Slackware Upgrade (Redhat, Slackware, Debian)?

Slackware Upgrade (Redhat, Slackware, Debian)?

Post by Mark W. Salye » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I just purchased the Red Hat Colgate Release and the LSP TRI-Linux
cd-rom set with Slackware, Debian, and Redhat on it.  Couple of
questions.

1.  We have two linux machines that are running kernel 1.2.8 (slackware
2.3) that are doing some things such as (DNS, WWW, Email).  Is is better
to upgrade these to the new slackware withour reinstalling (if it is
possible) or

2.  If that is not possible, what is the easiest way to get to a new
kernal using one of the three.  I don't care which one, unless someone
can give me a good reason to choose.

I guess what I am asking is, what is the easiest way to get from A to B
without major reinstalls and reconfigs.  In case you are wondering, I
bought all three hoping that one would give me a simple upgrade path.

MarkS

Slackware Upgrade (Redhat, Slackware, Debian)?

Post by Jurgen Exne » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I just purchased the Red Hat Colgate Release and the LSP TRI-Linux
> cd-rom set with Slackware, Debian, and Redhat on it.  Couple of
> questions.

> 1.  We have two linux machines that are running kernel 1.2.8 (slackware
> 2.3) that are doing some things such as (DNS, WWW, Email).  Is is better
> to upgrade these to the new slackware withour reinstalling (if it is
> possible) or

I always upgrade step by step. Whenever one of the major utilities has a
new release, it's a good idea to install it.
Then you don't have to bother about upgrading all of your system at once.
And it' much easier to track down problems.

Quote:> 2.  If that is not possible, what is the easiest way to get to a new
> kernal using one of the three.  I don't care which one, unless someone
> can give me a good reason to choose.

Just getting a new kernel is a simple task: Download the kernel source form
e.g sunsite or funet, recompile and reboot.
The problem is, that with a system as old as yours you most probably will
have to update several other utilities as well (libc, gcc, psutils, make,
...). There is a comprehensive list somewhere in
/usr/src/linux/documentation/changes(??)
And this could be a mess, if the system wasn't updated from time to time.

jue
--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

Slackware Upgrade (Redhat, Slackware, Debian)?

Post by Robert Pay » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I would strongly suggest that you reinstall including a fresh format
to ensure nothing is left* around.  All sorts of problems can
crop up with old versions of things left* around by the
Slackware install.  Just make a backup of the system as it exists
now for future reference when doing reconfiguration of the new system.
The headaches you avoid with the fresh install will more than offset
the headaches you will probably incur with an attempt to simply update.

: ------------7F4127AD6B810

[...]

: <HTML><BODY>

: <DT>I just purchased the Red Hat Colgate Release and the LSP TRI-Linux</DT>

: <DT>cd-rom set with Slackware, Debian, and Redhat on it.&nbsp; Couple of
: questions.</DT>

: <DT>&nbsp;</DT>

: <DT>1.&nbsp; We have two linux machines that are running kernel 1.2.8 (slackware
: 2.3) that are doing some things such as (DNS, WWW, Email).&nbsp; Is is
: better to upgrade these to the new slackware withour reinstalling (if it
: is possible) or</DT>

: <DT>&nbsp;</DT>

: <DT>2.&nbsp; If that is not possible, what is the easiest way to get to
: a new kernal using one of the three.&nbsp; I don't care which one, unless
: someone can give me a good reason to choose.</DT>

: <DT>&nbsp;</DT>

: <DT>I guess what I am asking is, what is the easiest way to get from A
: to B without major reinstalls and reconfigs.&nbsp; In case you are wondering,
: I bought all three hoping that one would give me a simple upgrade path.</DT>

: <DT>&nbsp;</DT>

: <DT>MarkS</DT>

: <DT>&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;</DT>

: </BODY>
: </HTML>
: ------------7F4127AD6B810--

--
Robert Payne

  Life without adventure is death -- Ted Nugent
  Use anything but Microsoft -- Me

1. Upgrading from Slackware to Redhat & General Slackware info

I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a reasonably painless metheod
for upgrading from Slackware 3.3 to Red Hat 5.0?  Installing the rpm's
from the net.  Anyone can do a makefs and reinstall using RH. :)

Also I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any sites that
discuss Slackware.  Specifically bugs in the recent distributions.  If
anyone can suggest something I'd apreciate it.

Shawn

2. compiling mpeg_play

3. Upgrading from Slackware 8.0 to Slackware 8.1

4. JetDirect Floods ethernet

5. Compile on Slackware, runs on Slackware, crashes on RedHat

6. Best way to mount a full CD-ROM filesystem onto my own???

7. Slackware, Debian, RedHat. What else?

8. Linux Compatable ISP

9. diff between RedHat, Slackware, Debian, and Caldera linux?

10. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

11. slackware, debian, redhat

12. redhat vs. slackware: why not debian?

13. how compatible are redhat/debian/slackware?