Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Sung Ki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
kernel not compiled correctly?

Tx for your time.

Sung Kim

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Saif A. Wars » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
> Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
> process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
> kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
> reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
> locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
> kernel not compiled correctly?

> Tx for your time.

> Sung Kim

Hello,

I have noticed the same problem with Mandrake. Whenever a program
crashes and tries to write the core file it goes into uninterruptible
sleep mode and no one can kill it (not even kill -9). If you look at the
size of the core file it will remain zero bytes forever.

If someone has a fix for this please post it. Perhaps someone with an
official version of RH 6.0 could contact support and ask them the fix
for this. It is certainly difficult to develop code when core dumps
leave numerous sleeping processes lying around.

Saif Warsi

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Gene Hesket » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Saif A.;

Quote:>> I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
>> Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
>> process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
>> kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
>> reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
>> locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
>> kernel not compiled correctly?

>> Tx for your time.

>> Sung Kim

 SAW> Hello,

 SAW> I have noticed the same problem with Mandrake. Whenever a program
 SAW> crashes and tries to write the core file it goes into uninterruptible
 SAW> sleep mode and no one can kill it (not even kill -9). If you look at the
 SAW> size of the core file it will remain zero bytes forever.

 SAW> If someone has a fix for this please post it. Perhaps someone with an
 SAW> official version of RH 6.0 could contact support and ask them the fix
 SAW> for this. It is certainly difficult to develop code when core dumps
 SAW> leave numerous sleeping processes lying around.

Sleeping?  In the one instance that recently happened to me, it was the
kcdmagic (or similar named function that is part of kde's cdplayer).  I
couldn't find a wqay to close the non-functioning black box on the
screen, even though I sent the process several kill #n commands.  So I
gave up and went to bed.  Next morning the rc5 client had managed to
check one block, at 19kkeys/sec.  That box normally does 678kkeys when
not otherwise occupied.

'top' said the dead kcdmagic thingy was using 99.8% of the cpu!  I quit
x, ran top, it was still there! shutdown -r now fixed it though.

Thats with the Hedwick 6.0 release, 2.2.10-ac12 kernel.  Yeah, it needs
fixed.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Jason Simpso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello.

I have been getting this problem regularly under Mandrake 6.0.  My typical
resolution is switch from X to command mode (CTRL-ALT-F2), log in, do a ''ps -A''
to show ALL the processes, and kill the X server.  As I boot to GUI mode, what
this does is force a reset of the X-windows environment.  Unfortunately, this
leaves me with the drawback of not allowing the filesystem to cleanly unmount and
I spend some time waiting for the boot process to clean up the drive the next time
I turn on the computer.  But while it is still on, it works.

Jason

> >> I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
> >> Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
> >> process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
> >> kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
> >> reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
> >> locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
> >> kernel not compiled correctly?

> >> Tx for your time.

> >> Sung Kim

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Daniel Mel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Try an ps -eaf
and kill -9 those results that are applicable

I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
kernel not compiled correctly?

Tx for your time.

Sung Kim

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Gary Smit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sound like the kernel is having trouble writing the core file. Are you out of disk
space ?

Try deleting the core file. The kernel may give up writing to it and proceed to
terminate the process.

> Unrot13 this;

> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Saif A.;

> >> I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
> >> Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
> >> process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
> >> kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
> >> reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
> >> locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
> >> kernel not compiled correctly?

> >> Tx for your time.

> >> Sung Kim

>  SAW> Hello,

>  SAW> I have noticed the same problem with Mandrake. Whenever a program
>  SAW> crashes and tries to write the core file it goes into uninterruptible
>  SAW> sleep mode and no one can kill it (not even kill -9). If you look at the
>  SAW> size of the core file it will remain zero bytes forever.

>  SAW> If someone has a fix for this please post it. Perhaps someone with an
>  SAW> official version of RH 6.0 could contact support and ask them the fix
>  SAW> for this. It is certainly difficult to develop code when core dumps
>  SAW> leave numerous sleeping processes lying around.

> Sleeping?  In the one instance that recently happened to me, it was the
> kcdmagic (or similar named function that is part of kde's cdplayer).  I
> couldn't find a wqay to close the non-functioning black box on the
> screen, even though I sent the process several kill #n commands.  So I
> gave up and went to bed.  Next morning the rc5 client had managed to
> check one block, at 19kkeys/sec.  That box normally does 678kkeys when
> not otherwise occupied.

> 'top' said the dead kcdmagic thingy was using 99.8% of the cpu!  I quit
> x, ran top, it was still there! shutdown -r now fixed it though.

> Thats with the Hedwick 6.0 release, 2.2.10-ac12 kernel.  Yeah, it needs
> fixed.

