Linux Mandrake 6.0 ( Maximum Linux magazine ) Lockups

Linux Mandrake 6.0 ( Maximum Linux magazine ) Lockups

Post by Wayne Collin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just installed the a version of Linux Mandrake 6.0 that came with the
premier issue of Maximum Linux Magazine. After a couple of install attempts
i got it running on my system ( took some manual setup to get my sound
blaster working ). Snd it looks good.

However I have a problem. The system locks up solid frequently for no
apparent reason. When I start using the system after a few minutes the mouse
cursor freezes and the system is locked so solid that there is nothing left
to do but hit the power switch. Any ideas ? Has anyone else had this problem
with this release ? Any suggestions on how to correct it ?

My system consistes of the following:
-Amptron PII-2200 Motherboard with Intel Pentium II-333 and 128MB SDRAM
-Quantum Fireball 8.4ES ATA Hard Drive
-Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme PCI 4MB Video Card
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16-SCSI-2 ISA Sound Board (Non-PnP)
-Microsoft J-Mouse PS/2 Mouse (Version 2.1A)
-ACER PCI Ethernet 10-Base-T Network Card

Wayne Collins

Linux Mandrake 6.0 ( Maximum Linux magazine ) Lockups

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:41:55 -0330, Wayne Collins

>I just installed the a version of Linux Mandrake 6.0 that came with the
>premier issue of Maximum Linux Magazine. After a couple of install
>attempts i got it running on my system ( took some manual setup to get
>my sound blaster working ). Snd it looks good.

>However I have a problem. The system locks up solid frequently for no
>apparent reason. When I start using the system after a few minutes the
>mouse cursor freezes and the system is locked so solid that there is
>nothing left to do but hit the power switch. Any ideas ? Has anyone
>else had this problem with this release ? Any suggestions on how to
>correct it ?

>My system consistes of the following:
>-Amptron PII-2200 Motherboard with Intel Pentium II-333 and 128MB SDRAM
>-Quantum Fireball 8.4ES ATA Hard Drive
>-Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme PCI 4MB Video Card
>-Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16-SCSI-2 ISA Sound Board (Non-PnP)
>-Microsoft J-Mouse PS/2 Mouse (Version 2.1A)
>-ACER PCI Ethernet 10-Base-T Network Card

One thing to investigate is an IRQ conflict. If it always seems to
happen with the mouse, that is a good starting point. See what boot is
doing with 'dmesg | less' in an xterm. Also, 'cat /proc/interrupts' to
see which ones are in use.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

Linux Mandrake 6.0 ( Maximum Linux magazine ) Lockups

Post by Matt O'Tool » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've had all kinds of problems with that disk, too.  To their credit,
Maximum Linux replaced the disk twice after my first installation attempt
failed.  Since then, I was able to install OK, but the installation took
hours, when it usually takes half an hour or so total.  I had a hell of a
time getting X working, which had never been a problem before, and still, I
can't get anything but one video mode working.  I've had all kinds of weird
problems since, mostly with X locking up, the X login tool locking up, and
new rpms from the disk not being found, or rpm installations failing and
locking up the machine.  BTW, there are no IRQ conflicts, etc.  I think the
Maximum Linux disks are just a bad burn, and I also think Mandrake 6.0
itself may not be up to snuff.  Previously, I had been running Mandrake 5.2
with some upgrades, with no trouble at all.

Matt O.

> On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:41:55 -0330, Wayne Collins

> >I just installed the a version of Linux Mandrake 6.0 that came with the
> >premier issue of Maximum Linux Magazine. After a couple of install
> >attempts i got it running on my system ( took some manual setup to get
> >my sound blaster working ). Snd it looks good.

> >However I have a problem. The system locks up solid frequently for no
> >apparent reason. When I start using the system after a few minutes the
> >mouse cursor freezes and the system is locked so solid that there is
> >nothing left to do but hit the power switch. Any ideas ? Has anyone
> >else had this problem with this release ? Any suggestions on how to
> >correct it ?

> >My system consistes of the following:
> >-Amptron PII-2200 Motherboard with Intel Pentium II-333 and 128MB SDRAM
> >-Quantum Fireball 8.4ES ATA Hard Drive
> >-Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme PCI 4MB Video Card
> >-Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16-SCSI-2 ISA Sound Board (Non-PnP)
> >-Microsoft J-Mouse PS/2 Mouse (Version 2.1A)
> >-ACER PCI Ethernet 10-Base-T Network Card

> One thing to investigate is an IRQ conflict. If it always seems to
> happen with the mouse, that is a good starting point. See what boot is
> doing with 'dmesg | less' in an xterm. Also, 'cat /proc/interrupts' to
> see which ones are in use.

> --
> Hal B

> --
>             Linux helps those who help themselves

Linux Mandrake 6.0 ( Maximum Linux magazine ) Lockups

Post by Hugh Laws » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I think the
>Maximum Linux disks are just a bad burn, and I also think Mandrake 6.0
>itself may not be up to snuff.  Previously, I had been running Mandrake 5.2
>with some upgrades, with no trouble at all.

My experience is different.  I've had no particular problems with Mandrake
6.0.  I have a pretty simple hardware setup though.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina