Best Dual Processor board and processor

What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet with dual processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450 with a promise 66 raid controller...

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 01:10:10

> What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a
> small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have
> started a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet
> with dual processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I
> have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450
> with a promise 66 raid controller...

Hallo,

I don't know why you want a new/fater machine for your task, with enough
RAM your K6 450 MHz will easily blow away
your bandwith, you didn't wrote how much you have and what traffic you
expect?

Good luck

Michael Heiming

Best Dual Processor board and processor

Post by Martin Eriksso » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 08:06:35

You can try to get yourself a used BP6 board. Works with Celeron-I's only.
But I would say a single P3 (256kb cache vs. 128kb on Celeron) is better for
memory hungry apps (such as sql).

Post by emc.. » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 10:27:26

> What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a =
> small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started =
> a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet with dual =
> processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I have the =
> machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450 with a promise =
> 66 raid controller...

Do you need CPU power?  A WWW server isn't exactly CPU-intensive
unless you run lots of server-side scripts, and proper SQL queries
will keep MySQL from blocking too badly.

The things that'll help you the most are memory and disk: the former
for a big cache, the latter for when the cache isn't quite big
enough.  You might consider spending your money on a nice fast SCSI
RAID setup and a 512MB stick of RAM instead of a new board and pair of
CPUs.

--

Post by moonie; » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:18:35

>>What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet with dual processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450 with a promise 66 raid controller...

If you can wait a month or so the new duel Athlon boards will be out.  Thats
what I am waiting on.  Can't wait to test PHP4/MySQL/Apache with it.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)
ICQ #83003404
AIM mooniesdl3

Post by D. Stimit » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:29:41

> What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a
> small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have
> started a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet
> with dual processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I
> have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450
> with a promise 66 raid controller...

Beware the i840 chipset, it has a broken IO-APIC (with it disabled
responsiveness is badly hurt). Most anything else runs nicely. Lately I
have considered the ServerWorks chipsets the choice if you need 64-bit
PCI; otherwise, there are a lot of good boards out there (BX chipset has
been quite solid for a long time). FYI, a valid reason for SMP is to
maintain responsiveness under load; this can be a problem for web
servers, and SMP does help there. Often a concern is hard drive access
speed, since multiple persons may be reading web pages at nearly the
same time. In which case you should definitely consider SCSI, especially
ultra-160.

Post by moonie; » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 13:14:03

>>>What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet with dual processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450 with a promise 66 raid controller...

>If you can wait a month or so the new duel Athlon boards will be out.  Thats
>what I am waiting on.  Can't wait to test PHP4/MySQL/Apache with it.
>--
>moonie ;)

proc's.
--

Post by Stuffed Crus » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:17:14

> Do you need CPU power?  A WWW server isn't exactly CPU-intensive
> unless you run lots of server-side scripts, and proper SQL queries
> will keep MySQL from blocking too badly.

A better SQL server will also keep your SQL queries from blocking up too
badly...

(MySQL is terrible when it comes to larger loads, especially when there
 more than a trivial amount of writes..)

But yeah, unless you have a REALLY fat network pipe, CPU is nearly
irrevelant when it comes to serving straight web pages.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaAT*theusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.

1. What's the best Dual Processor board for FBSD

What is the best - tried and tested - Dual Processor board for FBSD, and
does the latest - 3.2-STABLE - handle it without patches etc.

or should I wait for 4-STABLE ?

thanks
Bob

---  http://4qir.quantum-radio.net.au - Where Only The Dedicated Survive!
4QIR Quantum Radio. Bringing you the original sounds of AFVN, with some of
the
original DJ's - back on air - and supporting not only the original Vets, in
comprehensive AFVN Archives, but putting together segments for the fighting
men and
women of todays services all around the world. World Music, for people of
the world.

2. Linux on extended partition?

3. dual processor vs faster single processor

4. modem usb adsl

5. Dual processor to single processor!!

6. Slackware Cdrom troubles

7. convert kernel from dual processor to single processor

8. D-Link NIC

9. dual-processor-boards

10. linux and dual processor boards

11. Dual processor mother boards.

12. Dual processor board?

13. Installing v2.5 x86 on a Dual Pentium Board with One Processor