Linux Install/LILO Problem

Post by Peter Lindstr? » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have purchased a Red Hat box set 4.0 linux package.

The installation completes fine but when the computer reboots, the lilo
boot prompt do not come up correctly. It only writes LI and then the
computer hangs.

My Hardware is a HP vectra XU 6/150 with a 2110 Mega byte SCSI fireball
HD.
The SCSI controller is a adapatec onboard aic7880p. My HD has ID 0.

I choose the 2940 adaptec controller when I installed as they should be
compatible.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks Peter

--

************************
* Peter Lindstr?m      *

************************

Linux Install/LILO Problem

Post by Pieter Rijke » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

> I have purchased a Red Hat box set 4.0 linux package.

> The installation completes fine but when the computer reboots, the lilo
> boot prompt do not come up correctly. It only writes LI and then the
> computer hangs.

Did you run '/sbin/lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf'?
<chomp>

--
Pieter J. Rijken
Instituut Lorentz, University of Leiden

Linux Install/LILO Problem

Post by Troels Arv » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello Peter Lindstr?m,

Quote:>The installation completes fine but when the computer reboots, the lilo
>boot prompt do not come up correctly. It only writes LI and then the
>computer hangs.

>My Hardware is a HP vectra XU 6/150 with a 2110 Mega byte SCSI fireball
>HD.
>The SCSI controller is a adapatec onboard aic7880p. My HD has ID 0.

>I choose the 2940 adaptec controller when I installed as they should be
>compatible.

Have you read the information at the URL
"http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl-intel/rh40-errata-intel.html#I...
fails with some SCSI adaptors"?

Hilsen fra
Troels Arvin, N?rrebro

http://www.mdb.ku.dk/tarvin/

Linux Install/LILO Problem

Post by Kevin Bour » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I don't think it is a SCSI problem because I have EIDE and I am having
the same problems.  I have a 486x33 Intel.  If you find the problem,
please let me know.

 _  __      _   _  __ _____   __   _      Kevin Bourg
| |/_ \   /   \| |/ _|_   _|/    \| |     Nortel
| |  | |_|  o  |  /    | |  | -- /| |_    Richardson Test Tools

Linux Install/LILO Problem

Post by Coli » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I have purchased a Red Hat box set 4.0 linux package.

>The installation completes fine but when the computer reboots, the lilo
>boot prompt do not come up correctly. It only writes LI and then the
>computer hangs.

I had the same problem when I installed Slackware for the first time (however,
I have an EIDE drive) so what I had to do to get LILO to work is to switch the
drive mode from LBA to NORMAL and set the boot partition so that it was
entirely in the first 1024 cylinders of the hard drive.

1. Linux LILO Problems and How to install NT after installing 95 and SUSE

Hello all,

I got some problems with lilo. It stops booting after 'L'
(I am using the 3rd partition named hda6 for linux and the 1st for 95)

I use the following lilo.conf

-- # LILO Konfigurations-Datei
# Start LILO global Section
append="onlycd=none"
boot=/dev/hda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
linear
read-only
prompt
timeout=1000
vga = normal    # force sane state
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/hda6
label = linux
# Linux bootable partition config ends
#
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda1
label = dos
table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends
#

that I copied from a working system.

What's wrong? I installed it with /sbin/lilo

The 2nd: How can I install NT after 95 and Linux without having to
install the other stuff again? Any possibilities?

I am quite new in the Linux business...so every help is appreciated.

thanX in advance

        Lothar

                voice: 0049/(0)9401/9200-20
                web  : www.genias.de

2. All kinds of greif with modules

3. Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

4. dualboot

5. End of Linux Install (LILO Install)

6. Internal Zip 5.2 and 2.2.1

7. Can I install LILO AFTER installing Linux?

8. ipfwadm & masquerade

9. LILO problem newbie Install ok but doesn't load LINUX

10. Problem installing Linux: LILO does not boot from floppy

11. Problems with installing two Linux's - 'setup' and 'lilo'

12. How to Uninstall LILO -o How to boot DOS once LILO is installed?

13. Q: diff btwn "LILO: linux single" and "LILO: linux 1" ?