DNS Setup (Intranet w/ Internet Cache)

Post by steven ray lan » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

First of all, sorry for cross posting this.  I was not sure which
newsgroups
was the correct one.

Here's the situation:

We have 3 segments to our network:

172.16.0.0, 172.20.0.0, 172.21.0.0

We would like to create 2 internal DNS servers for all our internal
addresses.  These DNS servers will have a secondary DNS which points to
our
internet gateway.

We have 2 linux boxes (redhat 5.2 - 2.0.36 kernel).  Both are setup as
DHCP
servers for 2 of our 3 segments (we'll add a 3rd linux box for that
segment
in the future).

We have about 100 static IP addresses (servers, routers, hubs,
workstations).  We would like to keep the hosts files on the local DNS
servers so that all the workstations, etc., don't have to have a copy
for the
hosts file.

With that in mind, how do I configure DNS.  I was reading the HOWTO's
for
DNS (named), but all them show configurations for 'cache only' DNS.  We
need
to create a private DNS as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Steven Ray Lane
SeatonCorp

remove .nojunk from address when replying

"Sometimes I wake up grumpy.
 Other times I let her sleep."

  steven.lane.nojunk.vcf
< 1K Download

DNS Setup (Intranet w/ Internet Cache)

Post by steven ray lan » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I must have missed something then.  Where is the HOWTO for this? ( I want to
make sure I was reading the right one)

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Read the HOWTO more carefully.  The information is there.  I set  up an
internal DNS server in my home and it works great.  I used nothing except
the HOWTO to do it too.

Tom Veldhouse

>First of all, sorry for cross posting this.  I was not sure which
>newsgroups
>was the correct one.

>Here's the situation:

>We have 3 segments to our network:

>172.16.0.0, 172.20.0.0, 172.21.0.0

>We would like to create 2 internal DNS servers for all our internal
>addresses.  These DNS servers will have a secondary DNS which points to
>our
>internet gateway.

>We have 2 linux boxes (redhat 5.2 - 2.0.36 kernel).  Both are setup as
>DHCP
>servers for 2 of our 3 segments (we'll add a 3rd linux box for that
>segment
>in the future).

>We have about 100 static IP addresses (servers, routers, hubs,
>workstations).  We would like to keep the hosts files on the local DNS
>servers so that all the workstations, etc., don't have to have a copy
>for the
>hosts file.

>With that in mind, how do I configure DNS.  I was reading the HOWTO's
>for
>DNS (named), but all them show configurations for 'cache only' DNS.  We
>need
>to create a private DNS as well.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>--

>Steven Ray Lane
>SeatonCorp
>Chicago,IL

>remove .nojunk from address when replying

>"Sometimes I wake up grumpy.
> Other times I let her sleep."

DNS Setup (Intranet w/ Internet Cache)

Post by John Kenyo » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Its in the DNS-Howto.

I would suggest setting up just one DNS server initially.

When starting out the trick is to try out the caching only server,
get that working, Put that work to one side then work on the server
for your own private domain.

Then you need to take the named.conf file for the caching server
(which should contain a zone file for 127.0.0), and then add
the zone files for your private domain, (eg. foobar.com), and
its "reverse lookup table" (e.g. 192.168.0).

Then try it all again.

The next thing to do is to go out and by the O'Reilly "DNS and Bind"
book (the one with the cricket on the front), and configure your
security. Then when you feel brave create a second server.

/John

> I must have missed something then.  Where is the HOWTO for this? ( I want to
> make sure I was reading the right one)

> >Read the HOWTO more carefully.  The information is there.  I set  up an
> >internal DNS server in my home and it works great.  I used nothing except
> >the HOWTO to do it too.

> >Tom Veldhouse

> >>First of all, sorry for cross posting this.  I was not sure which
> >>newsgroups
> >>was the correct one.

> >>Here's the situation:

> >>We have 3 segments to our network:

> >>172.16.0.0, 172.20.0.0, 172.21.0.0

> >>We would like to create 2 internal DNS servers for all our internal
> >>addresses.  These DNS servers will have a secondary DNS which points to
> >>our
> >>internet gateway.

> >>We have 2 linux boxes (redhat 5.2 - 2.0.36 kernel).  Both are setup as
> >>DHCP
> >>servers for 2 of our 3 segments (we'll add a 3rd linux box for that
> >>segment
> >>in the future).

> >>We have about 100 static IP addresses (servers, routers, hubs,
> >>workstations).  We would like to keep the hosts files on the local DNS
> >>servers so that all the workstations, etc., don't have to have a copy
> >>for the
> >>hosts file.

> >>With that in mind, how do I configure DNS.  I was reading the HOWTO's
> >>for
> >>DNS (named), but all them show configurations for 'cache only' DNS.  We
> >>need
> >>to create a private DNS as well.

> >>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> >>--

> >>Steven Ray Lane
> >>SeatonCorp
> >>Chicago,IL

> >>remove .nojunk from address when replying

> >>"Sometimes I wake up grumpy.
> >> Other times I let her sleep."

1. Installing an Intranet with DNS and a line to the Internet

I have to setup an Intranet with a nameserver and one gateway to the
internet. The clients at the localnet have private IP.

Is there a step-by-step installation guide to install a nameserver on a
localnet with contact to the Internet. The IP at the Internet side will be
dynamic.

Robert

2. Determine TCP Port Number for a Telnet Session

3. DNS from intranet to internet problems

4. xscreensaver on Redhat Linux 9

5. Local DNS Setup for Intranet - Please Help

6. Why does yard not think kernel is compressed?

7. Device Drivers question

8. caching DNS over 2 Internet connections

9. Small network, Internet connection and caching DNS server

10. Setup Cache DNS Server

11. ANNOUNCE: Automated DNS setup (caching server)

12. DNS-setup: caching-only (AIX4.2)