Cd-Rom recognized but won't mount

Post by mk.. » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I recently added a second device, a hard drive, to my scsi aha-1520a adapter which
had previously had only one device, a NEC cd-rom drive.
Now my cdrom, which is recognized at bootup and which used to work well won't
mount. That is, when I enter "mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom", I get the message
"mount point /cdrom does not exist", although it does. It doesn't matter if
I create another directory and try to mount to that, nor does it help to try to
use /dev/sr1.
Can anyone tell me what's going on? Clearly the kernel recognizes the cd-rom.
Is it a device problem? How to fix it?
Help!!!

Post by Andries Brouw » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: That is, when I enter "mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom", I get the message
: "mount point /cdrom does not exist", although it does.

Check that /cdrom is not a symbolic link to nowhere.
Check your major and minor device numbers.
Get ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/linux/util/mount-2.5.tar.gz
for a mount with correct error messages.

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. Socket Script v1.11

3. Won't detect and mount CD-ROM (Yggdrasil, cd-dependent)

4. "Connection refused" by X server for W95 ??

5. LINUX won't recognize IDE REVEAL 4X CD-ROM

6. Audio CD flakiness in RedHat 7.3

7. CD-ROM won't be recognized

8. What is Win95, exactly?...

9. Slackware 3.0.0 won't recognize SCSI CD-ROM

10. Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

11. Won't recognize my CD-ROM drive

12. Slackware won't recognize mitsumi CD-ROM

13. Linux won't recognize my CD-ROM (nec cdr-260)