LinuX suX !!!

Post by u.. » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi all !

Beeing sick of things like DOS and Windows, I decided to tabula-rasa my harddisk
and tried to install this Linux-thing (Slackware).
The first problem that appeared was caused by my Adaptec AHA2940 Controller,
which is not supported by this particular version of Linux I bought.
Looking into several Newsgroups and reading some howtos and manpages lead me
to a thing called BOOTDISK, which was said to work with my SCSI-adaptor.
So I FTPed this Bootimage and, indeed, it seemed to properly recognize my
Hardware.

But now there was a second problem: I could only boot my System from this
Bootdisk, but not from Harddisk !
So I asked myself what is the difference between the System on the Bootdisk and
the one on my Harddisk. Another night spent with FAQs, HOWTOs and newsarticles
gave me the answer: THE KERNEL.
Oh dear !   I've got this OS for only three days and what do I need to do ?
Compiling a new Kernel. Ouch !
So I needed another night to work out how to get, install and compile kernel-
sources.
So, as usual, the next problem came up:
My computer hangs as I try to compile the Kernel, or GCC (V2.6.2 I think) breaks
with a strange error-message. (Sorry, I was too frustrated to write it down )
I think I made the right preparations: Installing in /usr/src/linux, creating the
necessary links in /usr/include, make config, make dep, make clean ... and after
ten minutes of compiling ... BOOOOOM !

My question now:

What could I've done wrong, is it the kernel's version (1.3.20) or the wrong
compiler, is there something wrong with my hardware ???
Please help me by giving me some hints HOW to find the problem.

Thanks in advace

*****
jUNiOr

Thank you for reading this mail !
- z a p p  !  -
****************************

LinuX suX !!!

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: What could I've done wrong, is it the kernel's version (1.3.20)

I don't know what went wrong. But it seems unwise to pick
an experimental kernel like 1.3.20 instead of a supposedly
stable one like 1.2.9 or 1.2.13 or so.
(I have had lots of problems with the entire 1.3.16-1.3.23 series,
but so far 1.3.24 has been fine.)

[But if you had a working kernel image, couldn't you just
copy that to disk, and install lilo, say?]

LinuX suX !!!

Post by HoKeiKen Ch » Mon, 11 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Hi all !
>Beeing sick of things like DOS and Windows, I decided to tabula-rasa my harddisk
>and tried to install this Linux-thing (Slackware).
>The first problem that appeared was caused by my Adaptec AHA2940 Controller,
>which is not supported by this particular version of Linux I bought.
>Looking into several Newsgroups and reading some howtos and manpages lead me
>to a thing called BOOTDISK, which was said to work with my SCSI-adaptor.
>So I FTPed this Bootimage and, indeed, it seemed to properly recognize my
>Hardware.
>But now there was a second problem: I could only boot my System from this
>Bootdisk, but not from Harddisk !
>So I asked myself what is the difference between the System on the Bootdisk and
>the one on my Harddisk. Another night spent with FAQs, HOWTOs and newsarticles
>gave me the answer: THE KERNEL.
>Oh dear !   I've got this OS for only three days and what do I need to do ?
>Compiling a new Kernel. Ouch !
>So I needed another night to work out how to get, install and compile kernel-
>sources.
>So, as usual, the next problem came up:
>My computer hangs as I try to compile the Kernel, or GCC (V2.6.2 I think) breaks
>with a strange error-message. (Sorry, I was too frustrated to write it down )
>I think I made the right preparations: Installing in /usr/src/linux, creating the
>necessary links in /usr/include, make config, make dep, make clean ... and after
>ten minutes of compiling ... BOOOOOM !
>My question now:
>What could I've done wrong, is it the kernel's version (1.3.20) or the wrong
>compiler, is there something wrong with my hardware ???
>Please help me by giving me some hints HOW to find the problem.

>Thanks in advace

u just get ur linux  3 days and want handle it well. come on, linux is not easy
as u think, ask ur fan who use linux and understand it well.

please read all the howto that come with linux and understand it. u
would find something that u need to. re run the setup, make sure u boot
the linux, type make config, answer the question, then make dep, make clean
, and make zlilo (boot from floppy)

b4 compile the kernel, make sure u r be the root, it is very important.

ps, i am also new to linux.
i spend three weeks to fixed up scsi card and cdrom, also, i spend
other one weeks to find out how to print ps file to my bj200:<

after u fixed everything , u can feel what the power linux has:)
*   Ken Chow                                                  *

*                                                             *

1. Linux Sux!

I hate linux.  So far I can't install my monitor correctly, it takes
about ten minutes to boot off of my floppy drive, I can't seem to get a
single f**king answer out of anyone on this newsgroup, and quite frankly
. . . this just sux.  Direct all comments to me.

      Sincerely,
         Taylor Street

2. terratec soundcard

3. An example of why Linux Sux.

4. Help with X and Dell Inspiron 3200 w/ NeoMagic 128 XD

5. The ol modem question plzzz help or i will say linux sux =)

6. HELP : Linux on multiprocessor system

7. Why Linux Sux

8. [X-86]

9. Linux sux? ABCNews says it does!

10. Linux Sux

11. Top 10 reasons why Linux sux

12. My dad thinks Linux Sux and he is buying more microsoft stock

13. Linux Sux