Post by Jeff » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:08:13

I just had RedHat 7.1 - (c4eb 2.0) installed on a fresh second hard
drive.  My main hard drive is running Win 2000.  I'm using a Thinkpad
T20.  During the install, I had to replace my main drive with the
second hard drive, because I had to use the Ultrabay slot for the
install boot disk.  Currently, I'm using the linux drive (second
drive) in the Ultrabay slot, so I don't have to keep swapping the
drives inside the laptop.  This is where my problem occurs.  I try to
boot linux from the Ultrabay slot, but I get the "Kernel panic: VFS:
Unable to mount root fs on 03:01" message.  However, if I take out my
main Win 2000 drive and replace it with the linux drive, the linux
system will boot fine.  I'm extremely green when it comes to linux and
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Post by Davi » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 00:19:50

> I just had RedHat 7.1 - (c4eb 2.0) installed on a fresh second hard
> drive.  My main hard drive is running Win 2000.  I'm using a Thinkpad
> T20.  During the install, I had to replace my main drive with the
> second hard drive, because I had to use the Ultrabay slot for the
> install boot disk.  Currently, I'm using the linux drive (second
> drive) in the Ultrabay slot, so I don't have to keep swapping the
> drives inside the laptop.  This is where my problem occurs.  I try to
> boot linux from the Ultrabay slot, but I get the "Kernel panic: VFS:
> Unable to mount root fs on 03:01" message.  However, if I take out my
> main Win 2000 drive and replace it with the linux drive, the linux
> system will boot fine.  I'm extremely green when it comes to linux and
> any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance!!

Use the installation bootdisk or CD to get the system up so you can
repair it. At the boot prompt enter:

   linux rescue

You may need to tell it where root is if the line above doesn't work.

    linux rescue /dev/hdbX

You should be able to fix it by editing the /etc/fstab file and changing
the /dev/hdaX lines to /dev/hdbX

If you are using LILO? You will also need to edit the /etc/lilo.conf
file to show the device change. Then run "lilo" to update the MBR.

If you are using GRUB I will let someone else explain the changes needed
since I don't use it.

Hope this helps.

Post by Jeff » Thu, 09 May 2002 04:52:10

> > I just had RedHat 7.1 - (c4eb 2.0) installed on a fresh second hard
> > drive.  My main hard drive is running Win 2000.  I'm using a Thinkpad
> > T20.  During the install, I had to replace my main drive with the
> > second hard drive, because I had to use the Ultrabay slot for the
> > install boot disk.  Currently, I'm using the linux drive (second
> > drive) in the Ultrabay slot, so I don't have to keep swapping the
> > drives inside the laptop.  This is where my problem occurs.  I try to
> > boot linux from the Ultrabay slot, but I get the "Kernel panic: VFS:
> > Unable to mount root fs on 03:01" message.  However, if I take out my
> > main Win 2000 drive and replace it with the linux drive, the linux
> > system will boot fine.  I'm extremely green when it comes to linux and
> > any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks in advance!!

> Use the installation bootdisk or CD to get the system up so you can
> repair it. At the boot prompt enter:

>    linux rescue

> You may need to tell it where root is if the line above doesn't work.

>     linux rescue /dev/hdbX

> You should be able to fix it by editing the /etc/fstab file and changing
> the /dev/hdaX lines to /dev/hdbX

> If you are using LILO? You will also need to edit the /etc/lilo.conf
> file to show the device change. Then run "lilo" to update the MBR.

> If you are using GRUB I will let someone else explain the changes needed
> since I don't use it.

> Hope this helps.

Hello and thanks for your response,

I got the linux system up by placing it in the main hard drive slot
and booting the machine.  I edited the fstab and lilo.conf files as
you instructed.  I then went to the "run command" and typed in "lilo"
and hit 'OK'.  After making those changes I shut down the system and
tried once again to boot linux while the hard drive was in the
ultrabay slot instead of the main hard drive slot.  I ended up getting
the same Kernel panic message when the system tried to boot.

Any other suggestions??  Or maybe I didn't run "lilo" correctly??

Thanks

1. Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

This is the message I get when trying to boot Linux now. I recompiled a
new kernel and now it doesn't boot, it stops at this message. I have
compiled the kernel at least 4 times and everytime I get this. I can
boot the old kernel from a floppy. Do I have lilo setup wrong? Someone
told me I may have to do something with rdev and making a patch to the
new kernel with boot partition. I don't know what that means, but it
sounds like something I should try. Someone else told me to do something
with 'mkinitd'. I really need some more details, these vague
suggestions, while they are appreciated, are not really helping me.

Keith

2. Have an old C:\Windows drive. Will WINE work for me?

3. Kernel panic : VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

4. ksh: yesterday's date revisit

5. Kerner panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

6. Remove compile warning from drivers/ac pi/bus.c

7. DOS filesystem: kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount fs on 03:01

8. Need help setting up Apple LocalTalk printer on RS6000

9. Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 0:1:00

10. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs...

11. Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

12. Help: Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs

13. 2.3.99-4-2: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ....