mouse didn't work

Post by Peter Cha » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:33:23

i'm installing the Red Hat Linux 7
(I'm new to Linux - i've install Red Hat Linux 5.2 and 6 once before, but
just using a few day.
That time just for have a look on the new system, and my mouse can be
detected and use.
But this time i really ready to use it, but my mouse can't functioning.)

when starting the setup process, i saw one of the many many message, one of
it is "probing for mouse", then
is "3 button mouse PS/2 found".
But i feel weird with this because my mouse is serial mouse.

then, during the graphical installation process, my mouse cursur can't move
when i move my mouse,
(the mouse is not functioning).
i just continue the installation process by press tab and enter.
In the installation process, i select the serial mouse and COM 2, because in
MS Windows, that's my setting.

after the installation, i reboot my PC, then until the graphical login, i
login.
But i still can't use my mouse.

did anyone can tell me what's the problem ?
what should i do to solve this problem ?

mouse didn't work

Post by g.montgomer » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:39:10

> i'm installing the Red Hat Linux 7
> (I'm new to Linux - i've install Red Hat Linux 5.2 and 6 once before, but
> just using a few day.
> That time just for have a look on the new system, and my mouse can be
> detected and use.
> But this time i really ready to use it, but my mouse can't functioning.)

> when starting the setup process, i saw one of the many many message, one of
> it is "probing for mouse", then
> is "3 button mouse PS/2 found".
> But i feel weird with this because my mouse is serial mouse.

> then, during the graphical installation process, my mouse cursur can't move
> when i move my mouse,
> (the mouse is not functioning).
> i just continue the installation process by press tab and enter.
> In the installation process, i select the serial mouse and COM 2, because in
> MS Windows, that's my setting.

> after the installation, i reboot my PC, then until the graphical login, i
> login.
> But i still can't use my mouse.

> did anyone can tell me what's the problem ?
> what should i do to solve this problem ?

Been there, done that...  Your problem is probably in the  "Pointer section"
of the XF86Config file.  I have to set that up with each installation,
as a function of the specific mouse type I am using.

For example, for my 3-button Mouse Systems "white mouse", I have the
following entry in my /etc/X11/XF86Config file:

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

On another machine, where I am using a three-button Logitech
M-C43, I find the following in my  /etc/X11/XF86Config file:

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "Microsoft"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

You might also check the /dev/mouse link to see if it points to the
port you have your mouse plugged into.

Gene Montgomery

mouse didn't work

Post by Craig Kelle » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 06:13:26

> i'm installing the Red Hat Linux 7
> (I'm new to Linux - i've install Red Hat Linux 5.2 and 6 once before, but
> just using a few day.
> That time just for have a look on the new system, and my mouse can be
> detected and use.
> But this time i really ready to use it, but my mouse can't functioning.)

> when starting the setup process, i saw one of the many many message, one of
> it is "probing for mouse", then
> is "3 button mouse PS/2 found".
> But i feel weird with this because my mouse is serial mouse.

> then, during the graphical installation process, my mouse cursur can't move
> when i move my mouse,
> (the mouse is not functioning).
> i just continue the installation process by press tab and enter.
> In the installation process, i select the serial mouse and COM 2, because in
> MS Windows, that's my setting.

> after the installation, i reboot my PC, then until the graphical login, i
> login.
> But i still can't use my mouse.

> did anyone can tell me what's the problem ?
> what should i do to solve this problem ?

Make sure that /dev/mouse points to the proper port.  COM2 under
windws corresponds to /dev/ttyS1 under Linux (assuming it's not the
psaux PS/2 device):

ln -sf /dev/ttyS1 /dev/mouse

RedHat also allows you to run `setup` as the root user, to use a menu
to do all this (which is what I'd reccomend).

mouse didn't work

Post by Shane Bake » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 17:28:36

Gidday Peter

>i'm installing the Red Hat Linux 7
>(I'm new to Linux - i've install Red Hat Linux 5.2 and 6 once before, but
>just using a few day.
>That time just for have a look on the new system, and my mouse can be
>detected and use.
>But this time i really ready to use it, but my mouse can't functioning.)

>when starting the setup process, i saw one of the many many message, one of
>it is "probing for mouse", then
>is "3 button mouse PS/2 found".
>But i feel weird with this because my mouse is serial mouse.

<snip>

Quote:>But i still can't use my mouse.

I had the same problem with RH 7 - which is weird because earlier versions
found the mouse ok.

I used the "expert" install mode to install RH and told it the mouse was a 2
button on COM1, etc.

I had to use the keyboard during install, but after the initial reboot, the
mouse worked fine.

It seems a silly thing for RH to have missed.

Regards

Shane Baker
Canberra - Australia's national capital
_____________________________
sbakerATpcug.org.au - please correct the obvious from my email address if replying direct
Australian Pets newsgroup - aus.pets  <<>>  Australian Dogs Page - http://www.pcug.org.au/~sbaker/dogs.htm

1. pnpdump didn't find anything (can't get my SB PCI64 to work)

I can't get my SB PCI64 to work :-(
I'm running Linux 2.2.0pre5 on a Debian 2 system.
All Packages should be up-to-date thanks to "apt".

The Parameters in the kernel should be correct, sb is compiled as
module.
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
failed and did not find my Soundblaster.

in the documentation, i read about how to configure the card using the
"isapnptools" and "pnpdump".
But "pnpdump" does not report any devices at all :-(
It looks like it can't find my pnp bios interface. (called "read data")
When I tried to get the address from Windoze98, it tells me that it
isn't using "any known configuration" and reports 4 Addresses, instead
of the standard 1 Address.
I tried all 4 of them using pnpdump, I tried to reconfigure the device
to the standard address using win98 (which did not report any error, but
did not change anything either)
Win98 did report a resource confilct with my Joystick port on the SB,
but i disabled it and the conflict disappeared. This might cause the
problem, if the Joystick port is not yet deactivated at boot time - any
ideas?

The Motherboard is a new Asus Mainboard (don't know brand right now, i'm
not on my own computer now) bought in December - the Bios should be new
enough *g*

Do you have any idea?

Please reply by Email!

Thank you.

---
Erich Schubert

2. Modems

3. mcopy didn't work in Red Hat until `# chmod o+w /dev/fd0'

4. ISDN Card Problem !!!

5. PS/2 type 'mouse systems' mouse wont work

6. HELP: Java problem with netscape 3.01 on AIX

7. The mouse that didn't roar...

8. Strange script output

9. the mouse that didn't roar...

10. the mouse that didn't roar

11. PS/2 mouse in 2.2.5 (kernel config & MAKEDEV psm0 didn't help)

12. IF IT DIDN'T WORK, WHY WOULD I WASTE MY TIME???

13. AHA 1522 clone / NEC 3xi didn't work