To FBDEV or not to FBDEV ?

Post by Bert Dougla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,

I have integrated motherboard PCI video that is only identified as:
ATI RAGE LT PRO 2X

It works with the Mach64 server.

But I received a recommendation from mandrake support to use the FBDev server.
(Meanwhile I got the Mach64 server working.)

So what are the pros and cons?  Any reason to change?

Thanks,
Bert Douglas

To FBDEV or not to FBDEV ?

Post by David Ript » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have integrated motherboard PCI video that is only identified as:
>ATI RAGE LT PRO 2X

Not bad, by integrated standards.  The 8MB Rage Pro LT is
still the best 3D accelerator you can get for a laptop.

Quote:>It works with the Mach64 server.

>But I received a recommendation from mandrake support to use the FBDev server.
>(Meanwhile I got the Mach64 server working.)

>So what are the pros and cons?  Any reason to change?

The pro of fbdev is that it's generic.  It treats your
video card as a lowest-common-denominator frame buffer.
This means it's a good choice for otherwise-unsupported
cards and new architectures.  The other pro is the cool
splash screen.

The con of fbdev is that it's really slow.  At least
it was on a Matrox G200 about a year ago.  (SuSE
released a real X server for the G200 two days after
I got fbdev working on it.  D'oh!)

You'll be happier with the Mach64 server.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.