Installing Linux 5.2 over NT FTP server

Post by Jim Shell » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to install RH Linux 5.2 on a machine that does not have a cdrom.
I am using FTP to a Windows NT server 4.0 using IIS 4.  The files are
concatinated to an 8.3 format on the NT Server and with some research I
found out that NT does not support Rockridge format for CD roms.  Redhat's
solution is to find a driver for NT that will support the rockridge format.
Easier said than done..  I believe I have looked everwhere...  but if anyone
here has successfully done this then obviously I haven't.  I would
apprecriate any solution to this dilemma.  The PC I am installing Linux on
does not have a cdrom...  Putting one in is not an option...

Thanks...

Jim

Post by David Ript » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

>I'm trying to install RH Linux 5.2 on a machine that does not have a cdrom.
>I am using FTP to a Windows NT server 4.0 using IIS 4.  The files are
>concatinated to an 8.3 format on the NT Server and with some research I
>found out that NT does not support Rockridge format for CD roms.  Redhat's
>solution is to find a driver for NT that will support the rockridge format.
>Easier said than done..  I believe I have looked everwhere...  but if anyone
>here has successfully done this then obviously I haven't.  I would
>apprecriate any solution to this dilemma.  The PC I am installing Linux on
>does not have a cdrom...  Putting one in is not an option...

Clear a CD's worth of space on the NT server's hard disk.  Copy the whole
CD to it.  You'll have the same image with the same goofy filenames, but
once they're off read-only media you'll be able to rename them.  There
should be a file called ls-lR that contains all the correct filenames,
and files called trans.tbl in each directory that map 8.3 names to correct
names.  Use those to rename everything that needs renaming.  (Don't do
it all by hand, of course.  Write a Perl script or a batch file or
something.)

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

Installing Linux 5.2 over NT FTP server

Post by James Pearso » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to install RH Linux 5.2 on a machine that does not have a
cdrom.
> I am using FTP to a Windows NT server 4.0 using IIS 4.  The files are
> concatinated to an 8.3 format on the NT Server and with some research
> found out that NT does not support Rockridge format for CD roms.
Redhat's
> solution is to find a driver for NT that will support the rockridge
format.
> Easier said than done..  I believe I have looked everwhere...  but if
anyone
> here has successfully done this then obviously I haven't.  I would
> apprecriate any solution to this dilemma.  The PC I am installing
Linux on
> does not have a cdrom...  Putting one in is not an option...

If you have access to the Internet from your machines, then you could
try an FTP/NFS install from one of the many RedHat mirror sites.

Or if you have space on your NT box, use "WinImage" from
http://www.winimage.com to copy an "image" of the CD to the hard disk
and then copy the contents of the CD image to the hard disk. WinImage
can read Rock Ridge CD images. I haven't tried this, but it might work.

James Pearson

1. Syncronizing time on 3 Linux 5.2 servers and a NT 4.0 server

We have 3 Linux 5.2 Pent II servers using Samba to share files with a Dual
processor 500Mhz NT 4.0 domain controller server .  Each Linux server
Polls the out side world using the network, internet, and modems. The
poling is done at consistent time hacks every day 365 days a year on each
server.  The clocks drift constantly and eventually the times overlap and
ultimately one or all the servers break the Samba link or lock up a modem.
Thus, no more data until server(s) are rebooted. Is there a no-brainer way
to sync the time on these computers. I,m 7 years away from my Unix years
and a bit week in my Linux.  Kind of forced to make things happen "NOW"
and I'm not back up to par yet.

2. dial up ppp

3. How to install RedHat 5.2 from an FTP server?

4. Pointer prob

5. Linux RH 5.2 Server via Windows NT Workstation

6. Huge executables problem

7. Installing non-builtin ethernet driver for use with ftp install of redhat 5.2

8. Control Terminal Window Appl?

9. Linux 5.2 tried connect with network to NT Server

10. Can I use a RH 5.2 install disk for a 6.0 NFS or FTP install?

11. FTP RH 5.2 -> RH 5.2 = NFT (No File Transfer)

12. Please Be Gentle: Anyone install Linux, NT Workstation, & NT Server on one box?

13. Replacing NT Server 4 w/ Red Hat 5.2