1. Large IDE hard drive & "Big IDEs" HOWTO
(Lifted from my nephew who is presently denied access to News Groups:)
Subject: Large IDE hard drives.
I am unable to access my large IDE drive. Yes, I have read the "big-ide"
help document (which did contain useful information).
I have just installed the Slackware 3.0.0 (ELF) from the 5 CD-ROM set.
I have 1.2GB(hda) and 200MB(hdb) IDE drives on my system. I have installed
Linux on hdb (200MB), dedicating the drive to a ext2 file system and a swap
I have an fairly old system, so I have to use EZ drive software to access
my large IDE drive under DOS/Windows 95. I believe it resides in the boot
I currently boot Linux from a floppy.
I have added the lines:
to my "lilo.conf" file, and executed lilo to update the boot sector (of the
floppy I boot from).
When I boot I receive messages indicating that the above lines have indeed
gone into effect.
Incidently, when I boot, I get the message:
"No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry."
If I try to mount my large drive (which is unfortunatly, partitioned/formatted
as one large DOS [VFAT] drive) with
mount -t msdos /dev/hda /mnt
I receive the error message:
"wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda"
I have no trouble mounting DOS floppies (/dev/fd0).
If I run Linux fdisk, go to expert mode and change the heads and cylinders
to the "bogus" values (i.e., 618 cyls, 64 heads), then look at the partition
table, I get several errors. Under DOS or Windows, Norton Disk Doctor says
that my partition table (and everything else about my drive) is fine.
Any help accessing my large drive would be appreciated.
Ed can be reached directly at:
He and I thank you.
2. Setting up drive mirroring on SCO OSR5.0.0d with 2.1GB SCSI drives?
3. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives
4. Running SCO binaries on Linux?
5. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?
6. USB 2.4.20
7. Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards
9. Patch: linux-2.5.34/drivers/ide/ide.c was building list of drives in reverse order
10. Boot problem on Plato with large IDE/small IDE/CD-ROM
11. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive
12. How large a cheapo (E)IDE drive can linux support?
13. How do I install LINUX on a large IDE drive (1.056GB)?