Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have finally managed to kludge my way through setting up and
mounting partitions for Red Hat Linux. Then I began the installation,
which came up with a pile of errors before aborting. Any suggestions
on how to overcome these error results, will be greatly appreciated.
Here they are:

--begin list of errors

RPM install of Idconfig failed: read failed. Input/output error (5)

RPM install of libtermcap failed: read failed: Input/output error (5)

RPM install of glibc failed: execution of script failed.

RPM install of bash failed: execution of script failed.

RPM install  of aout-libs failed: execution of script failed.

RPM install of slang failed: execution of script failed.

error - reading header:

   Input/output error install exited abonrmally

           sending termination signals...  done sending kill
signals...

    done unmounting filesystems...Hmp/rhimage/mut/home/wnt/usr
/proc /mnt/

you may safely reboot your system.

--end list of errors

I may have some typos there...as I had to handwrite everything down,
that was on the screen. So I'd also like to know if there is a way to
either print out screen text, or capture to a file. Seems that DOS
capture programs or the PrintScreen are not operable in the Linux
installation.

My system is a DOS 7.0 PC with 120MHz Pentium, 96MB RAM. I am trying
to install Linux on my Master Hard Drive.

Here is my present Master Hard Drive map (in a system with three hard
drives):

C:  303 MB...DOS

/root      =     120 MB

F:  350 MB...DOS
G: 350 MB...DOS

/swap    =       96 MB
/usr        =     304 MB
/home    =  1,012 MB

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Martin Bertolin » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have had the same problems installing, (on different files though). Could
it be that the CD-Roms are in bad shape?
Any ideas anybody?

Martin Bertolino

>I have finally managed to kludge my way through setting up and
>mounting partitions for Red Hat Linux. Then I began the installation,

.
.
.
>C:  303 MB...DOS

>My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
>http://www.veryComputer.com/

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:05:03 -0500, "Martin Bertolino"

>I have had the same problems installing, (on different files though). Could
>it be that the CD-Roms are in bad shape?
>Any ideas anybody?

And--worse yet--I cannot find any documentation covering these errors!
And this is the Red Hat 5.0 CD-ROM installation I'm talking about,
which contains a plethora of How-to docs, faq files, and the Rhmanual
in HTML format.

Another issue: when going through the install process, I am asked to
select among packages in a long list...how am I supposed to know what
I want to install, when I'm just a newbie? Why isn't there an option
to pop up an explanation of each package? Or (if not such an option),
why isn't there documentation on the CD-ROM, that describes each
package?

I also pored through more than 20 Linux books in my local bookstore
..and not one of them gave a list of installation errors, or a list
of descriptions for all the possible packages to install.

I feel just like I'm back with M$ Windoze and all its screwy behavior,
cryptic error messages, and bugs...exactly what I want to get away
from!

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Perry Gri » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that every-
one's problems are different.  I have seen an install failure
where, after long hours, my best guess is that the triton IDE
controller was broken on the motherboard.  A new motherboard,
CPU and RAM was obtained and the problem went away.

On this motherboard, win3.1 installed fine, linux would not.
We did <left alt><F2> thru <left alt><F whatever> during the
install and did not see what I would call good descriptive
error messages.

If the CD can be read on another machine running linux,
it's probably ok.  If you can try a different cdrom drive
on the same machine, that may be interesting.  You didn't
say if you have a SCSI or IDE cdrom drive.  If it's IDE,
you didn't say if it was on the primary or secondary IDE
controller or if it is jumpered as a master or slave.  Not
that this information will solve the problem, but it may
help some (or not).

One thing I will emphasize again, even if the machine runs
MS operating systems, it does not always mean you have good
hardware.

Perry Grieb

PS:  Are you sure that linux mounted the cdrom even?  An
<left alt><F something (2 thru 4 or 5) > should give you
a command prompt where you can look around some.  If you
can find a "df" command somewhere, try to use it.  It may
be mounted in one of the paths you've documented below
under the "done unmounting filesystems" item, in which
case you can just use "ls" and "cd" to see if it looks
like it's mounted.

--
Perry Grieb

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by guyve » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Another issue: when going through the install process, I am asked to
>select among packages in a long list...how am I supposed to know what
>I want to install, when I'm just a newbie? Why isn't there an option
>to pop up an explanation of each package? Or (if not such an option),
>why isn't there documentation on the CD-ROM, that describes each
>package?

