Trouble compiling kernel

Post by Andreas Gutzwill » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I thought I know how to compile a new kernel but it is no mre possible for
me.

Infos about the system:
Pentium 100
NCR SCSI controller
LST Distribution 2.1:
        Kernel 1.2.13
        gcc 2.7.0

I compiled on this system the kernel more than once without any problem.
When I compile the kernel now I have a compile error in the modul for the
NCR controler r an interna compile error in cc1.
I reinstalled the whole kernel and gcc from the CD-ROM but I have still the
same problem.

History:
The system was crashing a few times and the only possibility was to turn
off the PC. Now it is no more possible too compile the kernel and I have
very often the error msg "internal compile error send a bug report to ..."
when I compile my source. The I start the compiler a second time and no
problem.
It is very tricky to boot the linux system too. When I reboot or halt the
system to restart INUX without turning oft the PC the system is always
haltet (CRC error in kernel)

Doo I really have to install the full LINUX once more? Is there any other
solution?

--
Andreas Gutzwiller                        FIDO:      2:301/707.13
SWITZERLAND                               AmigaNet: 39:110/512.13

Trouble compiling kernel

Post by M.Buchenried » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>History:
>The system was crashing a few times and the only possibility was to turn
>off the PC. Now it is no more possible too compile the kernel and I have
>very often the error msg "internal compile error send a bug report to ..."
>when I compile my source. The I start the compiler a second time and no
>problem.
>It is very tricky to boot the linux system too. When I reboot or halt the
>system to restart INUX without turning oft the PC the system is always
>haltet (CRC error in kernel)

This is probably a memory problem. Try to turn off the external cache in your
system's CMOS. Very often such errors are indicating

a) slow RAM chips (if using a P100 you'll probably need 60ns SIMMs)
b) bad RAM chips (gcc is the best memory test program you could ever use)
c) bad cache chips (very widespread, unfortunately)

Michael

* "Real computer scientists don't program in assembler. They don't write *
*  in anything less portable than a number two pencil."                  *

1. trouble compiling kernel in linux

I run Debian Linux (kernel 2.0.29) on a P166 machine.
I was recently compiling my kernel and after a lot of junk I got this:

ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 00000fe0
misc.o: In function 'fill_inbuf':
misc.o(.text+0x1ebc): undefined reference to 'input_data'
misc.o(.text+0x1ec1): undefined reference to 'input_len'
misc.o(.text+0x1ed7): undefined reference to 'input_data'
make[2]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.29/arch/i386/boot/compressed'
make[1]: *** [compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.29/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [zimage] Error 2

after which the compiling stopped and I was left without a new kernel.  I
would be most grateful if someone who understood the kernel compilation
process better than I could decipher this.  Thanks.

Luke Shulenburger

2. help, various problems

3. Trouble compiling kernel.

4. Simple tape module question

5. Help:Having trouble compiling Kernel with redhat 4.1

6. *.avi or *.mov players for SCO??

7. Trouble compiling kernel to support SB16

8. Multibooting redhat linux 5.2 and SCO OSR5.0.4

9. troubles compiling kernel/modules

10. Trouble compiling kernel

11. Trouble compiling kernel - Help!

12. Trouble compiling kernel 1.3.3