Help - can't restore a folder with tar -xp or cpio -im!

Help - can't restore a folder with tar -xp or cpio -im!

Post by Nico Zigoura » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi:

I am using RedHat 5.2.

Please help me.  I try to restore a folder with this command:
tar -xp /usr/data/bird_data/point/

But it never returns.  Should I wait longer or run it some other way?

Should I use cpio and if so, how would I restore above folder?  Does it
just write over the current folder?

Thanks in advance.  Please also reply to my email.

Post by michael.fengle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Please help me.  I try to restore a folder with this command:
>tar -xp /usr/data/bird_data/point/

>But it never returns.  Should I wait longer or run it some other way?

That's because you don't tell tar what archive to use, so it simply
waits for input from stdin. Syntax:
tar xpf name_of_archive

Quote:>Should I use cpio and if so, how would I restore above folder?

Use the same tool that was used to create the archive. If you don't
know, "file name_of_archive" will tell you.

HTH, mike

1. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

Hi!

I got windows XP and Mandrake linux networked with each other.
Lately, I came upon an odd problem.  I save all my downloaded proggys
,music etc in one big folder. It gotten to be 5 gig in size. Lately I
have not been able to write any data to this windows xp share folder
from my linux box. I can read and WRITE /MAKE " NEW FOLDERS ONLY" but
samba refuses to transfer any size file and comes back with a "
insufficient disk space problem " .  Since the share folder is in the
XP machine, and I never had any problems at all before xfering files I
came to the conclusion that it must be either a bug in samba? maybe ?
or a XP share restriction issue.  I checked the share folder
attributes , user, rights etc and all checks well.

I then decided to make a whole new folder and have the same folder
attributes as the one described above. I then tried and sucesfully
transfered a file from linux to windows.  So, according to what I have
seen and learned so far, it seems like windows has a maximum folder
size limit ??? if so, how can you disable it?

Any ideas guys?

TIA!

2. PatchPro 2.2 & Solaris 8: Can I load them all in single-user mode?

3. tar and cpio restore

4. Zsh variable setting commands

5. cpio or tar backup and restore

6. Window managers & X11r6

7. Help: Restoring TAR'd Backup to New Drive

8. Unix on PS/2 with MCA

9. Can't seem to restore correctly with cpio?!?

10. Looking for a better 'tar' than 'tar'

11. Need help with command syntax for performing a remote cpio restore

12. Help needed on restoring files from cpio backups, SCO 3.2

13. Help.... cpio restore and installboot