xdm to xdm - where is chooser?

Post by Laszlo Vecse » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have a few linux boxes each running xdm (with no XServers entries), and
I'm running a local xdm on another system for actual display.

Unfortunately I can't connect to the other servers on the lan, even with
-broadcast (I also tried -indirect and -query, explicitely in XServers) on
the local system. Any reason why the 'chooser' isn't coming up instead of
a local login prompt?

- lv

1. Problem with starting chooser via xdm

   Hi to all,

   I would like to ask your help in tuning chooser to offer a menu on
Unix-host. It has been easily tuned for Xterminals that are loaded via
tftpboot from machine with FreeBSD 2.2 and XFree 3.3.1 installed. But
attempt to run chooser on Unix-host (with either FreeBSD 2.2 & XFree 3.3.1
or Linux 2.0.29 & XFree 3.3.2 installed) by running xdm with the following
line in file .../xdm/Xservers
      :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect hostname_of_server
failed. To say more carefully, chooser started, allowed to choose, X from
chosen host started and worked for some minutes, then crashed, and
chooser run again. After some successive attempts xdm crashed itself, and
its process died.
   I guess the reason is in the incorrect configuration. The most strange
for me is that X does not refuse to start in principle, but crashes after
some minutes of work...
   I would be grateful for the answer via e-mail.

   Thanks,
      Alexey.

2. Resizing the swap partition?

3. SPARX,xdm,chooser and HP

4. 2.4_Recommended Patch Cluster w/Wietek uPower CPU

5. xdm chooser mode problems

6. Colour ls problem

7. Q: xdm chooser

8. How to duplicate stderr and stdout to a second file

9. xdm + chooser

10. xdm and chooser question

11. XDM setup with chooser

12. Start chooser with local xdm.