blank xwindow screen on bootup

Post by Mick » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have sucessfully installed it, within a 2 gig extended partition, around 4
gigs into the drive.

At this point, I need to use the boot disk to start it up, and It stops
after the mandrake login automatically switches to "X windows" (I quess)

    all I get after seeing the penguin, is a black screen and a cursor that
is a pointer, an X, or an insert symbol, depending on where in the screen it
points.

Helpful hints so far......

BTW after reading some more tidbits I found a partial solution.

Linux will not boot or use the root in a drive unless

    It is in drive one or two, and in the first 1024 cylinders.

    By drive one or two they mean...IDE primary channel master and slave.

    If you are like most people that own cd writers, and a cd player in the
same computer, you would normally install each on a separate channel.

Mine is set up IDE primary master - 13 gig maxtor
                                               slave  -   Cd player
                         IDE secondary master - 4 gig WD
                                                    slave   -  HP cd writer
                            SCSI        - Tape drive, and 6 gig Quantum

So the only place Linux will install to or recognize as bootable would be in
the first 1024 cylinders of my maxtor drive.

1. I get a blank screen when exiting Xwindows

When I exit X Windows all I get is a blank screen.  My video card is not
switching back to text mode.

Hardware:
MAGDX15F monitor
Orchid Fahrenheit64 2Mb VLB (uses Vision 864) video card
486DX33

Software:
Slackware 2.1
XFree86 3.1
S3 Server (have tried 3.1 and 3.1.1)

TIA
Steve
--
Steve Kelly

2. irq handling code consolidation (v850 part)

3. vi blanks out, long listing blanks screen

4. scsi does not recognize Yamaha 4416S cd-writer

5. olvwm- get current screen and blank screen

6. Maxtor Drives...which one(s)?

7. Console-Screen-Blanking: black chars on white screen

8. Asus A7A266

9. XWindows comes up to blank desktop

10. Xwindows bootup

11. XWindows blanks out

12. how to start Xwindows on bootup?

13. Pls help with Xwindows problem (console is blank)