INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

Post by Mickey Stei » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

All the ftp'd rpms files have been moved the primary and only linux
partition (aside from the swap one) and are located in /RedHat. The
subdirectories of that are "instimage", "base", "image" and "RPMS", with
all permissions and system / system own/grp.

I made the boot.img floppy from the 6.0 dist and all the files are off
of sunsite's 6.0 directory.

The symptoms of the problem:

- I boot off the floppy by hitting enter at the prompt
- boots without problem and asks the usual install/upgrade questions
- all goes fine up to the point where it asks where distribution is
located
- I choose the proper partition /dev/hdc5 in my case
- it goes off and mounts probably and scans and then
  comes back and asks me if I'd like upgrade or install
- I say upgrade and it says "scanning install files", I think.
- returns with an error that "No RPM database found".

I know redhat has very specific ideas on what that RedHat/RPMS directory

stucture should appear to be like and I thought I'd done that

    /RedHat
       base
       image
       instimage
       RPMS

there's about 338,283 .rpm files in the RPMS directory.

        appreciate any clues,, tia,,

                  Mickey

INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

Post by Mickey Stei » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

Forgot to mention that I'd searched dejanews for this "no rpm db" topic and
found at least 2 others with the same problem but no solutions..

       mick

Quote:> All the ftp'd rpms files have been moved the primary and only linux
> partition (aside from the swap one) and are located in /RedHat. The
> subdirectories of that are "instimage", "base", "image" and "RPMS", with
> all permissions and system / system own/grp.

> I made the boot.img floppy from the 6.0 dist and all the files are off
> of sunsite's 6.0 directory.

> The symptoms of the problem:

> - I boot off the floppy by hitting enter at the prompt
> - boots without problem and asks the usual install/upgrade questions
> - all goes fine up to the point where it asks where distribution is
> located
> - I choose the proper partition /dev/hdc5 in my case
> - it goes off and mounts probably and scans and then
>   comes back and asks me if I'd like upgrade or install
> - I say upgrade and it says "scanning install files", I think.
> - returns with an error that "No RPM database found".

> I know redhat has very specific ideas on what that RedHat/RPMS directory

> stucture should appear to be like and I thought I'd done that

>     /RedHat
>        base
>        image
>        instimage
>        RPMS

> there's about 338,283 .rpm files in the RPMS directory.

>         appreciate any clues,, tia,,

>                   Mickey

INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

Post by Jarno.Pelko.. » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Forgot to mention that I'd searched dejanews for this "no rpm db"
topic and
> found at least 2 others with the same problem but no solutions..

>        mick

Here is one having the same problem. I'm upgrading over network and
using bootnet.img. I looked install2.c source and it seems that
installation program is looking for /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm. The file
exists and is ok, but for some unknown reason access() call return
errocode different from zero and installation fails. I didn't try to
backtrace program behaviour and I don't understand why intallation
fails. The installer tries to mount correct partition, but fails to find
the file. Maybe the "root" part of the file name is wrong? I didn't have
time to check.

My RH installation is in SCSI disk and that is the only thing that is
even little bit "different" from "normal" installations. I am
considering this a bug in installation program.

Any help is appreciated.

-Jarno

installer source can be found in "redhat-6.0/i386/misc/src/install"
------------ install2.c -------------------------

static int upgrChoosePackages(struct installState * state) {
    static int firstTime = 1;
    char * rpmconvertbin;
    int rc;
    char * path;
    char * argv[] = { NULL, NULL };
    char buf[128];

    if (testing)
        path = "/";
    else
        path = state->rootPath;

    if (firstTime) {
        snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s%s", state->rootPath,
                 "/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm");
        if (access(buf, R_OK)) {
        snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s%s", state->rootPath,
                 "/var/lib/rpm/packages");
            if (access(buf, R_OK)) {
                errorWindow("No RPM database exists!");  /*My upgrade                                                                         fails
here !*/
                return INST_ERROR;
            }

            if (state->method->getFile(state->method, "rpmconvert",
                    &rpmconvertbin)) {
                return INST_ERROR;
            }

            symlink("/mnt/var", "/var");
            winStatus(35, 3, _("Upgrade"), _("Converting RPM database..."));
            chmod(rpmconvertbin, 0755);
            argv[0] = rpmconvertbin;
            rc = runProgram(RUN_LOG, rpmconvertbin, argv);
            if (state->method->rmFiles)
                unlink(rpmconvertbin);

            newtPopWindow();
            if (rc) return INST_ERROR;
        }
        winStatus(35, 3, "Upgrade", _("Finding packages to upgrade..."));
        rc = ugFindUpgradePackages(&state->ps, path);
        newtPopWindow();
        if (rc) return rc;
        firstTime = 0;
        psVerifyDependencies(&state->ps, 1);
    }

    return psSelectPackages(&state->ps, &state->cs, NULL, 0, 1);

Quote:}

1. RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

My RedHat 5.2 System worked perfectly!  Now that I upgraded I am having
a few problems, and need someone to tell me where the problem lies.
For starters, when I get connected to the Internet, my cacheing DNS
doesn't work!  I can't do nslookups!  PPP is working b/c when I issue
an 'ifconfig' it reports that the PPP0 interface is up.  The
/var/log/messages reports my ISP's DNS IP as an address for queries.  I
can ping the ISP DNS.  It's almost as if my DNS packets are not being
returned to my computer.  What's the problem?  I use gnome-ppp (part of
the gnome-network-1.0.rpm) to connect (if that makes any difference).
Where is the problem?

Also, I am having problems with ESD with a SoundBlaster 16 PCI card.
Kernel sound support is great.  When I use ESD (like the sound effect
for GNOME or playing MP3's) ESD plays the file really slowly!!! (It's
takes about 6 times as long to play the file)  Is there a way to speed
up ESD's relaying of data to /dev/dsp?  If so how?

Help will be appreciated!  If you need any further information, let me
know.  I will post follow-up messages.  Thanks in advance!

2. Off-by-one error in generic_file_read?

3. Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

4. Shared libaries doubts?

5. Redhat 5.2 -> 6.0 NFS upgrade woes

6. VT100 Terminal

7. redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 upgrade question

8. install java sdk 1.4.0 on suse linux 8.0

9. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2

10. Red Hat 5.2->6.0 upgrade: my printer is offline ???

11. How to upgrade from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0 ?

12. RedHat 5.2 (How do you upgrade to 6.0 over the internet?)

13. Supplementary disk for upgrading Redhat linux 5.2 to 6.0