C'mon, pal, F1 is the answer to everything. :)  I stumbled upon that one by
force of habit during installation.  Just highlight the packet & press F1.

-Guy

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that every-
>one's problems are different.  I have seen an install failure
>where, after long hours, my best guess is that the triton IDE
>controller was broken on the motherboard.  A new motherboard,
>CPU and RAM was obtained and the problem went away.

Doh! In other words: a new system cleared up the problems.

Sounds terribly dramatic, to me! Were my IDE controller "broken" I
hardly think neither DOS nor Windoze would run properly, if at all.
Furthermore, what's the point of buying new CPU and RAM, on top of a
new mobo? And the most obvious question: Does this customer, friend or
associate, for whom you obliged to shell out big bucks for Linux
compatibility, still talk to you?

Quote:>On this motherboard, win3.1 installed fine, linux would not.
>We did <left alt><F2> thru <left alt><F whatever> during the
>install and did not see what I would call good descriptive
>error messages.

Well, I don't think you're supposed to get any descriptions of error
messages in any of those windows...at least, not for the installation
routine. The errors came during installation, in the same window as
the install. But I'm just a newbie: what do I know? (Then again, with
your suggestion to replace entire RAM and CPU along with motherboard,
makes me wonder what *you really know!)

However, the installation statements on screen ALT-F3 and ALT-F4
indicated that all was in order. For the CD-ROM, it stated:

     sbpcd-0 [04]: Drive 0 (ID=0): CR-526 (5.00) at 0x230 (type 1)

Quote:>If the CD can be read on another machine running linux,
>it's probably ok.  If you can try a different cdrom drive
>on the same machine, that may be interesting.

I don't have a situation where I can try another CD. However, since
Linux was successfully performing the installation of the majority of
packages before aborting...I'd say recognition of the CD-ROM was not a
problem. When I presented my list of error readouts, that did not mean
*all the packages could not be set up...in fact, over 50% of them went
along without a hitch.

Quote:>You didn't
>say if you have a SCSI or IDE cdrom drive.  If it's IDE,
>you didn't say if it was on the primary or secondary IDE
>controller or if it is jumpered as a master or slave.  Not
>that this information will solve the problem, but it may
>help some (or not).

I have neither type. My CD is a proprietary sound blaster, which is
recognized by Linux...even with "autoprobe".

Quote:>One thing I will emphasize again, even if the machine runs
>MS operating systems, it does not always mean you have good
>hardware.

I see. So Linux only wants the very best! I don't know if Linux
incompatibility is a sign of bad hardware...but perhaps a sign of just
that: incompatibility. My system is very PC-generic...and I have read
the Linux docs regarding this issue. All my components are most likely
agreeable to Linux. The only exception might be my Logitech Page
Scanner. The chipset, video card, Intel CPU, EDO RAM, sound card,
monitor, etc., all are supposed to be recognizable by Linux. I'm sure
this is some excellent hardware, with which Linux can't work.

One of my goals for switching to Linux (in addtion to boycotting M$),
is to cut back on my computer expenses. If, as you imply, Linux can be
a pricey proposition, well then: the little * will just have to
find some other system to mooch off of--not mine!

Quote:>PS:  Are you sure that linux mounted the cdrom even?  An
><left alt><F something (2 thru 4 or 5) > should give you
>a command prompt where you can look around some.  If you
>can find a "df" command somewhere, try to use it.  It may
>be mounted in one of the paths you've documented below
>under the "done unmounting filesystems" item, in which
>case you can just use "ls" and "cd" to see if it looks
>like it's mounted.

Alt-F2 put me into the bash# shell. Then I ran "df" to get the
following ("Filesystem" is abbreviated here to "Filesys"):

Filesys   1024-blocks   Used    Available   Capacity   Mounted on

/dev/root         1738             1070    578             65%      /
/tmp/sbpcd  653372      653372         0          100%    /tmp/rhimage

I assume this means that "rhimage" is temporarily mounted to RAM...and
this image is from the CD-ROM, as designated by the device name
"sbpcd" for my Soundblaster CD-ROM.

