safe way to install win98 on an existing linux machine?

safe way to install win98 on an existing linux machine?

Post by Michael A. Mill » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a linux machine that I'd like to make into a dual boot
linux+win98 box.  It has a free 2 Gbyte partition where I'd like
to install win98.  I'm concerned that I might inadvertently trash
my ext2 partitions in the process though.  (Yes - I've done my
backups! :)

I'd like to do the installation without having to reinstall linux
afterwards.  Will my win98se cd allow me to pick a partition to
install on?  Is there a document somewhere that tells how to do
this?  I've found lots of info on installing linux on a
pre-existing windows machine, but not the other way around.

Mike

Post by flying.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a linux machine that I'd like to make into a dual boot
> linux+win98 box.  It has a free 2 Gbyte partition where I'd like
> to install win98.  I'm concerned that I might inadvertently trash
> my ext2 partitions in the process though.  (Yes - I've done my
> backups! :)

Which partition is free (ie /dev/hda[1234] )? IIRC, Windows will only install
on the first partition (/dev/hda1), but I could be wrong. Assuming that you
have that partition free or can free it up (boot off a rescue {CD,floppy} and
shift your Linux parts), the big concern is that Windows will stomp all over
the boot sector of your drive. Make sure that you have a boot {CD,floppy}
with lilo on it so that you can take control of your boot sector once more.

Then you'll need to add a label / section to the /etc/lilo.conf to allow dual
booting through lilo.

Depending on your needs, the best solution may be to use VMWare
(www.vmware.com). It's a little pricey, but if you have the resources (RAM,
CPU) it RULES! You won't be able to do any DirectX, though (no good games).
It's great for windows apps that don't need any special hardware. If your
needs fit the bill, it will let you run a full blown Windows session while
you're still running linux - no rebooting! Great way to boost your up time if
you need a windows app! ;-)

---

FlyingDog

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

safe way to install win98 on an existing linux machine?

Post by TheCentralScrutini.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I have a linux machine that I'd like to make into a dual boot
>linux+win98 box.  It has a free 2 Gbyte partition where I'd like
>to install win98.  I'm concerned that I might inadvertently trash
>my ext2 partitions in the process though.  (Yes - I've done my
>backups! :)

The only safe way to add a MS operating system to a computer that has
foreign partitions is to encapsulate the MS OS into a VMware virtual
machine.  Either that or have the MS and foreign partitions on separate drives
and write protect (drive jumper -> front panel switch) the drive with the
foreign partitions.

I wouldn't put it past MS to poke random garbage into foreign partitions.  When
I used OS/2 back in the late 90's, system stability improved enormously when I
quit dual booting to W95 did my W95 work on a separate machine.

safe way to install win98 on an existing linux machine?

Post by Jeremy S. Dillo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am attempting to use VMware from both WIN2K and LINUX (Mandrake).  Both
are installed and working fine on my system (different physical drives) and
I want VMware to run Outlook and maybe a few other win applications.

MY PROBLEM:  When I go to run VMware (from windows or linux) it wants to
"install" the guest OS....I don't want to install, I want it to see that I
have the os installed and run it as is.

Is this possible?

Post by n.elliot » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:20:57

> I am attempting to use VMware from both WIN2K and LINUX (Mandrake).  Both
> are installed and working fine on my system (different physical drives) and
> I want VMware to run Outlook and maybe a few other win applications.

> MY PROBLEM:  When I go to run VMware (from windows or linux) it wants to
> "install" the guest OS....I don't want to install, I want it to see that I
> have the os installed and run it as is.

> Is this possible?

I am not too sure exactly how you want to run this.

Read all of the following Before you dive in if it's the answer you want.

Assuming that you have VMware installed under Linux then you start it up.
Use the wizard by all means. When it says it wants to install the OS of your
choice
what it is saying ( a bit ambiguously ) is It wants you to say what you want to
access from
VMware. Pick the OS you have installed. ( the subject says Win98 but the text
says Win2K )
Then the next screen asks about whether you want a virtual disk or a partition.
It is at this point that you tell it a partition. Then you can tell it the
partition on which your win98
is installed. This will of course have to be mounted already and you will have
to have full
access to it.

If instead you say a virtual machine then it will expect to create a file. This
will be created by
' installing ' your OS from CD.. As far as the win98 setup CD is concerned it is
writing to a real disc
but VMware is fooling it and creating the file on one of your linux partitions.

Before you do any of this though boot your Win98 and then

right click My Computer then select properties
click the hardware profiles tab.
highlight the original configuration profile then click copy
Name the  profile as you like, say VMware profile.
click OK to close the system properties dialog.
close down windows and boot into linux
Then start the bit above.
hth
norm

1. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

I've looked throught the messages and tried most - bottom line is that the
Linux machine keeps coming up with the message invalid user name or
password. I've got the same user name installed on the Win98 machine and the
linux machine. I have case set to insensitive. I set the registry in Win98
to enable plain text and the corresponding entry in the smb.conf file
(encrypted password=no). I added the statement nullpassword=yes to the
smb.conf file.

What do you have to do to see the windows machines??? BTW the linux machine
has no trouble using the Win98 ICS; dials on demand and all that; so the
network is working fine other than no ability to see the Windows 98
computers other than the windows drives on the dual boot machine I'm using.

webCOMBO - America's Free Internet Access Provider
http://www.webcombo.net

2. about Socket function

3. How to install linux 5.1 on win98 machine

4. Multi-View VI?

5. Installing w2k on a machine with win98 and LM8.1 Linux.

6. ipchains + Masquerading/firewall woes

7. Installing Win98 on a Linux machine

8. KMail URL links behaving strangely

9. NewBie Q': Install Linux REDHAT 7 on win98 Machine(MultiBoot) on 40 GB HDD

10. Installing Linux on Win98 machine

11. how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

12. Any other ways to link a linux machine to a network

13. Have win2000 installed machine how do I install linux on same machine