Bootdisk: Problems with large root filesystems (and thus ramdisks)

Bootdisk: Problems with large root filesystems (and thus ramdisks)

Post by Stefan Schonge » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I just created a bootdisk (which runs without problems), when I realized
I wanted to have a larger ramdisk (the ramdisk didnt magically grow
when I created files on it as I expected from "ramdisk.txt").

So I just made my root-filesystem larger (12Mb) and (as it is
compressed), it still fits nicely on the floppy disk.
But while linux is still loading the image from disk, I now get pages of
error messages stating:
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8684
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8685
end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector 8686

after that, the system still seems to work fine at first.
But after a while of working on the ramdisk (you can provoke it by
writing a 2Mb file), it starts again (only varied by different sector
numbers) and usually ends with a kernel panic.

The kernel ouput reads as follows:
Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 01:00): ext2_read_inode: unable to
read i-node block - inode=1505, block=8197

My configuration:
- 2.0.30 Kernel
- compressed ext2fs root file system
  (configured like described in the bootdisk-howto, 4. Advanced Bootdisk
Creation)
- the error prevails on different systems (AMD K6-200, 64Mb - Pentium90,
32Mb)

If anybody knows either why all these error messages come up just by
enlarging the ramdisk/root-fs or knows if there is really something like
a automatically resizable ramdisk (which would solve my problem, too),
please E-mail me.

Thank You,
Stefan Schonger

1. Large ramdisk when booting from BOOTDISK/ROOTDISK ?

Hello,

how can I create a large ramdisk (i.e. more than 1440k) after booting
from bootdisk and an appropriate rootdisk? I have to setup various
deamons such as the inetd and at least the in.rshd (and configure the
IP-address etc.) needed for doing a restore of my hard drive images that
I previously backupped. But as I need some additional libraries and
other files, there is not enough space left in the 1440k-ramdisk. My
computer, however, has 32MB ram, so how can I use that space?

   The bootdisk.HOWTO says nothing about it as far as I saw...

Maybe somebody knows...
Thanks in advance,

       Chris.

Christoph Haenle

University of Karlsruhe, Germany.

2. Q: drivers for Quadrant CardCam PCMCIA frame grabber

3. CRAMDISK: compressed ramdisk for large bootdisks.

4. I2C Elektor Driver

5. large ramdisk based filesystem corruption in 2.4.18?

6. Need Help: Problem with HP DeskJet 550C

7. diskless booting using a ramdisk root filesystem; possible ?

8. Cisco dump with TFTP

10. Bootdisks, rdev, and root filesystems...aargh!

11. mounting a ramdisk root filesystem from lilo on a floppy

12. help with mounting root filesystem on ramdisk

13. How to use a ramdisk-based root filesystem?