Default printer change in Redhat 6.0

Post by Jess Jackso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am running Rehad Linux 6.0. I have it on a Gateway 486-66 that ultimately
I want to make a network file server. I have an old Okidata 400e (LJ-IIP
compatible) attached locally on LPT1:. I have a SAMBA network connection to
a Win98SE box with a LJ-6MP attached (Share name "LJ6"). I can print just
fine to the local LJ-IIP printer and can print to the network LJ-6MP via
"printtool" and also print to the LJ-6MP via an explicit "-P lp0."

But I want to make the LJ6 (lp0) my default printer. According to printtool,
all I had to do was reverse the order in the "printcap" file (shown below).
I did that (as you can see), but when I try to print from the KDE text
editor, the output still goes to "lp."

I am new to Linux, so forgive my ignorance but is there any simple way to
change the "default" printer. It makes sense that the default might be to
local over network, but in this case I want the net printer as default.

Thanks for any help here.
Jess
_______________________

... comments ...
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## SMB POSTSCRIPT 600x600 letter {} PostScript Default 1
lp0:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\
 :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/acct:\
 :lp=/dev/null:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet2p 300x300 letter {} LaserJet2p Default {}
lp:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/lp0:\
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Post by Peter T. Breu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I am new to Linux, so forgive my ignorance but is there any simple way to
: change the "default" printer. It makes sense that the default might be to

setenv PRINTER whatever

(or the equiv in bash).

: local over network, but in this case I want the net printer as default.

Then just add the name "lp" to its listing in your lpr config file. And
remove it from elsewhere, of course.

Peter

1. Default printer change in Redhat 6.0

[...]

2. sendmail - virtual host

3. changing the default printer for my login so i can use printer local on X-terminal

4. problem on "make modules" & modules_install

5. Changing Default Color Depth w/ RH 6.0

6. Syskonnect FDDI driver in linux with > 1GB RAM

7. GS defaults to low res printer font - how to change?

8. Grammer Checker.

9. Ref SCO OSR5, how to a change the default printer?

10. Help: How to change CUPS default printer resolution?

11. Using the HP 722C DeskJet Printer in Redhat 6.0