Redhat 4.0 -- 4.1 login security different?

Redhat 4.0 -- 4.1 login security different?

Post by Alan Westhage » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I just upgraded redhat 4.0 to redhad 4.1.  I have a network
consisting of two w95 machines and my linux pentium.  Previously,
I could ftp, telnet, and samba from the w95 machines.  No longer.

I did notice that redhat had replaced my /etc/passwd.  I restored
it by copying the old file on top of the new one.  I can login
in locally to all of the old passwords, but this doesn't work
remotely.

I have looked for other access files in /etc, but have not found
any that were changed significantly.  What am I missing?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan Westhagen

Post by Tim Wyn » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I just upgraded redhat 4.0 to redhad 4.1.  I have a network
> consisting of two w95 machines and my linux pentium.  Previously,
> I could ftp, telnet, and samba from the w95 machines.  No longer.

> I did notice that redhat had replaced my /etc/passwd.  I restored
> it by copying the old file on top of the new one.  I can login
> in locally to all of the old passwords, but this doesn't work
> remotely.

> I have looked for other access files in /etc, but have not found
> any that were changed significantly.  What am I missing?

> Any help would be much appreciated.

> Alan Westhagen

During updates, Redhat copies existing config files to
<filename>.rpmsave.  Maybe this will help you fine the config file that
got trashed.

--
Tim Wynn

I'd thank you, but they tell me that System Administration
is a thankless job.

1. 4.1 SCSI boot fails, 4.0->4.1 upgrade boot OK

Hi:

I installed 4.1 from scratch on a Digital Celebris P133 box [Phoenix 4.14
BIOS] with an Adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI controller and a 2GB Seagate Barracuda
SCSI disk. The install goes fine [I have to boot from floppy as this system
doesn't support bootable CDROM].

After install, I cannot boot from the disk [which shows up as C: i.e.
disk1].

If I install 4.0 from scratch and then *upgrade* to 4.1 it boots OK. I have
duplicated this on a 2nd machine [same kind of box, but 3 SCSI disks].

I understand that the 4.1 i386 bootstrap code is 2x bigger. Is there some
magic that needs to happen for an older BIOS to work with the new boot
system? I tried 'boot0cfg -o packet' but got no improvement. The system
fails to boot whether I use the boot manager or the basic FreeBSD-only
loader.

Thanks - Jeff Stelzner

2. CR-563 & Soundscape problems

3. Any advantage to upgrading, RedHat 4.0 -> 4.1 ??

4. Passwords

5. DLink DFE-500TX REV-C2 w/DIGITAL 21140-AE Chipset & RedHat 4.0/4.1

6. why I can't I trap sig 19 (sigstop) in bash

7. Read this pls, installating redhat 4.1 over 4.0 and keeping the metro-x server...

8. What happened to doswrite on AIX 4.2.1

9. I have RedHAT 4.1 on CD, why update my 4.0 ????

10. RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 Upgrade

11. RedHat 4.0 -> 4.1 upgrade problem

12. Upgrade Issues - RedHat 4.0 to 4.1

13. RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question