How do I got more verbose output with sendmail?

Post by Brian Mill » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

>I send my emails using sendmail. I use my ISP's SMTP server. My problem
>is this. I send the mails when I connect using sendmail -q. I get no
>feedback whatsoever in the xterm window. When I used smail, I used the
>-v option and got reasonable feedback. With sendmail, -v gives *too*
>much info. All I want is something to tell me that messages have been
>sent and accepted by the server.

Do you have access to the expect scripting language?
You might write a script that runs sendmail and greps for the valid
information upon completion of your mailing?

...or maybe you could use elm/pine? there are a host of good
text-based mail programs that are easier to use than sendmail.

Brian
--

1. Verbose output vs. discarding output

Shell is ksh

I want to add a [-v] switch to a shell function to either be verbose or,
in the absense of this switch, send all stdout and stderr to /dev/null.

What is the best practice for this?

Something like

[Use getopts or regular command line processing to set $verbose]

[[ ! -z $verbose ]] && output=/dev/fd/0 || output=/dev/null
exec 1>$output 2>&1

Does the 'exec' apply to the calling script as well? (I dont want it to)

Any other way to do this? Thanks

2. avaih daemon ports

3. verbose last output?

4. Possible PASV port theft...how to fix this error?

5. natd in verbose mode: strange output

6. USENIX 1997 Annual Technical Conference

7. MPICH to display verbose SSH output

8. majordomo and /etc/aliases

9. kbuild: Smart notation for non-verbose output

10. cannot get all verbose ksh output into a log file

12. Problem getting chat to display output under pppd

13. getting the filename from ls output