mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Post by noel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I seem to have the same /dev configuration  (and dates) as your installation
so thats ok
also the fstab file is fine.

I don't have a file   isofs.o   in my  /lib/modules/kernel-ver/fs
directory.  Do I need this file??
(someone mentioned this to me)

The CDRom is functioning ok as I ran the win NT setup disks and it detected
an  ATAPI  (PCI) cdrom controller.

strange..

thanks
n.

> [...]

>First off, do an ls -la /dev/cdrom

>This should show you a line like:

>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Feb  7 06:23 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

>Your results will vary based upon the hardware that you have.  What
>this shows is that /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/hdc, so do the same
>thing with your device:

>brw-------   1 oracle   disk      22,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hdc

>It should show up as a block device.  Again, based upon hardware, the
>22, 0 that shows up for me will probably not match yours.  It should
>show up with at least the brw at the beginning.  If you have one that
>shows up as c, your device was corrupted.  If you don't have a backup,
>you could try removing the device and re-creating with mknod.  (See the
>man pages for information.)  But, since it was corrupted in device
>type, it may have lost its major and minor node information, also.  In
>this case, you can try playing around, but you are probably better off
>reloading.

>Secondly, in the /etc/fstab file, you should have a line similar to:

>/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro
>0 0

>If your file does not match, you probably have a problem with your
>configuration.

>Third, does the CD-ROM still work?  Do you strictly have one OS on the
>box or multiple?  It may be that the CD just failed, and you have found
>it by chance with this error.  (Does the mount appear to access the CD?)

>Lastly, depending on how much you have loaded, just like with good old
>Win95, sometimes reloading is a very easy fix.  Linux loads pretty
>quick.  It just depends on what other uses you make of your system.

>Terry Steyaert

>> Hello,

>> I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-
>line
>> or linuxconf.

>> Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
>> /mnt/cdrom"  I
>> get rebuffed with :

>>    #mount  /mnt/cdrom
>>      mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block
>device
>>                     (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

>> # insmod iso9660
>>     insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

>> Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing
>in the
>> background.

>> It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I
>am only
>> a beginner
>> really.   sigh!

>> thanks for expert advice...
>> noel

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Post by noel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

also   when I ran the setup for  Red Hat 6.0  to try a reinstall it did'nt
detect a
CD Rom either ..   something about block device  again...

;-(

Post by Regit Youn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I seem to have the same /dev configuration  (and dates) as your installation
> so thats ok
> also the fstab file is fine.

> I don't have a file   isofs.o   in my  /lib/modules/kernel-ver/fs
> directory.  Do I need this file??
> (someone mentioned this to me)

> The CDRom is functioning ok as I ran the win NT setup disks and it detected
> an  ATAPI  (PCI) cdrom controller.

May I suggest that you post the output from "dmesg" and/or
"/usr/src/linux/.config" (note the "dot" in front of config).

Have you change the order of the cdrom drive lately?

mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Post by Marc Childres » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Here's your problem- My setup is slightly different since I use a SCSI
cdrom, but you should get the idea.  /dev/cdrom is only a symlink see
below-

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Mar 13 06:51 /dev/cdrom ->
scd0

When the link is correct, it mounts correctly-

mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only

Your symlink points to the wrong device, and you should get the same
error as below ( I don't have a hda1, since I have UDMA/66)

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hda1 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

What you need to do to fix your problem is
1. "ls -la /dev/cdrom"  This should produce somthing similar to what I
have above, probably like this

/dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdb1

here are the hd()....  The letter after hd represents the controller,
and the number after that represents the partition number.  (e.g. hdd5
is the fifth partition on the secondary slave)

hda - primary master
hdb - primary slave
hdc - secondary master
hdd - secondary slave

So when you were mounting your /dev/cdrom before you moved it, it was
probably on /dev/hdd1, and your symlink pointed to /dev/hdb1.  Deleting
/dev/cdrom, and re-linking it (ln -s $realpath $alias) to the apropriate
hd controller / partition should fix your problem.

HTH, any other questions feel free to email me as well,

Marc Childress
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY

Post by Rob Lahay » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> What you need to do to fix your problem is
> 1. "ls -la /dev/cdrom"  This should produce somthing similar to what I
> have above, probably like this

> /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdb1

> here are the hd()....  The letter after hd represents the controller,
> and the number after that represents the partition number.  (e.g. hdd5
> is the fifth partition on the secondary slave)

> hda - primary master
> hdb - primary slave
> hdc - secondary master
> hdd - secondary slave

It should be:

 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdb

(not with a number). In my case it's hdc, but try it out and see which one
works for you. You can check the dmesg (just type 'dsmesg'). For me, there
are a few lines like this:

hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL EL5.1A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CRD-8322B, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL EL5.1A, 4892MB w/418kB Cache, CHS=623/255/63
hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache

1. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Hello,

I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-line
or linuxconf.

Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
/mnt/cdrom"  I
get rebuffed with :

   #mount  /mnt/cdrom
     mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
                    (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

# insmod iso9660
    insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing in the
background.

It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I am only
a beginner
really.   sigh!

thanks for expert advice...
noel

2. checking is last file in a listing

3. cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

4. Recommendation: 10/100 Ethernet card

5. cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

6. Lucid Emacs for Linux

7. CDROM Error: /mnt/cdrom is not a valid block device

8. Wierd CGI problem with Apache 1.3.6 SSL...can you help....

9. mount: /mnt/cdrom is not a block device (what?)

10. only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom

11. Kernel (2.2.9) dos not recognize syjet (/dev/sda1) as a block device

12. mount /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device.

13. MKINITRD: mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/loop0 as a block device