How do I know when it is SMP?

Post by may » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

What message will the boot screen display confirming SMP?  Are there
any test or commands that will reveal if SMP is actually enabled?  I
changed the make file and recompiled but see nothing about SMP.

I'm a bit green at this.  Any help appreciated.
thanks

How do I know when it is SMP?

Post by Jari Jal » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>What message will the boot screen display confirming SMP?  Are there
>any test or commands that will reveal if SMP is actually enabled?  I
>changed the make file and recompiled but see nothing about SMP.

>I'm a bit green at this.  Any help appreciated.
>thanks

When you start you machine it's tell starting prosessor 0 and 1 look
you booting log or look if you are /proc/smp then cat /proc/smp.

/Jari

How do I know when it is SMP?

Post by Mark Hea » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: What message will the boot screen display confirming SMP?  Are there
: any test or commands that will reveal if SMP is actually enabled?  I
: changed the make file and recompiled but see nothing about SMP.

It shows up in the dmesg ring buffer. Its fairly obvious, something like:

Booting processor 1
2 proccessors active 464.13 Bogomips...

A nice but simple test is to run 2 cpu intensive apps, like l3enc.  then
run top I had both using 99.4% CPU :-)

--
-- mark heath - Unix System Programmer/Engineer - Netspace Online Systems.
-- http://www.netspace.net.au/                        [Personal /~mheath]

How do I know when it is SMP?

Post by Richard A Lou » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>What message will the boot screen display confirming SMP?  Are there
>any test or commands that will reveal if SMP is actually enabled?  I
>changed the make file and recompiled but see nothing about SMP.
>I'm a bit green at this.  Any help appreciated.
>thanks

Hi,

start one console, run squake, leave in demo mode
start 2nd console, run squake, leave in demo mode
start third console, run top :-)

or you could start mc, and look in /proc/cpu
but quake is more fun :-)

HTH

Richard A Lough

1. I am a Linux Know Nothing, would like to know

you can shirnk your windows 98 partition and use the freed up space for
linux, then dual boot between the two (choose which to boot).. try
TurboLinux, www.turbolinux.com/orders/ you can grab the boxed set w/ manual
that walks you through every step of installing it, including shrinking your
partition, it also includes WordPerfect8 for linux.. you can also download
it via ftp and cheapbytes (www.cheapbytes.com) will have it soon as well,
though you won't get the book and probably won't get WP8.. as fors
creenshots, there are tons of places on the web you can find screenshots of
people's systems
-Justin

Justin Ryan

Internet/Developer Relations Associate
Pacific HiTech / TurboLinux
http://www.turbolinux.com/

2. Magic (LSI layout editor) on Linux

3. List of SMP Boards that are known to Work with SMP LINUX.

4. Policy question: Running other users' programs

5. to know DOS is to know Unix?

6. Off-screen memory management on Xwindows ?

7. SMP Support: What am I missing?

8. How can I point out which kernel type I installed at Solaris7

9. I need/am looking for advice on performance testing tools for smp/scsi system

10. Dont know what I am looking at...

11. Reading a directory and knowing which type of file am I reading

12. How to know what shell I am ruuning from a C program?

13. Why I am glad I know perl