RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Marcus Fonten » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00



How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but when I
do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

My connection is via a 28.8 modem so I dont know how to set that up.  Any
Ideas?

My disk space is rather limited 1gig, so I may not have room to download
everything from RedHat

 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by RHS Linux Us » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00




Quote:> How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

> I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but
> when I do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

        If I were you, I'd buy a CD.  RedHat sells the "PowerTools" 6-CD
set, with all the RedHat 4.1 distributions, and the entire sunsite (a
popular Linux archive) FTP site, as well as ftp.x.org (X11 site)---all
for $30.

        If you use Linux a lot, it's well worth saving the download
time.

Quote:> My connection is via a 28.8 modem so I dont know how to set that up.
> Any Ideas?

        Use the "Control Panel" (run control-panel as root)

        Click on "Network", then, under "Interfaces" add a "ppp"
interface.  Once you upgrade to 4.1, it's easy.

Quote:> My disk space is rather limited 1gig, so I may not have room to download
> everything from RedHat

        You could try an FTP-based upgrade.  It will take a LONG time
though---at least 24 hours, probably more.

 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Bob Horva » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00






>> How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

>> I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but
>> when I do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

>    If I were you, I'd buy a CD.  RedHat sells the "PowerTools" 6-CD
>set, with all the RedHat 4.1 distributions, and the entire sunsite (a
>popular Linux archive) FTP site, as well as ftp.x.org (X11 site)---all
>for $30.

>    If you use Linux a lot, it's well worth saving the download
>time.

Agreed that buying the CD is easier, but I think you may have  missed
the point of the poster.  If you didn't misundstand, then I wouldn't
mind finding out the answers to the questions I thought he was asking,
namely:

Can one upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 using a ftp install over a dialup ppp
connection?

Assuming he doesn't want to buy another CD (because he just bought the
4.0 one and 4.1 doesn't look like a big jump forward)....

Quote:

>> My connection is via a 28.8 modem so I dont know how to set that up.
>> Any Ideas?

>    Use the "Control Panel" (run control-panel as root)

>    Click on "Network", then, under "Interfaces" add a "ppp"
>interface.  Once you upgrade to 4.1, it's easy.

I think he already has ppp setup, but cannot figure out how to do the
FTP install using ppp.  I could not figure this out either.  The FTP
setup assumes that you have a dedicated connection, which is a shame
for those of us that do not.

Quote:

>> My disk space is rather limited 1gig, so I may not have room to download
>> everything from RedHat

>    You could try an FTP-based upgrade.  It will take a LONG time
>though---at least 24 hours, probably more.

How does one do an FTP based upgrade if their only connection to FTP
is over a ppp link?
 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Keith Murre » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00







> >> How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

> >> I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but
> >> when I do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

> >       If I were you, I'd buy a CD.  RedHat sells the "PowerTools" 6-CD
> >set, with all the RedHat 4.1 distributions, and the entire sunsite (a
> >popular Linux archive) FTP site, as well as ftp.x.org (X11 site)---all
> >for $30.

> >       If you use Linux a lot, it's well worth saving the download
> >time.

> Agreed that buying the CD is easier, but I think you may have  missed
> the point of the poster.  If you didn't misundstand, then I wouldn't
> mind finding out the answers to the questions I thought he was asking,
> namely:

The point is don't waste your time doing an FTP install, it would take
forever, the distribution upgrades about 340 meg of info, that's alot to
carry over a modem, even an ISDN line.  

I would spend the money for the disk and save yourself alot of
headaches. After you install I would then go to www.redhat.com/errata
and get the patch files, those alone will take some time to get off the
net.

 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Bob Horva » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00


On 18 Mar 1997 10:36:05 -0700, Keith Murrey







>> >> How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

>> >> I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but
>> >> when I do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

>> >       If I were you, I'd buy a CD.  RedHat sells the "PowerTools" 6-CD
>> >set, with all the RedHat 4.1 distributions, and the entire sunsite (a
>> >popular Linux archive) FTP site, as well as ftp.x.org (X11 site)---all
>> >for $30.

>> >       If you use Linux a lot, it's well worth saving the download
>> >time.

>> Agreed that buying the CD is easier, but I think you may have  missed
>> the point of the poster.  If you didn't misundstand, then I wouldn't
>> mind finding out the answers to the questions I thought he was asking,
>> namely:

>The point is don't waste your time doing an FTP install, it would take
>forever, the distribution upgrades about 340 meg of info, that's alot to
>carry over a modem, even an ISDN line.  

Wow, it loads that much? I see that I have missed the even larger
point.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Quote:

>I would spend the money for the disk and save yourself alot of
>headaches. After you install I would then go to www.redhat.com/errata
>and get the patch files, those alone will take some time to get off the
>net.

Is there any way to see what has changed?  I have looked around the
RedHat site and haven't managed to find what is different about 4.1 to
make me want to spend the money to get it.

