Can't boot Win98 after installing Linux Red Hat 5.2

Can't boot Win98 after installing Linux Red Hat 5.2

Post by Kevin Carls » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm a "newbie" who just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on my Windows 98
machine.  There are two separate hard drives, with Windows on hda1 and
Linux on hdb1.  Disk druid shows that I didn't accidentally install
Linux over Windows - they are both on separate drives as intended.
However, LILO only shows linux and rescue as boot options.
How can I boot Win 98?

I then removed LILO from hda1 using/sbin/lilo -u.
Now, when I start the machine without a  boot diskette, Windows tries
to start but can't find the command interpreter.  I need to make the
C: drive bootable again.  HELP!!!

Thanks,
Kevin

Can't boot Win98 after installing Linux Red Hat 5.2

Post by Eggert.Eh.. » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm a "newbie" who just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on my Windows 98
>machine.  There are two separate hard drives, with Windows on hda1 and
>Linux on hdb1.  Disk druid shows that I didn't accidentally install
>Linux over Windows - they are both on separate drives as intended.
>However, LILO only shows linux and rescue as boot options.
>How can I boot Win 98?

>I then removed LILO from hda1 using/sbin/lilo -u.
>Now, when I start the machine without a  boot diskette, Windows tries
>to start but can't find the command interpreter.  I need to make the
>C: drive bootable again.  HELP!!!

Have you tried
fdisk /mbr
from a DOS boot diskette ? It restores the boot sector for DOS/Win. After that,
you can reinstall LILO and make it load both OSs. Read the LILO man pages ! In
the meantime, use Loadlin to boot Linux from your Windows site.

Answers please in this newsgroup!

Can't boot Win98 after installing Linux Red Hat 5.2

Post by Kevin Carls » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your reply, I also tried fdisk /mbr, but it didn't seem to
have any effect.  I should mention that I used the "Workstation"
install, not Server, so C: should not have been affected.

I'm planning to use a software product called "Hard Drive Mechanic" to
restore Win 98.

Irony Of The Day:  The drive repair software costs more than the Red
Hat installation disks ... sigh ...

Any further thoughts appreciated ...

Thanks,
Kevin

>>I'm a "newbie" who just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on my Windows 98
>>machine.  There are two separate hard drives, with Windows on hda1 and
>>Linux on hdb1.  Disk druid shows that I didn't accidentally install
>>Linux over Windows - they are both on separate drives as intended.
>>However, LILO only shows linux and rescue as boot options.
>>How can I boot Win 98?

>>I then removed LILO from hda1 using/sbin/lilo -u.
>>Now, when I start the machine without a  boot diskette, Windows tries
>>to start but can't find the command interpreter.  I need to make the
>>C: drive bootable again.  HELP!!!

>Have you tried
>fdisk /mbr
>from a DOS boot diskette ? It restores the boot sector for DOS/Win. After that,
>you can reinstall LILO and make it load both OSs. Read the LILO man pages ! In
>the meantime, use Loadlin to boot Linux from your Windows site.

>Answers please in this newsgroup!

Can't boot Win98 after installing Linux Red Hat 5.2

Post by Kevin Carls » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

EUREKA!  I didn't lose all my Win 98 stuff after all!   (Mixed
blessing? <grin>)  Apparently the C: drive partition table was damaged
sometime during the Linux installation (on the _D_ drive) , don't ask
me how ...

Anyway, thanks go to "Hard Drive Mechanic" for restoring my system.
If you have the same problem, their web site is at
www.encoresoftware.com

Best wishes!
Kevin

Post by Jeff Mikaelia » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

> EUREKA!  I didn't lose all my Win 98 stuff after all!   (Mixed
> blessing? <grin>)  Apparently the C: drive partition table was damaged
> sometime during the Linux installation (on the _D_ drive) , don't ask
> me how ...

> Anyway, thanks go to "Hard Drive Mechanic" for restoring my system.
> If you have the same problem, their web site is at
> www.encoresoftware.com

> Best wishes!
> Kevin

> >>I'm a "newbie" who just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on my Windows 98
> >>machine.  There are two separate hard drives, with Windows on hda1 and
> >>Linux on hdb1.  Disk druid shows that I didn't accidentally install
> >>Linux over Windows - they are both on separate drives as intended.
> >>However, LILO only shows linux and rescue as boot options.
> >>How can I boot Win 98?

> >>I then removed LILO from hda1 using/sbin/lilo -u.
> >>Now, when I start the machine without a  boot diskette, Windows tries
> >>to start but can't find the command interpreter.  I need to make the
> >>C: drive bootable again.  HELP!!!

> >Have you tried
> >fdisk /mbr
> >from a DOS boot diskette ? It restores the boot sector for DOS/Win. After that,
> >you can reinstall LILO and make it load both OSs. Read the LILO man pages ! In
> >the meantime, use Loadlin to boot Linux from your Windows site.

> >-----------------------------------------------------
> >Answers please in this newsgroup!

> >-----------------------------------------------------

  RedHat v6.0 just blew out my harddrive exactly how it was mentioned above. Im now

buying harddrive mechanice in a frenzy because this is a company machine I just
hosed!
$62.95 for the software including overnight delivery!! :( I think theres a problem
in the software
when its loading.... I did a lilo -C lilo.conf and thats the last time I saw my c:
drive!

1. Can't install Red Hat 5.2 on a Win98 PC

Hello

First I have to apologize. I have no experience at all with Linux, but I'm
more or less an expert in all Dos stuff.
I have a PII 333MHz PC with a 10 GB harddrive with a 8GB partition for Win98
(boot partition). When I try to create a native Linux partion on this
remaining 2GB I get the error message in Disk Druid, that the boot drive is
too large although I can create a 127MB swap partition.
What is wrong ? Are 8GB too much for the Win98 stuff.

Thanks

Rainer

2. jobs newsgroup?

3. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

4. Backspace does not work in X

5. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

6. IP dynamic

7. What HOWTO helps me to install NT and Red-Hat 5.2 on a Win98 system

8. How to evaluate value of shell variable inside awk/sed?

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Hard Drive install for Red Hat 5.2 won't WORK!!!

11. Red Hat 5.2 and win98 problems

12. Red Hat 5.2 <-> Win98 Peer-to-Peer

13. Window NT 4 & Red Hat Linux 5.2 & Boot Magic