Linux and large IDE drives on a standard ide system

Linux and large IDE drives on a standard ide system

Post by Dass Rami Patri » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a Western Digital 540 mb hard drive, and a standard IDE card.  My
bios recognizes 1048 cylinders, but I have a standard IDE card, I'm
planning to use the whole hard drive for linux, since I have another one
for DOS, are there ways to use all the cylinders, because when I was
playing with the partition under dos, all it gave me was 500 mb, I would
appreciate the help

rami dass

1. Large IDE hard drive & "Big IDEs" HOWTO

(Lifted from my nephew who is presently denied access to News Groups:)

Subject: Large IDE hard drives.

 Help!

 I am unable to access my large IDE drive.  Yes, I have read the "big-ide"
 help document (which did contain useful information).

 I have just installed the Slackware 3.0.0 (ELF) from the 5 CD-ROM set.

 I have 1.2GB(hda) and 200MB(hdb) IDE drives on my system.  I have installed
 Linux on hdb (200MB), dedicating the drive to a ext2 file system and a swap
 partition.

 I have an fairly old system, so I have to use EZ drive software to access
 my large IDE drive under DOS/Windows 95.  I believe it resides in the boot
 sector.

 I currently boot Linux from a floppy.

 I have added the lines:

   append="hd=2477,16,63 hd=683,16,38"

   linear

 to my "lilo.conf" file, and executed lilo to update the boot sector (of the
 floppy I boot from).

 When I boot I receive messages indicating that the above lines have indeed
 gone into effect.

 Incidently, when I boot, I get the message:

   "No BIOS32 extensions present.  This release still depends on it. Sorry."

 If I try to mount my large drive (which is unfortunatly, partitioned/formatted
 as one large DOS [VFAT] drive) with

    mount -t msdos /dev/hda /mnt

 I receive the error message:

    "wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda"

 I have no trouble mounting DOS floppies (/dev/fd0).

 If I run Linux fdisk, go to expert mode and change the heads and cylinders
 to the "bogus" values (i.e., 618 cyls, 64 heads), then look at the partition
 table, I get several errors.  Under DOS or Windows, Norton Disk Doctor says
 that my partition table (and everything else about my drive) is fine.

 Any help accessing my large drive would be appreciated.

Ed can be reached directly at:

 He  and I thank you.

2. Setting up drive mirroring on SCO OSR5.0.0d with 2.1GB SCSI drives?

3. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives

4. Running SCO binaries on Linux?

5. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

6. USB 2.4.20

7. Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards

8. -Advisory-22.UNIX.syslog.2-Aug-1995

9. Patch: linux-2.5.34/drivers/ide/ide.c was building list of drives in reverse order

10. Boot problem on Plato with large IDE/small IDE/CD-ROM

11. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

12. How large a cheapo (E)IDE drive can linux support?

13. How do I install LINUX on a large IDE drive (1.056GB)?