Booting LINUX from a JAZ drive

Post by Brian Weatheril » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone ever successfully installed LINUX native partitions on a JAZ
drive..
I'm getting through cartridges at an alarming rate, they become
unbootable if I use the linux or FreeBSD tools to reFDISK the drive

How can I get my OS to boot from JAZ, Win95 is fine, so is NT.. *sigh* I
know UNIX is better, but IOMEGA apparently don't...

Detailed instructions for FBSD 2.2.1 or Redhat LINUX would be extremely
helpful

Thankyou all

Brian Weatherill
Professional Geek

Post by Marian Schmid » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Has anyone ever successfully installed LINUX native partitions on a JAZ
> drive..

Yepp, i have.

Quote:> I'm getting through cartridges at an alarming rate, they become
> unbootable if I use the linux or FreeBSD tools to reFDISK the drive

thats bullshit... I use the jazdrive as every normal harddisc and I've
got
not even one problem, even with the os/2 bootmanager, NT, Win and linux
installed
at one cardridge...

Quote:> Detailed instructions for FBSD 2.2.1 or Redhat LINUX would be extremely
> helpful

Just prepare your SCSI-bootdisc (depending on your SCSI-controller)
and follow the normal installation instructions.
BTW: I use the slackware distribution and sometimes LSL, so I dont know
how
it works with redhat. If u r able to boot from your CD-ROM, do the
installation
from the cd-rom-drive...

bye
marian

/----------------------------------------------------------\

|                    http://www.fh-merseburg.de/~wwwstud   |

1. Using Iomega Jaz drive ( if they ever come out) as a Boot drive???

I had been concidering using an Iomega Jaz drive (when they come out)
as the boot drive on my system...
Because i have this tendency to change operating systems every other
week or more... (involving messy reformattings/partitionings/and
backup & restores from floppies) I was thinking it would be possible
to use the Jaz drive so that whenever i want to change OS.. i could
just shutdown one OS and change the cartridge...

I was noticing on Iomega's slow homepage that the specs for the Jaz
said something about:
        Average start/stop time                 10/5 seconds
        http://www.iomega.com/jazspec.html
Ack!... Well anyway.. i am somewhat with exactly what that spec
means...
        i.e does it take 10 seconds for the drive to spin-up every time you
wanna access it? (which wouldnt work for running the os from)  or is
that simply a 10 second wait on startup of the machine...?

say it aint so..?
                        thanks

                        -Daved Daly

2. Why Linux?

3. Q: Booting Linux directly off Jaz Drive

4. xfm-apps is read only for root, too!

5. JAZ Drive/PCMCIA - Linux boot

6. Apache: env. variables and url encoding questions

7. Running Linux from a Jaz drive using a floppy boot disk

8. more than 1 dynamic ip on one nic?

9. Linux and a JAZ drive as boot media

10. HOWTO boot Linux on jaz drive ?

11. Linux booting off a JAZ drive