Winmodem

Post by Yogesh Sharm » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi Gurus

Does anybody know about a web site where I can get the specifications of
WINMODEM and its software.

So that I will try to write a device driver for that DAMM WINMODEM.

I have seen many people are having WinModem and mostly company are not at
all informing about the modem thats a Winmodem. They just say ITU V.90 and
K56Flex thats all.

Please send me some web address for information.

Thanks

Winmodem

Post by John Jacque » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You need to learn TAPI messaging for windows.
Don't have the web site anymore, but, there's info on the net for TAPI. You
have to treat the modem as a software program I geuss and it uses the
windows messaging system for all communications between computer and modem.

>Hi Gurus

>Does anybody know about a web site where I can get the specifications of
>WINMODEM and its software.

>So that I will try to write a device driver for that DAMM WINMODEM.

>I have seen many people are having WinModem and mostly company are not at
>all informing about the modem thats a Winmodem. They just say ITU V.90 and
>K56Flex thats all.

>Please send me some web address for information.

>Thanks

Winmodem

Post by C. C. McPhers » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You will also need to know if windoz is simulating just the
datapump portion, and if so what chip set is it simulating?
You'll need specs from the HSP maker on "how" to "talk" to the
hsp. So basically, the best approach is to write a Compliant TAPI
for Linux (LTAPI). This would allow easy /etc/modem.inf mods.
> You need to learn TAPI messaging for windows.
> Don't have the web site anymore, but, there's info on the net for TAPI. You
> have to treat the modem as a software program I geuss and it uses the
> windows messaging system for all communications between computer and modem.

> >Hi Gurus

> >Does anybody know about a web site where I can get the specifications of
> >WINMODEM and its software.

> >So that I will try to write a device driver for that DAMM WINMODEM.

> >I have seen many people are having WinModem and mostly company are not at
> >all informing about the modem thats a Winmodem. They just say ITU V.90 and
> >K56Flex thats all.

> >Please send me some web address for information.

> >Thanks

Winmodem

Post by Yogesh Sharm » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for info. May I get  some more info about TAPI.

>You need to learn TAPI messaging for windows.
>Don't have the web site anymore, but, there's info on the net for TAPI. You
>have to treat the modem as a software program I geuss and it uses the
>windows messaging system for all communications between computer and modem.

Winmodem

Post by Yogesh Sharm » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Thanks

May I have more info, Whats is HSP.

Thanks

>You will also need to know if windoz is simulating just the
>datapump portion, and if so what chip set is it simulating?
>You'll need specs from the HSP maker on "how" to "talk" to the
>hsp. So basically, the best approach is to write a Compliant TAPI
>for Linux (LTAPI). This would allow easy /etc/modem.inf mods.

Winmodem

Post by Mirce » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Host Signal Processing. There's some info on the Lucent website , look
for the 1643/1644/1646 chipsets ("Mars").
http://www.lucent.com/micro/dsp/16bit.html

MST

> Thanks

> May I have more info, Whats is HSP.

Winmodem

Post by James Crossle » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi Gurus

>Does anybody know about a web site where I can get the specifications of
>WINMODEM and its software.

>So that I will try to write a device driver for that DAMM WINMODEM.

>I have seen many people are having WinModem and mostly company are not at
>all informing about the modem thats a Winmodem. They just say ITU V.90 and
>K56Flex thats all.

>Please send me some web address for information.

>Thanks

Hey this sounds promising. Does this mean you will hopefully be writing
a driver to run a winmodem under Linux? I have considered Linux but then
realised that I could not get the driver from the company (In my case
Commwave/Lucent) to run my crappy bundled modem. I watch with interest!

--
James Crossley

Winmodem

Post by Rob Cla » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hey this sounds promising. Does this mean you will hopefully be writing
>a driver to run a winmodem under Linux? I have considered Linux but then
>realised that I could not get the driver from the company (In my case
>Commwave/Lucent) to run my crappy bundled modem. I watch with interest!

Free advice time :)

1) Don't hold your breath too long, you may faint.

2) Don't let a crummy 30 U.K.P. modem force you to use a crummy OS.  You
   can even dual-boot Linux and Windows, if you are so inclined.

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Winmodem

Post by Yogesh Sharm » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yes, ofcourse, If I get the details I will try my best to make that DAMMMMM
Windoze Modem to work.

Yogesh

Quote:>Hey this sounds promising. Does this mean you will hopefully be writing
>a driver to run a winmodem under Linux? I have considered Linux but then
>realised that I could not get the driver from the company (In my case
>Commwave/Lucent) to run my crappy bundled modem. I watch with interest!

>--
>James Crossley

Winmodem

Post by C Sanjayan Rosenmun » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >Hi Gurus

> >Does anybody know about a web site where I can get the specifications of
> >WINMODEM and its software.

> >So that I will try to write a device driver for that DAMM WINMODEM.

> >I have seen many people are having WinModem and mostly company are not at
> >all informing about the modem thats a Winmodem. They just say ITU V.90 and
> >K56Flex thats all.

> >Please send me some web address for information.

> >Thanks

> Hey this sounds promising. Does this mean you will hopefully be writing
> a driver to run a winmodem under Linux? I have considered Linux but then
> realised that I could not get the driver from the company (In my case
> Commwave/Lucent) to run my crappy bundled modem. I watch with interest!

> --
> James Crossley

Free advice to both of you:
Yogesh, you are asking for a lot of hassels, because the winmodem is NOT
in ANY way standardised.  each manufacturer puts together chips in
whatever way they want and then they write a driver FOR THIER
CONFIGURATION!  The driver for one winmodem will not work on any other
kind of winmodem.  These "modems" do not even work very well under
Windows, as one manufacturer have a better programmer than the others.
If you actually do take this project on, stock up on asprin.  You will
need it.

James and all the others who are interested in this:
I *strongly* recomend that you get a "real" modem and dump that piece of
junk that your manufacturer pushed off on you as fast as you can get
away from it.  A good modem will work better in windows as well as
Linux.  You will just be much happier in the long run.

I appologise if my statements have offended anyone, I just needed to
vent.

--
Sanjay

Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
             Press any key to reboot.

Winmodem

Post by William H. Ba » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Yes, ofcourse, If I get the details I will try my best to make that DAMMMMM
>Windoze Modem to work.

>Yogesh

yogesh - if you come up with a working winmodem driver that will work with
the Lucent Technologies winmodem in the Compaq Presario line of laptops, i
will chip in $500 to your effort...

any other takers?

billy ball

Quote:

>>Hey this sounds promising. Does this mean you will hopefully be writing
>>a driver to run a winmodem under Linux? I have considered Linux but then
>>realised that I could not get the driver from the company (In my case
>>Commwave/Lucent) to run my crappy bundled modem. I watch with interest!

>>--
>>James Crossley

1. winmodem or not winmodem ?

hello
I plan to buy a modem to be connected at home
wisecom sends an external modem called Internet 56000 voice modem
serial number Ws-5614ES3GKV

is it a real modem which works on linux ?

thanks
eric

2. Help with ~

3. WinModem? is it posible for a WinModem to work under Linux?

4. setup of proxy

5. winmodem

6. newbie networking question....

7. Aptiva Winmodems and

8. Bootable Rescue Diskette

9. Winmodem and Linux

10. Winmodem or Not?

11. Modem "Best 2400 L", winmodem or not?

12. Winmodem installation on Linux machine

13. Redhat 7.1 winmodem problem.