gpm: /dev/mouse No such device

Post by Michael Carmod » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I've recently loaded Slackware on my Sharp PC-9050 laptop. When booting I
get the
message "gpm: /dev/mouse No such device". When I check in the /dev
directory I see:
/dev/mouse as a link to /dev/psaux.  X-windows also fails when I use
startx.  It fails with a message like "mouse not found"  Under OS/2 the
mouse shows up as a PS/2 type. I was also able to get the mouse recognized
as a PS/2 type under an old version of Red Hat, but I'd really rather use
the Slackware 96 distribution.  Has anyone else encountered and figured out
the same trouble?

Thanks in advanced for any help!
Michael

gpm: /dev/mouse No such device

--
I get the same messages at the same times.  The things I've tried:
1.  Enabled PS/2 mouse in setup on my Tyan Tomcat III motherboard.

Looking for hints.
Brian

gpm: /dev/mouse No such device

Post by Brian Youn » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

I forgot to mention a very important fact!  My keyboard freezes if I move
the mouse.  I suppose it is possible that the system is* instead,
but it "feels" more like a keyboard lockup.  I also noted the keyboard
lockup comments in psaux.c.

Brian

1. Mouse/X Windows: GPM repeater (gpm -R, /dev/gpmdata) problem

I am attempting to get my 3-button, M$ protocol mouse to work properly
under X. I tried getting the mouse to switch to MouseSystems protocol
by the methods described in the HOWTO to no success (no jumpers
inside, and it ignores left button held on power-up). So, reading
further, I set up gpm as a "repeater" with

gpm -3 -R -t ms

And then modified XF86Config to use /dev/gpmdata with the 3-button
MouseSystems protocol. This works, except I cannot drag the middle
button (button 2.) If I attempt to to this, GPM will send one button-2
click, then a bunch of move messages, then another click when i
release button-2, through gpmdata.

How can I solve this? I could use either:

- A patch to GPM to send the right data
- A patch to X to use the 3-button extension to the MS protocol, like
  GPM does in console mode.

The latter would be preferred. I can't figure out why the feature
hasn't been incorporated into X yet. I'm using:

gpm 1.13
XFree86 3.3.1

--
please read: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
"cry me a bayou/and i'm leaving..." -tricky

2. Port submitted for linux-jdk-1.4.0beta

3. PS/2 gpm /dev/mouse :No such device

4. Best Un*x?

5. help w/ /dev/mouse (/dev/psaux) in X and "cannot find gpm"

6. shutdown problem

7. GPM-1.09 & X ( trying to use GPM as mouse )

8. novell and linux

9. gpm error: invalid argument /dev/mouse

10. GPM can't find /dev/mouse

11. mouse -> /dev/mouse "device or resource busy"

12. gpm can't find /dev/mouse! Help

13. redhat 5.2 gpm error unable to open /dev/mouse