It seems like the kernel itself can't be that big (340M).  I would
guess that a lot of the packages that have changed are ones that I
don't use.  There should be a way to individually update those
packages that I use with rpm over ftp.

Does Debian handle upgrade like this any better?

 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Keith_Murrey,kmur.. » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00







> >> How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

> >> I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but
> >> when I do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

> >       If I were you, I'd buy a CD.  RedHat sells the "PowerTools" 6-CD
> >set, with all the RedHat 4.1 distributions, and the entire sunsite (a
> >popular Linux archive) FTP site, as well as ftp.x.org (X11 site)---all
> >for $30.

> >       If you use Linux a lot, it's well worth saving the download
> >time.

> Agreed that buying the CD is easier, but I think you may have  missed
> the point of the poster.  If you didn't misundstand, then I wouldn't
> mind finding out the answers to the questions I thought he was asking,
> namely:

The point is don't waste your time doing an FTP install, it would take
forever, the distribution upgrades about 340 meg of info, that's alot to
carry over a modem, even an ISDN line.  

I would spend the money for the disk and save yourself alot of
headaches. After you install I would then go to www.redhat.com/errata
and get the patch files, those alone will take some time to get off the
net.

--- Internet Message Header Follows ---
Path:
news.remcomp.fr!rain.fr!news-paris.gsl.net!news.gsl.net!gsl-stkh-ns.gsl.net!news.gsl.net!eru.mt.luth.se!news.algonet.se!hammer.uoregon.edu!zephyr.texoma.net!uunet!in2.uu.net!204.245.3.50!news.primenet.com!news.primenet.com!not-for-mail

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question
Date: 18 Mar 1997 10:36:05 -0700
Organization: Primenet Services for the Internet
Lines: 34




X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01 (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

-- end **** Sent by inVivo. The BBS of Life Sciences, Paris, France,

 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by David Welto » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00


Quote:> >> >> How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

> >> >> I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but
> >> >> when I do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

> >> >       If I were you, I'd buy a CD.  RedHat sells the "PowerTools" 6-CD
> >> >set, with all the RedHat 4.1 distributions, and the entire sunsite (a
> >> >popular Linux archive) FTP site, as well as ftp.x.org (X11 site)---all
> >> >for $30.

> >> >       If you use Linux a lot, it's well worth saving the download
> >> >time.

> >> Agreed that buying the CD is easier, but I think you may have  missed
> >> the point of the poster.  If you didn't misundstand, then I wouldn't
> >> mind finding out the answers to the questions I thought he was asking,
> >> namely:

> >The point is don't waste your time doing an FTP install, it would take
> >forever, the distribution upgrades about 340 meg of info, that's alot to
> >carry over a modem, even an ISDN line.  

> Wow, it loads that much? I see that I have missed the even larger
> point.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

> >I would spend the money for the disk and save yourself alot of
> >headaches. After you install I would then go to www.redhat.com/errata
> >and get the patch files, those alone will take some time to get off the
> >net.

> Is there any way to see what has changed?  I have looked around the
> RedHat site and haven't managed to find what is different about 4.1 to
> make me want to spend the money to get it.

> It seems like the kernel itself can't be that big (340M).  I would
> guess that a lot of the packages that have changed are ones that I
> don't use.  There should be a way to individually update those
> packages that I use with rpm over ftp.

> Does Debian handle upgrade like this any better?

Much better in my opinion.  Debian is even capable of installing the
whole mess over a ppp connection with ftp.  First of all, lots of
packages are upgraded incrementally, so it doesn't hit you all at
once, if you keep your system fairly current.

To upgrade in this way, you

1.  Fire up dselect, and tell it to 'update' its package list.  This
takes a minute due to the large number of deb packages.  (If you don't
already have the FTP upgrade method selected, you have to enter in a
few things, like the mirror and the directory in which debian can be found)

2.  Go to 'select' - this presents you with a list of new packages,
and packages which have newer versions available.  You select what to
upgrade.

3.  'Install' then connects you to your debian mirror, downloads the
various packages and then installs them.

Ciao,
--
David Welton  

Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
                                --Linuxista--

 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Keith Murre » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00



> On 18 Mar 1997 10:36:05 -0700, Keith Murrey






> >> >> How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 successfully?

> >> >> I have 4.0 installed, (have yet to work out connectivity problems) but
> >> >> when I do, how do I go about upgrading to Redhat 4.1?

> >> >       If I were you, I'd buy a CD.  RedHat sells the "PowerTools" 6-CD
> >> >set, with all the RedHat 4.1 distributions, and the entire sunsite (a
> >> >popular Linux archive) FTP site, as well as ftp.x.org (X11 site)---all
> >> >for $30.

> >> >       If you use Linux a lot, it's well worth saving the download
> >> >time.

> >> Agreed that buying the CD is easier, but I think you may have  missed
> >> the point of the poster.  If you didn't misundstand, then I wouldn't
> >> mind finding out the answers to the questions I thought he was asking,
> >> namely:

> >The point is don't waste your time doing an FTP install, it would take
> >forever, the distribution upgrades about 340 meg of info, that's alot to
> >carry over a modem, even an ISDN line.

