3 small problems. Help appreciated

Post by cwo.. » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have read all of my books, and searched the how-tos, but I can't get
rid of these 3 small nagging problems.

1.  How do I get Redhat Linux to not pause for 2 minutes at loadup of sendmail?

2.  I just installed 2.0.11.  Now on every startup right after it says init runlevel
three, on the next line it says something like:
invalid option SIOCONNRC, then whenever I shutdown something like:
INIT: CANNOT PROCESS REQUEST
flies across the screen and is written for about 20 seconds and then the system
reboots.  So far, I don't see this affecting actual system usage.

3.  How come I can't get any color?  using setterm -fore back gives me color
temporarily, but file names aren't colorized.  I have placed .dir_colors in my $HOME
directory, and that is just a copy of the DIR_COLORS in /etc.  I can't get color
in minicom or anything.  Kinda buggeth me.

4.  Ok, sorry 4.  I just installed Redhat, after killing Slackware.  Slackware had
this neat little quote everytime you logged in.  Any way I can have this for
RedHat?

Thanks a million.  I appreciate your time.  Please note that I have exhausted
my resources in trying to find an answer to these questions, and come here
only as a last resort.  This is only my second Linux week, so maybe I am not
looking in the right places...

Thanks!

Chris Woods

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>1.  How do I get Redhat Linux to not pause for 2 minutes at loadup of sendmail?

Sounds like a name resolution problem to me. Check your name server settings.

Quote:>2.  I just installed 2.0.11.  Now on every startup right after it says init runlevel
>three, on the next line it says something like:
>invalid option SIOCONNRC, then whenever I shutdown something like:
>INIT: CANNOT PROCESS REQUEST
>flies across the screen and is written for about 20 seconds and then the system
>reboots.  So far, I don't see this affecting actual system usage.

Did you read the kernel release notes?  Sounds like something descibed
there.

Quote:>3.  How come I can't get any color?  using setterm -fore back gives me color
>temporarily, but file names aren't colorized.  I have placed .dir_colors in my $HOME
>directory, and that is just a copy of the DIR_COLORS in /etc.  I can't get color
>in minicom or anything.  Kinda buggeth me.

Are you sure you've go a colour version of ls?

Quote:>4.  Ok, sorry 4.  I just installed Redhat, after killing Slackware.  Slackware had
>this neat little quote everytime you logged in.  Any way I can have this for
>RedHat?

This is Linux, you can do what you like.  If you want the fortune
program from Slackware under RedHat then simply install it.

3 small problems. Help appreciated

Post by Mark Levi » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>1.  How do I get Redhat Linux to not pause for 2 minutes at loadup of sendmail?

  Sendmail is probably trying to do a DNS lookup for your host.  Your
probably not connected to a network and the pause is the time it takes the
DNS lookup to time out.  Check that the /etc/host.conf file is set properly.
It should have a line like: order hosts, bind
  This tells the computer to look in /etc/hosts for IP addresses before
trying a DNS server.  Of course, you also need /etc/hosts set up properly.

  Also, you can look at /etc/sendmail.cf for an option to not do DNS
lookups.  It's a complex looking file though...

>2.  I just installed 2.0.11.  Now on every startup right after it says init runl

>three, on the next line it says something like:
>invalid option SIOCONNRC,

  Look in the rc startup scripts.  There's a line like: route add -net
$(IPADDR)

  Instead of $(IPADDR), it should just be 127.0.0.0

 then whenever I shutdown something like:

Quote:>INIT: CANNOT PROCESS REQUEST
>flies across the screen and is written for about 20 seconds and then the system
>reboots.  So far, I don't see this affecting actual system usage.

  Upgrade to a newer version of sysvinit.  See
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes for more info on this.

Quote:

>3.  How come I can't get any color?  using setterm -fore back gives me color
>temporarily, but file names aren't colorized.  I have placed .dir_colors in my $
>X/  P/  Linus
>directory, and that is just a copy of the DIR_COLORS in /etc.  I can't get color
>in minicom or anything.  Kinda buggeth me.

