Diamond Supra Modem Install (Help)

Post by jeff_b_bald.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am more of a router/switch guy, just moved into the OS arena.
I can set up a Cisco router with Cisco IOS no problem.  Pop
in front of my computer, and I have to deal with the OS, and I'm a
klutz.

Installed Mandrake 7.0 on my PII 266 NEC computer.  I've a Diamond Supra
Express 56i SP V.90 modem, and when I try to use the PPP set up, it says
device isn't there?  I've tried to interpret some of the helps/how-to's
but I'm lost.  Seems I'm supposed to do some in the /etc. (still trying
to get a feel for the Linux file system), but not sure exactly what/how.

I've noted all my IP stack settings, etc., it seems more to be an issue
of the OS knowing that I've a modem installed.Can someone tell how (from
scratch), one would configure/install my modem so that I can get
connected to the internet via my ISP?

Thanks,

Jeff Baldwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Diamond Supra Modem Install (Help)

Post by Rob Cla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[..]

Quote:>Installed Mandrake 7.0 on my PII 266 NEC computer.  I've a Diamond Supra
>Express 56i SP V.90 modem, and when I try to use the PPP set up, it says
>device isn't there?  I've tried to interpret some of the helps/how-to's
>but I'm lost.  Seems I'm supposed to do some in the /etc. (still trying
>to get a feel for the Linux file system), but not sure exactly what/how.

Have you seen the Modem-HOWTO and the PNP-HOWTO?  It sounds like you have
a ISA Plug and Play modem, but have not used isapnptools to set the
address and IRQ on the modem.  This step is critical if your modem doesn't
have "legacy jumpers."

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Post by Dale Wilco » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am more of a router/switch guy, just moved into the OS arena.
> I can set up a Cisco router with Cisco IOS no problem.  Pop
> in front of my computer, and I have to deal with the OS, and I'm a
> klutz.

> Installed Mandrake 7.0 on my PII 266 NEC computer.  I've a Diamond Supra
> Express 56i SP V.90 modem, and when I try to use the PPP set up, it says
> device isn't there?  I've tried to interpret some of the helps/how-to's
> but I'm lost.  Seems I'm supposed to do some in the /etc. (still trying
> to get a feel for the Linux file system), but not sure exactly what/how.

> I've noted all my IP stack settings, etc., it seems more to be an issue
> of the OS knowing that I've a modem installed.Can someone tell how (from
> scratch), one would configure/install my modem so that I can get
> connected to the internet via my ISP?

> Thanks,

> Jeff Baldwin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I believe that is a winmodem

Diamond Supra Modem Install (Help)

Post by claydo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a Diamond Supra Express SP modem (isa card) and it is definitely not
a winmodem. I believe that there is a winmodem version of this (Supra
Express Pro?). Once I set the jumpers on it (for COM2 IRQ 3 in my case), the
OS recognized  the modem and all I had to do was check the correct com port
in linux (ttyS1 ) luckily I have two modems on my system as with the jumpers
set, Windows won't recognize the card. I haven't yet tried isapnotools yet
to see if I can configure the card as a plug-and-play.

claydoh

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."

My sites:
http://www.com-prod.com/claydoh
http://home.midmaine.com/~gryghost/emac/