> Wow, it loads that much? I see that I have missed the even larger
> point.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

> >I would spend the money for the disk and save yourself alot of
> >headaches. After you install I would then go to www.redhat.com/errata
> >and get the patch files, those alone will take some time to get off the
> >net.

> Is there any way to see what has changed?  I have looked around the
> RedHat site and haven't managed to find what is different about 4.1 to
> make me want to spend the money to get it.

Look at redhat web site, I am pretty sure they show you the updates.

www.redhat.com

Quote:> It seems like the kernel itself can't be that big (340M).  I would
> guess that a lot of the packages that have changed are ones that I
> don't use.  There should be a way to individually update those
> packages that I use with rpm over ftp.

No the kernal itself itsn't 340 meg, all of the packages are. From what
I understand you can use the RPM manager from redhat to install
packages???

Quote:> Does Debian handle upgrade like this any better?

I have never used Debian so I can't help you there.
 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by J.H.M.Dass » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00




>On 18 Mar 1997 10:36:05 -0700, Keith Murrey

>>The point is don't waste your time doing an FTP install, it would take
>>forever, the distribution upgrades about 340 meg of info, that's alot to
>>carry over a modem, even an ISDN line.  
[...]
>It seems like the kernel itself can't be that big (340M).  I would
>guess that a lot of the packages that have changed are ones that I
>don't use.  There should be a way to individually update those
>packages that I use with rpm over ftp.

I'm not a Red Hat user, but I would be extremely surprised if there
weren't one.

Quote:>Does Debian handle upgrade like this any better?

Debian upgrades (FTP, CD, NFS, whatever) work as follows:
- Fire up 'dselect', and select the access method (here: FTP), and fill
  in some data (here: site, dir).
- Do "Update list of available packages". This will FTP just the list of
  packages.
- Do "Select". This will present you with the available packages, with
  the updated versions of packages you're using first.
- If you don't want to upgrade a particular package, you can put it "on
  hold" ('h' key I think).
- After selecting, do 'install'. For FTP, this will first tell you the
  approximate ammount of data to be transferred, and then allow you
  to choose wether or not to download all of it, or only certain
  packages (e.g. the small or interesting ones).

HTH,
Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.

 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Bob Horva » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00


On 18 Mar 1997 15:19:02 -0700, Keith Murrey



>> On 18 Mar 1997 10:36:05 -0700, Keith Murrey


>> Is there any way to see what has changed?  I have looked around the
>> RedHat site and haven't managed to find what is different about 4.1 to
>> make me want to spend the money to get it.

>Look at redhat web site, I am pretty sure they show you the updates.

>www.redhat.com

I couldn't find it.  That is why I posted that statement.  If you can
tell me otherwise, I would be greatly appreciative.
 
 
 

RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

Post by Steven M. Gal » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00



[snip]

Quote:

>Assuming he doesn't want to buy another CD (because he just bought the
>4.0 one and 4.1 doesn't look like a big jump forward)....

Check out www.cheapbytes.com.  I bought the original RedHat 3.0.3
distribution from RedHat, but bought upgrades to 4.0 and 4.1 from
CheapBytes for $7 (including shipping).  For under $10, I don't have
an excuse not to buy the CD.  :-)

Steve

 
 
 

1. 4.1 SCSI boot fails, 4.0->4.1 upgrade boot OK

Hi:

I installed 4.1 from scratch on a Digital Celebris P133 box [Phoenix 4.14
BIOS] with an Adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI controller and a 2GB Seagate Barracuda
SCSI disk. The install goes fine [I have to boot from floppy as this system
doesn't support bootable CDROM].

After install, I cannot boot from the disk [which shows up as C: i.e.
disk1].

If I install 4.0 from scratch and then *upgrade* to 4.1 it boots OK. I have
duplicated this on a 2nd machine [same kind of box, but 3 SCSI disks].

I understand that the 4.1 i386 bootstrap code is 2x bigger. Is there some
magic that needs to happen for an older BIOS to work with the new boot
system? I tried 'boot0cfg -o packet' but got no improvement. The system
fails to boot whether I use the boot manager or the basic FreeBSD-only
loader.

Thanks - Jeff Stelzner

2. pwd system call?

3. Any advantage to upgrading, RedHat 4.0 -> 4.1 ??

4. Reading is much more interesting than TV (0223/1704)

5. RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 Upgrade

6. partition question

7. RedHat 4.0 -> 4.1 upgrade problem

8. Help setting up an avatar shark pcmcia removable drive

9. Upgrade Issues - RedHat 4.0 to 4.1

10. easiest way to upgrade 3.4 to 4.0 or 4.1

11. Red Hat 4.0/4.1 upgrade problems

12. rdh 4.0 to 4.1 upgrading the kernel

13. DLink DFE-500TX REV-C2 w/DIGITAL 21140-AE Chipset & RedHat 4.0/4.1