changing the boot sequence therein) becomes on
the long term run a little bit tired....)

thanks for any hint!

so long,
-gn

LILO / scsi-ide boot troubles

Post by Neil Ricke » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, up-to-now I always boot from SCSI (scsi disks /dev/sda,
>/dev/sdb, /dev/sdc). Now I bought the first time an IDE harddisk.
>Installed on /dev/hda a new linux, lilo and so on, everything looks
>fine,
>but I can not anymore boot with lilo from the /dev/sd* disks.
># WIN95
>other = /dev/sdb1
>      table = /dev/sdb
>      label = win95
>      alias = 3
>if i choose 3, LILO is just writting "Loading 3" and stops... :(
>(the bootable-flag is set, and if I deleted the IDE disk
>from the BIOS it also works in a proper way...).

Try the following:

  dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/boot/w95bootsect count=1

That copies the bootsector to a file.  Now change the last
lilo section to

  other = /boot/w95bootsect
     label = win95
     alias = 3

If 'lilo' complains, add the line 'loader = /boot/chain.b'.

The above changes will not fix your problem.  But they should
be the first step toward a solution.

Now edit the file 'w95bootsect'.  You will need a binary (or
hexadecimal) edit, such as 'bpe'.  The byte at offset +0x24 should
contain '0x80'.  Patch in here the BIOS code for the disk.  It is
probably 0x81 or 0x82.  (This might not work if you are using
FAT32).

LILO / scsi-ide boot troubles

Post by Rick Turne » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> hi!

> Well, up-to-now I always boot from SCSI (scsi disks /dev/sda,

I had the same thing as you - when I inserted an IDE drive in a system that
was originally all SCSI I found that LILO would not boot from a (perfectly
valid) partition on a SCSI disk. Best I could get out of it was a
kernel-panic crash, sometimes not even that.

In the end I partitioned the IDE drive in half. The first partition
(/dev/hda1) is the Windoze C: drive and the other (/dev/hda2) is my linux
root partition. Works fine.

Rick

LILO / scsi-ide boot troubles

Post by Leslie Ha » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Has anyone gotten a Dual Processor (300 MHz PII) HP Kayak XU
to Dual boot with Linux and NT. We are trying (Redhat 5.0 + some
XFREE 3.3.2 stuff), but can't get LILO to work correctly. We've
succeeded on a couple of other Dual PII systems, so we are looking
to see if there is anything peculiar about the Kayak XU. We have
two factory installed 4.5 Gig drives, 256Meg memory + the standard
stuff.

Regards,
Leslie Hart

--

Leslie Hart  User: hart  Domain: fsl noaa gov)  (303) 497 7253
                                                FAX       6301

NOAA/Forecast Systems Laboratories
Aviation Divison
Advanced Computing Branch

R/E/FS5
325 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80303

LILO / scsi-ide boot troubles

Post by Espen Skoglun » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone gotten a Dual Processor (300 MHz PII) HP Kayak XU to Dual
> boot with Linux and NT. We are trying (Redhat 5.0 + some XFREE 3.3.2
> stuff), but can't get LILO to work correctly. We've succeeded on a
> couple of other Dual PII systems, so we are looking to see if there
> is anything peculiar about the Kayak XU. We have two factory
> installed 4.5 Gig drives, 256Meg memory + the standard stuff.

We've got several Kayak XUs up and running with dual boot NT and
Linux.  Linux has been put on the second drive, and we've created a
small partition on the start of the drive that holds /boot.  This is
necessary because the kernel to be booted has to be located before
cylinder 1024.

Linux is booted using the NT loader (the Linux fdisk isn't too happy
about the partiton tables on the drive containing NT).  After running
lilo, we dump the installed LILO (typically residing on /dev/sdb1)
using `dd' and puts the dumped LILO file in the root of the NT
partition (typically C:\).  Edit C:=\boot.ini to include an entry for
the dumped LILO (e.g.  ``C:\lilo.sec="Linux"''), and voila --- you've
got a dual boot NT and Linux system.

You might also want the pcnet32 driver to recognize the chip version
number of the network interface controller.  The small patch below
fixes that problem.

*** drivers/net/pcnet32.c.orig        Fri Mar 27 22:36:30 1998
--- drivers/net/pcnet32.c       Fri Mar 27 22:36:52 1998
***************
*** 285,290 ****
--- 285,291 ----
            chipname = "PCnet32";
            break;
         case 0x2621:
+        case 0x2623:
            chipname = "PCnet/PCI II 79C970A";
            break;
         default:

        eSk

1. IDE + SCSI + LILO (boot SCSI) how?

Hello,
I have the following setup: an IDE disk that is NOT registered in the BIOS,
a SCSI disk.  The SCSI disk is my boot disk (obviously, since the BIOS does
nto know about the IDE disk).  How do I setup LILO so that I can boot linux
from the IDE dis (/dev/hda1) and Win95 from the SCSI disk (/dev/sda1)? If
I try to write to the MBR of /dev/sda1, LILO gives a warning: 'not the first
disk.'  If I change the lilo.conf file manually, booting fails completely,
with '01' displayed over and over.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Eugene

2. DNS NAMESERVER FUNCTIONS - USER DEFINED / BUILT-IN? URGENT!

3. Booting the system: SCSI vs. IDE / LILO...

4. LILO...need help...error message

5. Moving Linux/Lilo boot from IDE to SCSI drives

6. HELP! - alias command

7. Configuring LILO to boot Win95 on additional SCSI drive, Primary is IDE?

8. newbie ,arrow keys

9. How do you set lilo.conf to boot SCSI and IDE drives?

10. Linux LILO boot problem with IDE-SCSI PII board

11. Q: Possible to boot NT(on scsi) from LILO(on IDE)?

12. LILO IDE boot/SCSI root problem SOLVED

13. lilo help needed (dual boot, IDE + SCSI)