But I *still don't know what those error messages mean...and it sure
would be nice to find this out, as it may help me troubleshoot.
Troubleshoot? Really...here I am just trying to do this "ezstart"
(coff, coff, hak) installation, and I'm already having to
troubleshoot, instead.

I have since attempted another install...which likewise aborted, after
a pile of error statements...even though the majority of packages (the
ones before Linux aborted) went through without a problem. Here is the
error list, of my most recent installation attempt:

---begin list of errors

RMP install of libtermcap failed: read failed: Input/output
   error (5)
RMP install of glibe failed execution of script failed
RMP install of bash failed execution of script failed
RMP install of aout-libs failed execution of script failed
RMP install of ash failed execution of script failed
RMP install of slang failed execution of script failed
RMP install of newt failed: unpacking of archive failed on
   file /usr/bin whiptail: -1: Input/output error
RMP install of at failed execution of script failed
RMP install of zlib failed execution of script failed
RMP install of ncurses failed execution of script failed
RMP install of bc failed execution of script failed
RMP install of binutils failed execution of script failed
RMP install of dev failed execution of script failed
RMP install of diffutils failed execution of script failed
RMP install of e2fsprogs failed execution of script failed
RMP install of ed failed execution of script failed
RMP install of emacs failed execution of script failed
RMP install of expect failed execution of script failed
RMP install of faq failed execution of script failed
RMP install of findutils failed execution of script failed
RMP install of gdbm failed execution of script failed
RMP install of gimp-libgimp failed execution of script failed
RMP install of git failed execution of script failed
RMP install of gtk failed execution of script failed
RMP install of gzip failed execution of script failed
RMP install of ImageMagick failed execution of script failed
RMP install of initscripts failed execution of script failed
RMP install of kbd failed execution of script failed
RMP install of kernel failed execution of script failed
RMP install of kernel-modules failed: unpacking of archive
   failed on file /lib/modules/20.32/net/3c509.o: -1:
   Input/output error
RMP install of kernelcfg failed: read failed: Input/output
   error (5)

error - reading header:

   Input/output error install exited abonrmally

           sending termination signals...  done sending kill
           signals...

    done unmounting filesystems...Hmp/rhimage/mut/home/wnt/usr
    /proc /mnt/

you may safely reboot your system.

--end list of errors

Perhaps--like the prodigal son--I should return to the all-embracing
bosom of Windoze95!  What a concept! With all these zany installation
errors, just during an installation...well, this does give one pause
to reconsider. Are you sure Bill Gates hasn't put a bug into
Linux...or that Red Hat 5.0 has a M$ spy in its office?

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>C'mon, pal, F1 is the answer to everything. :)

Yeah, right. And a bear doesn't dump in the woods. Do you perhaps have
a bridge you would like to sell?

Quote:>I stumbled upon that one by
>force of habit during installation.  Just highlight the packet & press F1.

It certainly occurred to me right from the bat, to try F1, to get some
help. There is no help. The Red Hat "ezstart.bat" installation has no
pop-up help menu, anywhere. Pray tell, what wondrous version of Linux
install did you run, to grant you this incredible help option?

I would greatly appreciate it, if you could do a partial run of the
install module of your Linux, and save from screen, the F1 help
description for each of the main packages. (I do not ask for the
numerous sub-modules, just the main ones. For Red Hat 5.0, there are
35 packages, not including #36, which is the "install everything"
option.) Then you can easily paste the readouts to a message for this
thread.  Thanks in advance!

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>One thing I will emphasize again, even if the machine runs
>MS operating systems, it does not always mean you have good
>hardware.

I find the following letter to editor an interesting comment on your
implication that primo Linux will only work on the best hardware:

---begin letter to editor

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 06:28:49 -0400
Subject: Linux: the good, the bad, the ugly

TalkBack about AnchorDesk Story:
Fired for Choosing Linux?
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Talkback Headline: Linux: the good, the bad, the ugly

TalkBack Author: Jacob Walter

TalkBack Posted on: Monday Feb 16, 1998

TalkBack Comments:
Thanks, Jesse.  That was one of the most objective stories
a person could find on Linux.  That being said, you missed
a couple of things:

The good:

There is technical support for many distributions of Linux
(Red Hat comes to mind).  This support is only for the
short term, but it works for the most 'dangerous' part
of owning a Linux workstation: installing.  Once you get
past this part, you have to try to get a Linux box to
crash.

