?-rescue

Post by phil » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:38:02

i'd like to thank everyone who helped me with my previous
post...but i'm still having
problems figuring out how to use a rescue disk.

i'm using a small distro that can fit on one floppy and load
into a ramdisk
...i could not figure out how to mount my harddrive.
(btw: i'm now dual booting os/2 w3 (fat) on hda1   and
mandrake7 boot partition hda5)

i setup the ramdrive and can now mount my os/2 partition by
doing the following;

mkdir /DOS
cd DOS
mount /dev/hda1

and i can now see my os/2 partition...

so i figured i should be able to do something similar for
linux...
so i did this:
mkdir /ext2
cd ext2
mount /dev/hda5

but i just get an error that there is no device hda5 in
fstab
( i even edited fstab and made the entry...to no effect)

any ideas?

--
Philo

website: www.plazaearth.com/philo

?-rescue

Post by Eric » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:51:50

Quote:> so i figured i should be able to do something similar for
> linux...
> so i did this:
> mkdir /ext2
> cd ext2
> mount /dev/hda5

> but i just get an error that there is no device hda5 in
> fstab
> ( i even edited fstab and made the entry...to no effect)

Post in plain text only!
(You were doing so fine up till now, why change it)

try `mount -t ext2 /dev/hda5 /ext2`

(This way no entry in fstab is required)

Eric

?-rescue

Post by phil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

thanks Eric...
(i had posted that last one from a browser i was not familiar with and
didn't realize i had html enabled...sorry...and thanks for telling me)

--

Philo

website : www.plazaearth.com/philo

dos win lin os/2 cp/m nde beos

?-rescue

Post by phil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

tried your suggestion and it worked!!!
(it also depended on which rescue disk i used)
...and this better not be in html this time....

thanks again!
--
Philo

website: www.plazaearth.com/philo

1. Rescue Disk

Hi.  I'm a new user.

I'd loaded Debian 2.0 successfully (hurray).  Then I messed up something
and I had to use the Rescue Disk.

Boot: Rescue /dev/hda2

I found that I could log in to the system as root without password.

What do I do short of  a complete reinstall, to revert back to normal
function?

Thanks.

Chui Tey

--
Nospam: Please remove single '_' from my e-mail address

2. Personal mail server

3. Is there a Rescue Disk HOW-to?

4. Converting PP size on rootvg

5. View filesystems via rescue disk

6. WABI 2.0 and Lotus Improv?

7. Best "rescue system" type floppy distribution?

8. Loadlin problem

9. Google to the rescue : Another way of detecting trolls

10. linux rescue set

11. Rescue Promise Fasttrak 100 RAID!!

12. SAR (Search-And-Rescue) disks maker V2.00

13. Network timeout and excessive collisions in rescue environment.