KDE and System Sounds

Post by Len Cuf » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
        I have SuSE 6.0, upgraded to kernel 2.2.5. I have just tried the
supplied version of KDE and I'm quite impressed with it. I can use the
media player and play all the .wav files in /usr/share/sounds/wav and I
have moved these into the KDE sound directory. When I look at the sound
setup, I see them all listed but when I 'enable system sounds', select
one and try the Test button, nothing happens ? CD's play fine but I
can't get system sounds which would be very nice.

What have I missed ??  The only 'clue' is a message in the console
screen (CTRL/ALT/F1) which says 'PID could not get read'. This message
seems to appear every time I open the sounds window.

Any ideas/pointers please ?
Cheers,
        Len

KDE and System Sounds

Post by Mark Clar » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
>         I have SuSE 6.0, upgraded to kernel 2.2.5. I have just tried the
> supplied version of KDE and I'm quite impressed with it. I can use the
> media player and play all the .wav files in /usr/share/sounds/wav and I
> have moved these into the KDE sound directory. When I look at the sound
> setup, I see them all listed but when I 'enable system sounds', select
> one and try the Test button, nothing happens ? CD's play fine but I
> can't get system sounds which would be very nice.

> What have I missed ??  The only 'clue' is a message in the console
> screen (CTRL/ALT/F1) which says 'PID could not get read'. This message
> seems to appear every time I open the sounds window.

> Any ideas/pointers please ?
> Cheers,
>         Len

Do you have a sound card in you system? Is it configured correctly?
I had to install one as a loadable module and rebuild my kernel to
get the sound card running...only then was I able to play system
sounds. My platform: AMD-k6-2 PC.

mark

KDE and System Sounds

Post by Len Cuf » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
        I have SuSE 6.0, upgraded to kernel 2.2.5. I have just tried the
supplied version of KDE and I'm quite impressed with it. I can use the
media player and play all the .wav files in /usr/share/sounds/wav and I
have moved these into the KDE sound directory. When I look at the sound
setup, I see them all listed but when I 'enable system sounds', select
one and try the Test button, nothing happens ? CD's play fine but I
can't get system sounds which would be very nice.

What have I missed ??  The only 'clue' is a message in the console
screen (CTRL/ALT/F1) which says 'PID could not get read'. This message
seems to appear every time I open the sounds window.

Any ideas/pointers please ?
Cheers,
        Len

KDE and System Sounds

Post by Len Cuf » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

writes

>> Hi,
>>         I have SuSE 6.0, upgraded to kernel 2.2.5. I have just tried the
>> supplied version of KDE and I'm quite impressed with it. I can use the
>> media player and play all the .wav files in /usr/share/sounds/wav and I
>> have moved these into the KDE sound directory. When I look at the sound
>> setup, I see them all listed but when I 'enable system sounds', select
>> one and try the Test button, nothing happens ? CD's play fine but I
>> can't get system sounds which would be very nice.

>> What have I missed ??  The only 'clue' is a message in the console
>> screen (CTRL/ALT/F1) which says 'PID could not get read'. This message
>> seems to appear every time I open the sounds window.

>> Any ideas/pointers please ?
>> Cheers,
>>         Len

>Do you have a sound card in you system? Is it configured correctly?
>I had to install one as a loadable module and rebuild my kernel to
>get the sound card running...only then was I able to play system
>sounds. My platform: AMD-k6-2 PC.

>mark

Mark,
        Sound card is fine. I can play .wav files using the KDE media
player and CD's are fine as well. I just get absolutely nothing when I
try the system sounds !
Cheers,
        Len

KDE and System Sounds

Post by Len Cuf » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>        I have SuSE 6.0, upgraded to kernel 2.2.5. I have just tried the
>supplied version of KDE and I'm quite impressed with it. I can use the
>media player and play all the .wav files in /usr/share/sounds/wav and I
>have moved these into the KDE sound directory. When I look at the sound
>setup, I see them all listed but when I 'enable system sounds', select
>one and try the Test button, nothing happens ? CD's play fine but I
>can't get system sounds which would be very nice.

>What have I missed ??  The only 'clue' is a message in the console
>screen (CTRL/ALT/F1) which says 'PID could not get read'. This message
>seems to appear every time I open the sounds window.

>Any ideas/pointers please ?
>Cheers,
>        Len

For those with this problem here is the cure for users running SuSE 6.0
(Release 2)

edit the file /opt/kde/bin/startkde and look for 2 lines commented out
which refer to kaudioserver and kwmsound. They were shipped as disabled
as they can cause problems. I've uncommented them and sound is working
fine now !
Cheers,
        Len

1. kde system events sound

hey i got a problem , i cant use any sound for my sysetem events , all
other sound works fine , i can play cd and stuff , just cant have any sound
for the system stuff ie: log on , log off , any help? , my sound works fine
with gnome just not kde!

2. Linux Backups

3. System sounds in KDE 1.1.2...

4. Running scripts upon DHCP IP change

5. System Sounds in KDE 2.0

6. Firewall help

7. KDE system sounds don't work with RedHat6.1

8. Newbie - X-windows influence on text mode

9. Ensoniq AudioPCI troubles, no system sounds in kde.

10. kde system sounds not working

11. has anybody system sounds with Mandrake 5.3 - kde 1.1

12. Printer/System Sounds Not Working from KDE

13. Update Suse 7.1 to Kde 2.2.2 sound system does'nt work