Linux works very well on old machines.  Just plug in a
little more memory, and those 486s sitting on your desk
can do some productive work again.

The bad:

There is alot of hardware that does not work with Linux.
Making sure that your machines will work with is one
of the biggest (and possibly most expensive) challenges
you'll face.

...And the ugly:

One thing you will never hear from Linux advocates is
the lack of decent software, outside of development languages.
Try finding an application to do you special task.  Under
WinNT, you'll probably find it with a large price tag.
Under Linux, IF you find it odds are that the phrase
'Beta' will be attached.  I should say that there are
exceptions to this.

Linux really could compete with WinNT, if the community
got their act together and stopped acting like a bunch
of hackers trying to outdo eachother.  Until that time,
expect most compaines to choose WinNT.

---end letter to editor

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Hannu Hirve » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

says...

>PS:  Are you sure that linux mounted the cdrom even?  An
><left alt><F something (2 thru 4 or 5) > should give you
>a command prompt where you can look around some.  If you
>can find a "df" command somewhere, try to use it.  It may
>be mounted in one of the paths you've documented below
>under the "done unmounting filesystems" item, in which
>case you can just use "ls" and "cd" to see if it looks
>like it's mounted.

>> RPM install of Idconfig failed: read failed. Input/output error (5)
>> RPM install of libtermcap failed: read failed: Input/output error (5)
>> RPM install of glibc failed: execution of script failed.
>> RPM install of bash failed: execution of script failed.
>> RPM install  of aout-libs failed: execution of script failed.
>> RPM install of slang failed: execution of script failed.

I had also error messages such as

"RPM install of lilo failed:execution of script failed."

Hardware: 1 Gb SCSI (AHA1542) + cdrom IDE
I reported more of these diffuculties 21.4.1998 in this news-group
by title "problems with Red Hat 5.o installation".

I'am pretty sure that linux mounted the cdrom in a right way
because most of the RH-packages were installed successfully.
Only a few packages (including for example lilo) weren't installed.

I tried to copy all the RH-packages to a dos-partition and to
install from hard disk. BUT: three of the packages has a filename
that contains the character '+'. And dos 6.22 cannot copy these
files from cdrom to hard disk (cannot read the file because of the
curious filename). Is there a way I can copy all the RH-files from
cdrom to hard disk (a dos-partition)?

I suppose I could use a linux-partition instead of dos-partition.
But in this case, I have to create a linux-partition (to be used in
linux installation) and copy the RH-packages from cdrom to that partition
before I have installed linux. How can I do this?

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I had also error messages such as

>"RPM install of lilo failed:execution of script failed."

>Hardware: 1 Gb SCSI (AHA1542) + cdrom IDE
>I reported more of these diffuculties 21.4.1998 in this news-group
>by title "problems with Red Hat 5.o installation".

I have just read that message, too. You are installing on an old 25MHz
386, 8MB RAM!

Quote:>I'am pretty sure that linux mounted the cdrom in a right way
>because most of the RH-packages were installed successfully.

Yes, I think the problem has naught to do with the CD-ROM. This is why
I am not impressed with a responder's suggestion to start ripping out
the hardware, and replacing the motherboard, and possibly the RAM and
CPU as well! I am accustomed to hearing Windoze95 elitists speak this
way...but I am afraid the Unix style elitism is part of the Linux
community, too. The moment someone has a problem, they're supposed to
shell out big bucks for new hardware.

My many-years' experience with installing all versions of DOS,
Windoze, and even OS/2 a few times...gives me the impression that the
Linux installation has an error in it...perhaps an error in pressing
the package on the CD-ROM...in other words: they may have churned out
a bad batch of the latest version of Linux. Even if my hunch is wrong,
I strongly disagree that this particular installation error has
anything to do with incompatible hardware.

Quote:>I tried to copy all the RH-packages to a dos-partition and to
>install from hard disk. BUT: three of the packages has a filename
>that contains the character '+'. And dos 6.22 cannot copy these
>files from cdrom to hard disk (cannot read the file because of the
>curious filename). Is there a way I can copy all the RH-files from
>cdrom to hard disk (a dos-partition)?