   There's more steps you need to take to get color-ls functional.  I think
redhat has instructions on how to do this so you might want to look around
their site.

Quote:

>this neat little quote everytime you logged in.  Any way I can have this for
>RedHat?

  The program is called "fortune"  If not installed, get and install it.
Then, put a line in your .profile to run it.  Or put it in /etc/profile to
run it for all users...

Quote:

>Thanks a million.  I appreciate your time.  Please note that I have exhausted
>my resources in trying to find an answer to these questions, and come here
>only as a last resort.  This is only my second Linux week, so maybe I am not
>looking in the right places...

  Takes a while to orient yourself.  Once you've talked a few problems,
you'll also get a better sense of where to start looking for solutions.

 Welcome to Linux!

                    Mark E. Levitt
    Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University

         Home Page:  http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint =  B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE  F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

Post by Paul Christenson [N3EOP » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> 4.  Ok, sorry 4.  I just installed Redhat, after killing Slackware.  Slackware had
> this neat little quote everytime you logged in.  Any way I can have this for
> RedHat?

This one I can answer.  Simply call 'fortune' from your login script.

| Technical Support Engineer, Cyclades Corporation  |
| 800/88-CYCLADES (882-9252) or (510)770-9727, x258 |
| Maker of High Performance Multiport Serial Cards  |

1. small PPP problem.. help appreciated!

I'm a somewhat advanced un*x/linux user but a fairly new operator. I've
read the FAQs associated with this but to no avail. Here's the problem:

I'm running Redhat 3.0 (1.3.18) and am setting up a PPP connection. Things
seem to be connecting fine, but when I go to use anything having to do
with the Internet, it's very slow. For instance, it always takes a minute
or two to get a login prompt. Ping times to a local mainframe
(alpha.bgsu.edu) average about 200ms. I've tried several things, such as
setting my serial port at different speeds (9600, 19.2, 38.4, 57.6, etc)
but things seem closer to 110 baud than my 28.8. ;) I've also tried
connecting at different speeds from minicom and running pppd after exiting
and it will once again connect, and at the same speed. I have a Hayes 28.8
PnP modem which I use Intel Config Manager to set up. I know the modem
connects at the correct speed because I'm typing through it now in
minicom at full speed. Here's a clip from the ppp log file..

[/var/adm/messages]
Sep 30 15:24:12 darkstar chat[137]: Xyplex -- got it
Sep 30 15:24:12 darkstar chat[137]: send (set port ppp enable^M)
Sep 30 15:24:13 darkstar pppd[138]: pppd 2.1.2 started by root, uid 0
Sep 30 15:24:13 darkstar pppd[138]: set kernel debugging level to 0
Sep 30 15:24:13 darkstar pppd[138]: Using interface ppp0
Sep 30 15:24:13 darkstar pppd[138]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
Sep 30 15:24:13 darkstar kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 mtu = 1500, mru = 1500
Sep 30 15:24:13 darkstar kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 open
Sep 30 15:24:16 darkstar pppd[138]: local  IP address 129.1.215.3
Sep 30 15:24:16 darkstar pppd[138]: remote IP address 129.1.2.165

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be indebted for life to you! :-) Thanks..
--
                                                          \\\\

[]/-------------------------------\[]/----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo-----\[]
[]         Josh Woodward           []      Pablo? Pablo, honey?          []

[]   http://www.bgsu.edu/~joshw    []            We miss you.            []
[]   UCS Help Center Consultant    []           Pablo?                   []
[]\-------------------------------/[]\----------------------------------/[]

2. SCSI CD-ROM

3. Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

4. Problems with Exporting Display

5. Samba - XP problem - appreciate the help!

6. ex prob under OS5

7. Odd problem with vi, would appreciate help

8. Help!!! - Mounting and Unmounting Partitions

9. inet_aton() function problems Any help appreciated!

10. .cw/.cf config problem with local & internet hostname - help appreciated

11. Linux Crash & Partition Problem: Help Appreciated

12. Help, Memory Leak Problem, Suggestions appreciated.

13. Weird segmentation violation problem -- help appreciated!!