HP 560C printer setup in Linux?

Post by Davi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Well, I've started using Linux RH 6.0 with Star Office 5.1 suite. I am
however having alot of trouble setting up my printer in Linux.
I boot to a GUI. This works best for me ... I don't like to type a lot of
commands. I have tried to use the printool in the Control Panel that comes
with RH. I can print using the ASCII or Postscript print test while in the
printool, but nowhere else in the system?!? The printers simply do not
function anywhere alse in the system.
I have viewed most of the help files, and the appropriate conf files,
which seem to be in order, still no luck.

What am I missing?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by Nadeem Ria » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Well, I've started using Linux RH 6.0 with Star Office 5.1 suite. I am
> however having alot of trouble setting up my printer in Linux.
> I boot to a GUI. This works best for me ... I don't like to type a lot of
> commands. I have tried to use the printool in the Control Panel that comes
> with RH. I can print using the ASCII or Postscript print test while in the
> printool, but nowhere else in the system?!? The printers simply do not
> function anywhere alse in the system.
> I have viewed most of the help files, and the appropriate conf files,
> which seem to be in order, still no luck.

> What am I missing?

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

To make sure pritning is setup properly, type lpr /etc/passwd. If your
password file prints out, all is good, If not, your printer is not setup
properly. To print from the comand line type lpr <file name>. If you want to
print from star office, go to printer setup, and select generic pritner. This
will send printing requests to lpr. Most unix programs default to this
behavior, star office tries to do too much and supplies its own printer
drivers for no reason.

-- Nadeem