Wow! I didn't realize the Linux installation uses files that break the
DOS restriction of 8.3 filenames! That's stupid. Seeing as the Linux
community knows that many, many newbies will be installing from DOS!
(Maybe even the majority.) The only version of DOS that recognizes
LFNs, is the one built into Windoze95...and is called DOS 7.0.

After reading your message, I thought perhaps the Linux ftp site
(ftp.linux.com), would have an installation package in consideration
of the DOS 8.3 limit...but I found the same, long filenames, including
those with "+"'s; as I did on the CD-ROM. So I then checked out the
previous version of Linux, 4.2--hoping that this version used only 8.3
filenames, so you could first install this version, then upgrade to
5.0--but found that 4.2 also uses long filenames in the installtion
package.

This implies that Linux creators think all who switch from DOS
systems, have Windoze95 installed first...which I think is not only
screwy thinking, but somewhat offensive. Since the Linux community
would love to have more converts from Microsoft OS users...it can only
work against them, to make it so difficult for those with DOS systems,
to make the changeover to Linux. DOS users are practically *coerced*
to install Windoze95, just so they can copy the long filenames over to
a hard drive!

And this is the only solution I can come up for now, at this moment,
Hannu...to install Windoze95, then use Explorer (file manager) to copy
the installation package to your hard drive. When Linux has been
(hopefully) installed, you may then remove Windoze from your system.
So make sure you *keep* your DOS 6.22 system files on the drive...do
not let Windoze delete them during its install. If you can, install
Windoze to a separate hard drive, if at all possible...just to keep
things simple. Otherwise, install it on an empty partition.

There is possibly some utility for DOS, that allows you to move long
filenames without truncating them...but offhand, I don't know of one.
I only know of a DOS utility called DIR95 that lets you view the full
filename of LFNs.

(Half hour later:) I just did a search of "LFN" on the OAK Software
Repository at

     http://www.veryComputer.com/

and came up with "doslfn22.zip ", which claims to backup and restore
LFNs, all in DOS. I have just uploaded you a copy of this utility, in
hopes that it will allow you to create an installation setup on your
hard drive. I do not have the time to check it out myself...but I did
try a back up, and it works...however, I did not try to restore.

I also uploaded to you, "dir95.zip", which allows you to view LFNs in
DOS. So when you do a test run of DOSLFN22, you can see if the file
name has remained intact, by viewing it with DIR95.

Quote:>I suppose I could use a linux-partition instead of dos-partition.
>But in this case, I have to create a linux-partition (to be used in
>linux installation) and copy the RH-packages from cdrom to that partition
>before I have installed linux. How can I do this?

I am such a Linux newbie, I can only guess. You know, you can access
the Linux shell once the Installation menu is up...just by selecting
ALT-F2, you will be put in the bash# shell. You will have a very
limited number of commands, as this mini Linux OS is all in RAM.
Perhaps from this shell, you will have a copy command, to perform this
task. Though you may first have to mount the drive or partition...I
don't really know, I'm too new to advise you much on this. All I want
these days, is to be able to install my Linux by 1999! (This has
nothing to do with Nostradamus, but it may as well.)    ;-)

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Red Hat Installation Errors

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

This is just to inform anyone that is curious: I can now install Red
Hat Linux 5.0 onto my system. The real problem was a bad CD, which I
had purchased from CheapBytes Online, at:

        http://www.veryComputer.com/

I ordered the "CheapBytes Linux Power Pack - 6 CDs in set", for $9.99
+ $5.50 mailing costs. Here's their description of the Power Pack:

        We offer an excellent price on the 6 CD-ROM Linux collection.

        You not only get 3 of the most popular Linux distributions,
        you also get over 1.8 gigabytes of Linux archives. Included in

        this 6 CD-ROM set you will find:

        CheapBytes Red Hat 5.0 CD-ROM
        CheapBytes Slackware 3.4 CD-ROM
        CheapBytes Debian 1.3.1 R6 CD-ROM
        CheapBytes 3 CD-ROM Archive Set

When I emailed them my problem, they were very prompt, and offered to
send me another complete power pack, free of charge. So I'll still do
business with them.  According to them, it is very rare to receive any
damaged CDs as I have, and most likely the damage was from extreme
heat in transit, as their are no obvious mars on the CDs' surfaces
themselves.

I'd say CheapBytes is very reputable, and recommend their business to
any Linux user.

---