Installing Linux 2.1 with a scsi controller and scsi hard drives

Installing Linux 2.1 with a scsi controller and scsi hard drives

Post by Tom Techoueyr » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to install Linux 2.1 on a pentium 120 with 64MB RAM and 3 2 Gigs
scsi hard drives.
Before I describe the problem here is the hardware description:

- The scsi controller is a 16-Bit High performance ISA SCSI Controller
(TMC-1650/1660/1670/1680) from Future Domain.
- The hard drives are Quantume_Empire 2100s 2 Gigs hardrive.
- The BIOS is a SCSI ROM BIOS for 18C30/18C50/1800 version 3.6.

First step in installing linux is creating a boot disk with the bootdisk
image. The boot disk image I used is the SCSINET1.GZ. So I booted the computer
with the boot disk and got a "boot:" prompt. I press enter to see if it could
recognize the SCSI controller, but it could not, I got the message "SCSI: 0
hosts". So I used force harware detection and at the "boot:" prompt I entered
the following: ramdisk tmc16xx=0xca00,11. Still, it could not find the SCSI
controller. So I tried the "ramdisk tmc8xx=0xca00,11" and I got the message:
SCSI: TMC-8XX/TMC950
SCSI: 1 host
First problem is how can I get a message saying that is recognizing the SCSI
controller as a TMC 950 if it is a TMC 1650.
But anyway, I tried to create a linux partition using the following:
fdisk /dev/sda
I got a message that it could not open the device.

I would appreciate any help on this problem. How can I make the boot recognize
the SCSI controller and the 3 SCSI hard disks.

Thank You,

Tom Techoueyres

Post by Don Dettk » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I'm trying to install Linux 2.1 on a pentium 120 with 64MB RAM and 3 2 Gigs
>scsi hard drives.
>Before I describe the problem here is the hardware description:
>- The scsi controller is a 16-Bit High performance ISA SCSI Controller
>(TMC-1650/1660/1670/1680) from Future Domain.
>- The hard drives are Quantume_Empire 2100s 2 Gigs hardrive.
>- The BIOS is a SCSI ROM BIOS for 18C30/18C50/1800 version 3.6.
>First step in installing linux is creating a boot disk with the bootdisk
>image. The boot disk image I used is the SCSINET1.GZ. So I booted the computer
>with the boot disk and got a "boot:" prompt. I press enter to see if it could
>recognize the SCSI controller, but it could not, I got the message "SCSI: 0
>hosts". So I used force harware detection and at the "boot:" prompt I entered
>the following: ramdisk tmc16xx=0xca00,11. Still, it could not find the SCSI

Judging from a quick look at the driver, it looks like it scans all valid
addresses for the card, so you shouldn't have to pass parameters to the
kernel.  However, it also looks like the driver (as of kernel 1.1.95)
only supports up to bios version 3.5, so it may not like the signature
it finds with your 3.6 bios.  If you know a little about drivers, you
could possibly patch it to work, fairly easily.  If you value your time
very highly, though, it would probably be more cost effective to just
spend about $100 (or even less) for a PCI host adapter that is supported,
and would give you considerably better performance, anyway.

Quote:>controller. So I tried the "ramdisk tmc8xx=0xca00,11" and I got the message:
>SCSI: TMC-8XX/TMC950
>SCSI: 1 host
>First problem is how can I get a message saying that is recognizing the SCSI
>controller as a TMC 950 if it is a TMC 1650.

That driver may be very forgiving on its scan.

Quote:>But anyway, I tried to create a linux partition using the following:

--
Don Dettke,  Software Engineering Consultant

1. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

Greetings.

 I just purchased Slackware 3.2 on CD-ROM from Walnut Creek. And I
want to install it!

 Unfortunately, my CD-ROM drive is on a PCMCIA SCSI controller (New
Media Toast'n'Jam).  In fact, the hard drive I want to install Linux
to is also on this controller.

 I presume that, in order to pull this off, I will need a special
bootdisk and rootdisk that includes the PCMCIA drivers and the
appropriate commands in rc.local or whatever to utilize them.

 So, does anyone have such a boot/rootdisk combo made up already? If
so, where can I get it?

 I'd really like to install this, so any replies would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!  (Please respond by e-mail if possible.)
--

WWW Home Page: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455| right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.

2. Adding sun4c support to a 2.4 sun4m?

3. Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive

4. No audio on S5

5. WRONG HEADING - should be " Installing SUSE 6.4 on SCSI hard drives from SCSI CD"

6. FreeBSD port for a SparcStation 5 or 20

7. Debian 2.1 won't install; can't see my Initio 9100UW SCSI controller

8. alias: |"filter"|"/usr/lib/sendmail realuser"--Is this safe?

9. Replaced scsi hard drive can no longer find scsi tape drive

10. NCR SCSI-II hard drive controller/Linux

11. Installing Linux with SCSI CD Rom Adaptec AIC-6x60 SCSI Controller

12. recommendation scsi CD-R drive and accompanying scsi controller

13. installing linux with adaptec & scsi cdrom drive & scsi cdr (matshita)