PS/2 Mouse erratic, Serial Mouse OK. Why?

PS/2 Mouse erratic, Serial Mouse OK. Why?

Post by Jonathan » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I've got a standard microsoft PS/2 (auxialary port) mouse, and it goes
crazy in both Xwindows and in a normal shell upon startup (using gbm, I
believe, the thing that lets you cut and paste in a non-xwindows shell).
I plugged my father's serial mouse into port 1 (com) and then setup linux
for a serial mouse,a ndit worked.
   My mouse works fine in Win95, and all my other DOS applications, though
Linux is screwed up.  What's up with this?  And yes, I recompiled the
kernel- is there anything I should do after I recompile the kernel?
Besides reboot?  It finished ompiling so I assumed that it had done all
the necessary direcotyr manipulation... thanks in advance!

Jonathan Bakert                                 "Question Reality"
Keeper of the WWW Poetry, Lyric, and Short Story Retreat!
(Publish your work on the net easily, instantly, and freely!)
http://www.cris.com/~maendark/poetry.html

Post by Alexander Kreb » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I've got a standard microsoft PS/2 (auxialary port) mouse, and it goes
> crazy in both Xwindows and in a normal shell upon startup (using gbm, I
> believe, the thing that lets you cut and paste in a non-xwindows shell).
<snip>
> kernel- is there anything I should do after I recompile the kernel?
> Besides reboot?  It finished ompiling so I assumed that it had done all
> the necessary direcotyr manipulation... thanks in advance!

Hi!

My PS/2-mouse works fine for me with gpm and X after doing some changes
to the command line parameters of gpm and the XF86Config:

1. gpm is called from rc.local on my machine, so the following line exists
   in it:

   gpm -m /dev/psaux -R -t ps2 &

   description (what I know about ;-)
   -> '-m /dev/psaux': use mouse file /dev/psaux (the device driver is
      located 'behind' this)
   -> '-R': share the mouse on a fifo file (you'll need this for using X
      during active gpm), be careful, some older versions of gpm don't
      provide this feature and you'll have to disable gpm for X.
   -> '-t ps2': set mouse type to PS/2
   -> '&': you know ... :)

2. the poining device section in XF86Config should look like this:

   Section "Pointer"
       Protocol    "MouseSystems"
       Device      "/dev/gpmdata"

   description
   -> note, that you have to use a MouseSystems protocol, gpm's '-R'
      option shares the mouse in graphical mode on a fifo called
      '/dev/gpmdata' with this protocol
   -> you have to create this fifo once 'by hand': 'mkfifo /dev/gpmdata'

Hope this helps!

Alex.

1. gpm: PS/2 mouse and serial mouse

Hi all,

I would like to know how to check under Linux if there's an external
serial mouse attached (I have a notebook). Normally I would like to set
up my touch pad (PS/2) (is this possible with gpm?), but if there's an
external mouse available I would prefer using it instead.

Thanks in advance,

Achie

2. kernel panic:unable to load vfs filesystem - linux-2.2.9config (0/1)

3. change from Serial mouse to PS/2 mouse

4. Network unreachable !

5. Using a Serial mouse when a PS/2 mouse port exists in the system

6. Can drives be powered on/off in a server

7. HELP: Serial Mouse --> PS/2 mouse

8. Debian 2.0 on a laptop, newbie

9. Serial mouse is detected as PS/2 mouse

10. Changing PS/2 mouse to serial mouse

11. Installed with PS/2 mouse but changed to serial mouse

12. Moving from PS/2 mouse to serial mouse

13. Erratic PS/2 mouse movement