> Cheers, Gene
> --
>   Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

>                                |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
>                                |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
>          RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
> email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
> --

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Saif A. Wars » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Sound like the kernel is having trouble writing the core file. Are you out of disk
> space ?

> Try deleting the core file. The kernel may give up writing to it and proceed to
> terminate the process.

No I have plenty of disk space and deleting the core file was the first thing I tried
to no avail. One thing that semi-worked was setting the coredumpsize to zero however,
this is not a good solution for me as I sometimes need to see the core file.

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Joseph Crow » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Folks,

> > I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
> > Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
> > process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
> > kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
> > reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
> > locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
> > kernel not compiled correctly?

> > Tx for your time.

> > Sung Kim

> Hello,

> I have noticed the same problem with Mandrake. Whenever a program
> crashes and tries to write the core file it goes into uninterruptible
> sleep mode and no one can kill it (not even kill -9). If you look at the
> size of the core file it will remain zero bytes forever.

   If Linux is like SVR4 was, there is no fix for this.  If a process is
asleep on a system queue, it cannot be interrupted for a signal since it
will not receive control until whatever event it was waiting for occurs.
The process is down in kernel mode, where user level interrupts just get
queued until it transitions to user mode again.....at least that's how I
remember it from my kernel daze....

Quote:> If someone has a fix for this please post it. Perhaps someone

with
an > official version of RH 6.0 could contact support and ask them the fix

Quote:> for this. It is certainly difficult to develop code when core dumps
> leave numerous sleeping processes lying around.

> Saif Warsi

Joseph Crowe
http://www.io.com/~jcrowe

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Gene Hesket » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Gary Smith;

 GS> Sound like the kernel is having trouble writing the core file. Are you
 GS> out of disk space ?

 GS> Try deleting the core file. The kernel may give up writing to it and
 GS> proceed to terminate the process.

I don't recall running into a core at some location it might have been
written, and there's 17 gigs of drive to write it to.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Saif Wars » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

No as explained earlier, this will not do. Anyway I contacted Mandrake
support and they replied that this is a known problem with
RedHat/Mandrake 6.0 kernel and at this time there is no fix for it. So it
looks like a wait is needed until a fix is available; hopefully soon.

> Try an ps -eaf
> and kill -9 those results that are applicable

> I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
> Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
> process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
> kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
> reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
> locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
> kernel not compiled correctly?

> Tx for your time.

> Sung Kim

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Jason Simpso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Again, my solution is to kill the X server itself.  This has the result in
forcing a kill of all processes within the X server.  Unfortunately it also
leaves un-closed files that will need to be cleaned up on the next restart.

Jason

> No as explained earlier, this will not do. Anyway I contacted Mandrake
> support and they replied that this is a known problem with
> RedHat/Mandrake 6.0 kernel and at this time there is no fix for it. So it
> looks like a wait is needed until a fix is available; hopefully soon.

> > Try an ps -eaf
> > and kill -9 those results that are applicable

> > I am currently running redhat6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 on a P-400.
> > Everything runs fine except for one exception. Especially in X when a
> > process crashes it remains in memory and no matter what I try I can't
> > kill it. I have tried killing them as root and nothing. Even when I
> > reboot the machine linux can't unmount the filesystem due to the
> > locked/linked files. Is there anyway to kill these processes or is my
> > kernel not compiled correctly?

> > Tx for your time.

> > Sung Kim

Kill -9 won't kill a process

Post by Joe Ze » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Again, my solution is to kill the X server itself.  This has the result in
>forcing a kill of all processes within the X server.  Unfortunately it also
>leaves un-closed files that will need to be cleaned up on the next restart.

I had a weird experience the other day were that wasn't true.  I
copied a file to a floppy from an xterm, but couldn't umount the drive
as it was busy.  After exiting X, I ran ps and found two xterms still
running.  kill -9ing them cleared things up.

--
Joe Zeff
     The Guy With the Sideburns

1. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

Try this method:
kill -9 non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/prun non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/pmap non-killed-pid
This method works perfectly with Solaris 6. Sometimes you can do it
without the "kill -9 non-killed-pid"

P.S. I don't know about other versions and about some hardware programs,
like tar.

Eugene S. Ilchenko, System Network Administrator
http://secinf.net/

2. SuSE 5.2 und HP DeskJet

3. how to kill a process when kill -9 won't

4. What Capellas said about Alpha on Jan 28

5. kill -9 doesn't kill a process!

6. Vivitron 1776 monitor

7. kill -9 doesn't kill a process

8. visible bell

9. kill -9 doesn't kill a process ?

10. Can a process kill its child if it's killed -9

11. Can't Kill Zombie processes, even with kill -9 (pid)

12. Problem w/ Quota => Can't kill Processes (kill -9 xx)

13. why can't I kill a process using kill -9 xxxx