questions on bootable CD

Post by Roy Liml » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a bootable CD ROM and didn't have much luck.  I
can successfully built a bootable floppy (1 or more) by following the
Linux Bootdisk HOWTO.  However, there is no instruction on how to create
a bootable CD.

Since the filesystem for floppy (ext2fs) and CDROM(iso9600) are different,
I can't use the Linux Bootdisk HOWTO as guide.  Hence I don't know how
to set the kernel where to find the rootfs for iso9600 filesystem.  So I
ended up burning a lot of CD, and everytime, the kernel can never find
the rootfs correctly. quite frustrating :)

If anyone out there can help me, please mail all helps to

Thanks in advance.
Roy

questions on bootable CD

Post by Zenon Fortu » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hi All,

>I'm trying to create a bootable CD ROM and didn't have much luck.  I
>can successfully built a bootable floppy (1 or more) by following the
>Linux Bootdisk HOWTO.  However, there is no instruction on how to create
>a bootable CD.

>Since the filesystem for floppy (ext2fs) and CDROM(iso9600) are different,
>I can't use the Linux Bootdisk HOWTO as guide.  Hence I don't know how
>to set the kernel where to find the rootfs for iso9600 filesystem.  So I
>ended up burning a lot of CD, and everytime, the kernel can never find
>the rootfs correctly. quite frustrating :)

> [...]

Not every PC BIOS can boot from a CD. The Phoenix extensions, however,
provide a possibility to create a CD in the "El Torito" format, to emulate
booting from CD as it would be a floppy (you can find the description of the
El Torito format on the Phoenix web site).

Instead of creating the "El Torito" CD *manually*, you can use a newer version
of the mkisofs utility, which has "-b" and "-c" options.
Essentially, you prepare an image of a bootable floppy and place it in
a directory cone intended for "mkisofs" wrap-up. You point it with the
"-b boot_image" option of mkisofs.

In the mkisofs-1.12b4 source tree there is a README.eltorito which tells
more details.

        Zenon

1. Bootable Floppy bin image to bootable CD?

I'm trying to use a memory test application which boots from a floppy
drive.  After building the program, I am left with a file "memtest.bin"
which after using 'dd if=mem....' would create a bootable disk to use to
run.  I, however, have no floppy drive with which to use on either my linux
box or XP box.  I was wondering if there was a way to get this .bin file
onto a CD (the CD writer is in the XP machine mind you, is it possible to
get this into an ISO)?

The link below is to the site where the memory testing program is.  Thanks
for any help you can give.

Bogo

http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/

2. File/Record Locking w/ fcntl()

3. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

4. MooTiff linker problems

5. How to make a bootable tape from bootable cd?

6. mounted fat32 partitions

7. Question about building bootable cd

8. Type confusion in fbcon

9. Bootable CD question

10. questions on bootable CD

11. Guru question: Insatlling Linux without a Floppy or Bootable CD?