2nd REQ: HELP! Toshiba SCSI CDROM locks system on mount

2nd REQ: HELP! Toshiba SCSI CDROM locks system on mount

Post by Don Kendri » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Help, I've just installed Slackware 3.0 from my hard drive because the
install progam locked up every time I went to the CD. I've done
that...

Now, if I have a CD in the system when I boot the system hangs (thanks
to a file /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom that tries to mount the CD). The boot
process sees the CD drive OK...it even tells me all the correct info
about it (Toshiba 3401TA, detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, id 0, lun
0). Then this script hits...The light comes on the CD drive for awhile
and the eject button becomes disabled as if it was mounted. But then
the system hangs there.

If I don't put a CD in, then I get thru the boot OK. If I then try to
mount the CD, same thing...light comes on for awhile; eject disabled,
system locks up hard (no ctl-alt-del out of this).

Other things:

The CD works fine in DOS/Win95.

 It's hooked to a Pro Audio Studio sound card (pretty much the same
thing as the PAS 16).

/proc/devices shows sr

/proc/filesystems shows iso9660

I'm *very* new to Linux and Unix (other than a term internet account
years ago, I've been doin' Unix for about 72 hours), so please talk
slowly when responding....Thanks

If you are nice enough to respond, could you copy me via email at

*  Richmond, *ia                                                                                  *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* The statements made by me are mine...Not DMV's                     *

1. HELP! Toshiba SCSI CDROM locks system on mount

[...]

2. Xircom Modem?

3. System doesn't mount 2nd cdrom drive

4. SB-Pro on 1.2.13: write error: I/O error

5. REQ: Help needed re: Panasonic CDrom SCSI & TP701. . .

6. whither /dev/CDisk??

7. HELP HELP HELP: my new SCSI HD locks my system (QUANTUM FIREBALL TM 2110S - AHA1740A)

8. Linux evolution...

9. REQ: Help mounting SCSI drive

10. Help With 2nd CDRom Mounting?

11. Kernel Panic can't mount FS on 00:00 - Toshiba 3701 cdrom HELP!!

12. Toshiba SCSI CDROM and FD 850MEX SCSI Card

13. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom