redhat 2.1 and OS/2 boot manager

Post by br.. » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

Hey,

I created two logical partitions under os/2.  loaded linux (redhat 2.1)
installed packages I required. set LILO.  I told the setup manager to
place LILO in the superblock of the root partition.  I rebooted
went into OS/2 ran fdisk and placed linux in the boot manager menu.
I again rebooted, Boot manager came up, displaying DOS, OS/2 and LINUX.
I selected Linux and got the message that the partition could not be
recognized.

What gives?  Will I be forced to reinstall?

Help appreciated.

Brian

Post by Chandler Howe » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

> Hey,
> I created two logical partitions under os/2.  loaded linux (redhat 2.1)
> installed packages I required. set LILO.  I told the setup manager to
> place LILO in the superblock of the root partition.  I rebooted
> went into OS/2 ran fdisk and placed linux in the boot manager menu.
> I again rebooted, Boot manager came up, displaying DOS, OS/2 and LINUX.
> I selected Linux and got the message that the partition could not be
> recognized.
> What gives?  Will I be forced to reinstall?

Unfortunately, I think you will.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and
I may well be...), but when I set up the same basic thing (Only with
Slakware, Redhat/Caldera, FreeBSD, OS/2, and DOS), I had to put the
Linux file systems on Primary paritions.  I think I tried Logical and
it didn't work (but it could have been FreeBSD that was screwing up,
too...).

Can you boot from a floppy and then load Linux from there?  Are you SCSI
or IDE?  What is your exact configuration?  What make/model/brand of
HDD's?  The more info, the better.

-Chandler

Quote:> Help appreciated.
> Brian

#include <disclaimer.h> /*-------------------------------------------------
Chandler "Bing" Howell            * "There are only two major products    *
UNIX SysAdmin/Programmer/Analyst  *  to come out of Berkeley:  LSD and    *
Sleep Deprivation Test Case       *  UNIX.  We don't believe this to be   *

------------------- http://naftalab.bus.utexas.edu/bing ------------------*
-- "Never trust a software engineer with a screwdriver." --Tim Crowther -*/

redhat 2.1 and OS/2 boot manager

Post by Chris Clar » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> What gives?  Will I be forced to reinstall?
>Unfortunately, I think you will.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and
>I may well be...), but when I set up the same basic thing (Only with
>Slakware, Redhat/Caldera, FreeBSD, OS/2, and DOS), I had to put the
>Linux file systems on Primary paritions.  I think I tried Logical and
>it didn't work (but it could have been FreeBSD that was screwing up,
>too...).

It is possible to run OS/2 and Linux in logical partitions (I'm doing
it, 850 Connor EIDE drive).  I'm running Warp, and Redhat 2.1 (and
Dos, but that's not worh mentioning).

You need to set up Boot Manager to point to your OS/2 and Linux
partitions, then (this is the important part) install Lilo on the
superblock of your Linux parition.  Boot Manager will happily boot
Lilo, which will then happily boot Linux.

Of course, I didn't discover this until two installs and much
reformatting later to try and figure out why the partition wasn't
recognized ;-)

Chances are what you'll have to do is use a boot disk or the install
disks to mount your root filesystem, then you can install Lilo on the
Linux partition without reinstalling.

Cheers,
Chris.
Chris Clarke
Opinions expressed do not reflect those of Hughes Aircraft.

"In the beginning, the universe was created.  This is generally
regarded as a bad move."

redhat 2.1 and OS/2 boot manager

Post by Stefan Preb » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: > Hey,
:
: > I created two logical partitions under os/2.  loaded linux (redhat 2.1)
: > installed packages I required. set LILO.  I told the setup manager to
: > place LILO in the superblock of the root partition.  I rebooted
: > went into OS/2 ran fdisk and placed linux in the boot manager menu.
: > I again rebooted, Boot manager came up, displaying DOS, OS/2 and LINUX.
: > I selected Linux and got the message that the partition could not be
: > recognized.
:
: > What gives?  Will I be forced to reinstall?
Did you create the partitions with os/2's fdisk? if oyu did not,
than you will have trouble.

1. Multiple Operating Systems w/ Boot Manager (OS/2 2.1) [partition NIGHTMARE]

: I seem to be in a bit of a dilemma.

: I have 3 drives: hd #1 - 125 meg partitioned in 1 drive as C:
:                hd #2 - 340 meg partitioned in 1 drive as d:
:                hd #3 - 1600 meg partitioned in 1 drive (510 meg) as e:
:                       *1100 some megabytes totally free
:                       *this drive is on the second eide channel

: I recently purchased a 1.6 gig for my computer (greaty overdue). Now,
: with all this extra disk space, I can install some new operating systems.
: Big problem. How do operating systems handle booting when there are
: several of them? Now I have some choices.. uh.. make that like one
: choice: OS/2 Boot Manager from v2.1.

: I intend to install Linux, OS/2 v2.1 and Windows 95 upon my system which
: already has Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.1. Now, using Boot Manager, is it
: possible to load all 4 different configurations?

: Perhaps you may have a similiar configuration. I would greatly appreciate
: any and all insight that you can provide for me, because I don't feel
: like jumping head-first into murky waters. Thank you in advance.

: .. sorry if I overly cross-posted, I tried to keep it to just a few
: newsgroups.

: -me

  It is not a big deal using OS/2's boot manager to boot DOS/Windoze
operating systems--I have no idea about Win 95.  As far as Linux, there
may be some problems with a disk on the second IDE interface, but I use
OS/2 to select Linux on a separate partition where LILO lies in wait.
There is a LILO faq and some other docs on LILO that come with (at least
Slackware) distributions.  They are also at sunsite and its mirrors.
Get them, read them, understand them.  It will help a lot.

--
Joe Fischer                                          Galena, Ohio, USA
  WB8TDO                                               (central Ohio)

2. Page Fault

3. Help Installing Redhat 5.2, NT4.0, and OS/2 Warp using Boot Manager?

4. Office Suites Reviewed

5. My service can't be stopped by RedHat ELAS 2.1 Cluster Manager.

6. E-Mail Question...

7. How can i use OS/2 Boot Manager for OS/2 & Linux???

8. Q about libraries and ld.so

9. DiskSuite v4.2.1 - File Manager/Disk Manager SUNWadm not available

10. Linux, OS/2, and Os/2's Boot Manager

11. OS/2 2.1 Boot Sols and ?'s

12. OS/2 2.1 Boot mMgr and Linux

13. Changing BSD partition to boot with Boot Manager (OS/2)