RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

Post by XaosSlaa » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

In case some of you haven't noticed yet, Java is particularly screwed up in
Netscape under RedHat 6.0.  Anyway here's how I fixed it.  Mind you I
upgraded to Netscape 4.6 where the stuff on CLASSPATH I found was necessary
may not be a problem in the preinstalled Netscape 4.51 that comes with
RedHat.  Ok so here it goes:

1.) Install all the font RPMS.  If you go into the /RedHat/RPMS directory on
the RedHat CD (or in your download or whereever) and do a 'ls *font*' you
should try to install all of these RPMS.  Most of them will be installed
already but a few wont.  Now to a ls '*ISO*', there will be some files you
didn't see before.  Make sure all of these are installed.  I seriously doubt
ALL of these need to be installed, it's probably just one, but I'm not about
to weed it out.  If you want have fun and find out which, let everyone know.
I'm just too damn lazy and too damn tired, but I have reason to suspect one
of the 75dpi RPMS if you want to start there.

2.)  Bear/Beer (whichever if either is right) in mind that the above alone
may fix your problem.  I however upgraded to Netscape 4.6 and found another
step necessary to fix all of my problems.  This was to set the CLASSPATH and
MOZILLA_HOME.  (I don't think the MOZILLA_HOME is the least bit necessary to
fix this problem but Netscape recommends it's use anyway so I'll not be lazy
this time and put it in.  In truth I'm not an expert Linux user and don't
know the best or preferred place to set them.  If you know you can share
with us.  In this example I do it in /etc/profile cause it worked for me.  I
added (at the top i suppose you can do it at the bottom or some random
location in the middle; if you play AD&D roll 1d20 and start on that line)
these lines (beer/bear in mind that I installed Netscape to the default
directory of /opt/netscape):
~
MOZILLA_HOME=/opt/netscape

export MOZILLA_HOME

CLASSPATH=/opt/netscape/java/classes/ifc11.jar:/opt/netscape/java/classes/ii
op10.jar:opt/netscape/java/classes
/jae40.jar:opt/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar:opt/netscape/java/classes/ji
o40.jar:opt/netscape/java/classes/jsd10:
opt/netscape/java/classes/ldap30.jar:opt/netscape/java/classes/resource.jar:
opt/netscape/java/classes/scd10.jar:
opt/netscape/nethelp/picsfail.jar:/opt/netscape/plugins/cpPack1.jar

export CLASSPATH
~

Probably the best way to do this is to run /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron and
then do a 'locate .jar' and write out the CLASSPATH to each one of the files
above.  For Netscape it is necessary to point explicitly to each file (says
the Netscape support pages), but after your done with them you can point to
any other directories that contain .jar for any other applications as long
as they are OK with it.  Also (again says Netscape) you must point to there
java40.jar before any other directory that contains a different version.
After all this log out and login for what you i to take effect and try to
get into Yahoo chat.  If you can get to where you can chat your OK.

Hope this helps,
--XaosSlaad

Post by Ron Ols » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

> In case some of you haven't noticed yet, Java is particularly screwed up in
> Netscape under RedHat 6.0.

The simplest fix:

As root:

1. chkfontlist --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
2. /etc/rc.d/init.d xfs restart

--
        Ron Olsen
        Boulder Colorado

RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

Post by Ron Ols » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

> The simplest fix:

> As root:

> 1. chkfontlist --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
> 2. /etc/rc.d/init.d xfs restart

That should be

  2. /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart.

--
        Ron Olsen
        Boulder Colorado

RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

Post by Silviu D Minu » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

I've seen several posts with this solution, or variations on this theme, and
although I haven't tried it, I don't question whether it works or not. The
problem with netscape seemed to be related to running java applets, and I just
don't understand what that has to do with the fonts. Is there a logical
explanation for that? Just curious.

Thanks!

Silviu Minut

> > In case some of you haven't noticed yet, Java is particularly screwed up in
> > Netscape under RedHat 6.0.

> The simplest fix:

> As root:

> 1. chkfontlist --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
> 2. /etc/rc.d/init.d xfs restart

> --
>         Ron Olsen
>         Boulder Colorado

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. Change defaultrouter without reboot the system?

3. Java applet and Java plug-in

4. PS

5. problem running Java Applets on linux - threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread ????

6. linux-Xkernel broadcast problem

7. Netscape Wrapper for RedHat 4.0 with Java Bug Fix

8. Connecting FreeBSD to Palm via PPP

9. Netscape crashes on java applets

10. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

11. Netscape 4.7 + Java Applet = Bus Error

12. Pb w/sounds for Java applets with Netscape 3.01