HELP? Acrobat3 on Debian....

Post by Walt Shekro » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 02:24:37

2.0.36 kernel deb 2.1

untar file ar302_tar.Z and ./INSTALL

/usr/local/Acrobat3/bin.acroread
generates the message "can't load libXt.so.6"
the ".6" libs are there! (including the one in question) So I assume there
is an indirect reason for not loading?

Any direction in the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Walt

--
Walt Shekrota

Remove 'nul' from my id to reply!

HELP? Acrobat3 on Debian....

Post by Paul Kimo » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:26:41

> 2.0.36 kernel deb 2.1

> untar file ar302_tar.Z and ./INSTALL

> /usr/local/Acrobat3/bin.acroread
> generates the message "can't load libXt.so.6"
> the ".6" libs are there! (including the one in question) So I assume there
> is an indirect reason for not loading?

Find the offending executable (/usr/local/Acrobat3/bin.acroread?) and run
"ldd /path/to/executable".  If it's a libc5 program, then you need to
install the xlib6 (not xlib6g!) .deb package.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

HELP? Acrobat3 on Debian....

Post by Walt Shekro » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 06:13:18

Sounds like these are the old libs?

I've never gotten it straight in my head. I do have xlib6g installed per
dselect.

Curious does this mean you can't use acrobat3 or can these libs coexist somehow?

Perhaps going to Acro4 will solve the problem, I'll have to investigate.

-Walt

Post by Paul Kimo » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 06:40:03

> Sounds like these are the old libs?

Yes.  xlib6g has the libc6 X libraries, and xlib6 has the libc5 X
libraries.

Quote:> I've never gotten it straight in my head. I do have xlib6g installed per
> dselect.

> Curious does this mean you can't use acrobat3 or can these libs coexist somehow?

On Debian 2.{0,1,2} (the libc6 releases) you can run libc5 programs fine
after running the appropriate compatibility libraries.

Quote:> Perhaps going to Acro4 will solve the problem, I'll have to investigate.

Dunno.  I just use gs-aladdin (via gv) and xpdf (the "unstable" versions).

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
and may be a violation of international copyright law.

HELP? Acrobat3 on Debian....

Post by Walt Shekro » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 12:55:30

Version 4 works fine....
Must just be thge way the library support happened ....good to know though.
-Walt

> > Sounds like these are the old libs?

> Yes.  xlib6g has the libc6 X libraries, and xlib6 has the libc5 X
> libraries.

> > I've never gotten it straight in my head. I do have xlib6g installed per
> > dselect.

> > Curious does this mean you can't use acrobat3 or can these libs
coexist somehow?

> On Debian 2.{0,1,2} (the libc6 releases) you can run libc5 programs fine
> after running the appropriate compatibility libraries.

> > Perhaps going to Acro4 will solve the problem, I'll have to investigate.

> Dunno.  I just use gs-aladdin (via gv) and xpdf (the "unstable" versions).

> --
> Paul Kimoto
> This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
> hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
> and may be a violation of international copyright law.

--
Walt Shekrota

Remove 'nul' from my id to reply!

1. weblink plug-in for acrobat3 under Linux

  I've just installed Acrobat Reader (beta 013.2, Sep 13, 1996)
on my Linux(kernel 2.0.14,libc 5.4.7 if they have any relevance
to my problem) box and found that it gave me the error message
that 'The plug-in required by this URL action is unavailable'
whenever I try to follow web links(http://....) embeded
in PDF documents. Besides, there's no menu item named
'Web Link' in File/Preferences contrary to what's mentioned
in an accompanying on-line document(reader.pdf).
It seems like there IS a plug-in
for html document, 'wwwlink.api' in default location of
$ACRO_INSTALL_DIR/$ACRO_CONFIG/plug-ins(I made
plug-ins a sym. link to plug_ins which was made
by INSTALL script. Note '_' instead of '-').
Making 'weblink.api' a sym. link to 'wwwlink.api' was of
no use. Neither was explicitely specifying
"*systemPlugInPath" X resource as
/usr/local/acrobat3/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins where 'wwwlink.api'
(and weblink.api) lies.

   I would be very much obliged to any help in getting
web link to work in Acrobat Reader under Linux.

     Jungshik Shin

--
Jungshik Shin : a firm supporter of freedom of speech and protection of
privacy in every form of communication who is strongly against censorship

2. Trident9440 Drivers ?

3. Netscape and Acrobat3 (acroread) - SuSE 6.0

4. Comparison of different distributions

5. pstoedit and acrobat3.0

6. Internet connection using AT&T@HOME service

7. Debian v Slackware (rc.d doesn't exist in Debian)

8. EiC C bytecode interpreter

9. How do I insert partitions BEFORE my Debian boot partiton and still get Debian to boot?

10. Debian and proprietary software (Debian folks: please read.)

11. Debian Donations from KDE/Debian CD

12. My Debian! (Debian 2.0 hamm)

13. Debian 1.3 Beta Test, and other Debian News